I just got back for my first therapy at Charlotte Behavioral Health Care in Punta Gorda. I got sent home with a few work sheets and at the top of one was titled “Warning Signs of Depression.” I thought, hey that would be a great update of my 2008 Mental Health Humor cartoon titled “Signs of Depression” (see post: Top 5 Things To Do If You THINK You’re Depressed (Cartoons)) see toon: https://blogs.psychcentral.com/humor/files/2010/06/MHH_signsofdepression_500.jpg
Sharing – Absolutely Helps
When I’m asked about my depression, I normally make a joke and say it’s depressing. I use humor to deflect the truth because I seriously doubt anyone would want to sit for a few hours and listen to me ramble on…of the hopeless void of pitiful joy-sucking-emotion-draining-worthless-despair I feel over having burnt toast with my scrambled eggs… It’s SO depressing!
If you are lucky and have a friend that will listen, you will find talking helps…even if you think it’s the burnt toast that is making you depressed…when, in reality, it may be something more clinical. The toast may have been a trigger or one of many “Signs Of Depression“ that together may warn of a looming relapse or a warning sign of depressive episode ahead. (You need a professional to determine a diagnosis.)
Warning Signs Of Depression
- * Depressed Mood
- * irritability
- * loss of love/interest in activities
- * Social withdrawal: not calling friend or family, missing work – isolating
- * E-social withdrawal Facebook /Twitter / social network update/ text: accounts deleted or not updated or negative updates with suicidal terminology
- * Preoccupation with death/ Suicidal thinking
- * Sadness and crying
- * No energy – lethargic – apathetic
- * Need for Sleeping – more or less Sleep is one common connection with depression. Many dealing with clinical depression have expressed no need for sleep, the lacking desire to get out of bed. I know this is true for me.
- * Increased or decreased appetite
- * Increased or decreased weight
- * Lose tract of time, and tend to slow down movement – perpetual-slow-motion
- * lack of sexual desire or gratification
- * Physical aches and pains have been noted by many and/or inflammation of co-existing issues.