6 thoughts on “Miracle Recovery: How TV and Movies Distort the Perception of Injury

• January 26, 2018 at 12:42 am

Lots to think about here. You should contact any current shows and offer your services as a consultant.
    How frustrating that acquaintances have such short memories and unrealistic expectations—no doubt helped along by the media—that they lack empathy.

• January 26, 2018 at 12:55 am

Funny, I’ve had friends suggest I consult on TV shows as a story checker because I’m the one who always sees things like on Castle, when he used a can lid to saw through rope when he was tied to a chair, when his daughter Alexis would never have allowed a can to be in the trash–that’s recyclable! >: )

• January 26, 2018 at 2:43 am

I’ve not thought about it much but it’s so true–there are definitely shows out there that are not realistic when it comes to disabilities or injuries.
    Even cartoons do it! Are you old enough to remember the Bugs Bunny/Looney Tunes cartoons? No matter how many times ol’ Wile E. Coyote was tricked by the Road Runner and had a heavy weight dropped on his head from above, he’d “see stars” and then get up for more antics as good as new. Same with Tweety bird after Sylvester the cat got to him. Feathers would fly and then Tweety would be safely in his cage without a scratch on him!
    Kristin, have you seen the recent story about a lady named Natalie Weaver and her disabled daughter Sophia? Sophia has a disease which caused a very obvious facial deformity. Some sick individual found her photo and used it for his own agenda which in this instance, was apparently advocating abortion. This precious child’s mother was understandably outraged when people made her aware of it!
    I find it DISGUSTING when people do things like using an innocent child’s disability to promote hatred or make some political statement!

• January 26, 2018 at 11:46 am

I haven’t seen that story. Wow. Totally using people he probably didn’t even know.

• January 26, 2018 at 5:53 am

When I went through my divorce, people said such unfeeling things. They suggested I was so much better off. They assumed I was dating and a party girl, even though I never had been. One fellow churchmember even said she didn’t tell me about her own marital problems because she knew I would tell her to get a divorce and ahe didn’t believe in it. Ouch. Apparently she had no idea I wouldn’t wish that pain on anyone, no matter how necessary. I later realized none of these people had been touched by divorce. They had no idea what horrible pain is involved even if you’re leaving a bad situation. Even if they were close to me and smart people, they couldn’t know.

So maybe people think the way they do because they simply don’t know. They do see tv etc which make it looks like that’s how things are. You may just have to sigh heavily and explain. Gets old but at least they know. And btw- that woman ended up getting a divorce without advice from me to do so. 😉

• February 1, 2018 at 8:57 am

I understand completely. My wife had two craniotomies within 6 weeks. They didn’t shave her head, so no visible incision. Though one year out and improving, she still has serious balance and fatigue issues that vary from day to day.