Narcissism – A considerable number of posts have been dedicated to narcissists here on Psych Central, I felt obligated to draw a Mental Health Humor Cartoon; just for them.
The other day the subject of Narcissism came up when I was having coffee with an imaginary friend of mine who revealed the following, she said:
Beverly: Chato what are you saying, that since I am extremely talented, and I’m brilliance, beauty, and beloved and all that…I am NOT special???!!! You believe in me, don’t you? I deserve special treatment. All I do I’m entitled to it. Now if that makes me a Narcissist, THEN the hell with you!!!
Chato: I was saying could you pass the cream.
Symptoms of Narcissistic Personality Disorder*
In order for a person to be diagnosed with narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) they must meet five or more of the following symptoms:
- Has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)
- Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
- Believes that he or she is “special” and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)
- Requires excessive admiration
- Has a very strong sense of entitlement, e.g., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations
- Is exploitative of others, e.g., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends
- Lacks empathy, e.g., is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others
- Is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her
- Regularly shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes
Narcissist talking on Phone: Doris, please, your pedestal is ugly. Mine needs to fit my unique higher- sense of self-importance.
Store Sale sign: Be admired & make others envious -Pedestals
Caption: The Narcissists’ Pedestal, they don’t leave home without it.
Mental Health Humor by Chato Stewart – Narcissists’
*Bressert, S. (2016). Narcissistic Personality Disorder Symptoms. Psych Central. Retrieved on July 2, 2016, from http://psychcentral.com/disorders/narcissistic-personality-disorder-symptoms