7 thoughts on “Ableism in Animal Rescue: A Story

• January 31, 2020 at 10:05 pm

As an elderly woman with disabilities, I can tell that my problems do not, in any way, compromise the care and nurturing that my 3 dogs receive. We are good for each other. We comfort and care for each other. I fostered disabled and abused animals for 40 years before i retired. We have fostered over 300 animals over the years. Do not tell me I am not capable of providing for their needs and living with me is a sacrifice.

• January 31, 2020 at 10:11 pm

Linda, I so agree! I love that you are in dog rescue, and that you help each other. That’s what it’s all about. Thanks for sharing your story.

• January 31, 2020 at 11:20 pm

I think Morgan was being treated unreasonably. It seems as tho she had an excellent home for a dog and the shelter should have been very happy to have found her..instead. They were very uncaring about finding a good he for a lucky dog

• February 1, 2020 at 2:42 pm

I have 2 rescue dogs in Honolulu, I know the shelters do their best for the animals but it is subjective review by staff which is unfortunate. They should be regulated, yet smaller rescue organizations do good work. We need regulations and a balance. They should also protect the adoptees private health information.

• February 2, 2020 at 3:43 pm

That is just crazy.either you’re there to adopt dogs or not?make up your mind.i see nothing wrong with that woman having the dog.therefore if you keep rejecting her in this matter I will contact someone that will check out your place to see if you should be able to have dogs to adopt.you have the perfect couple to adopt this dog.sounds shady to me.we’ll check your place out to see if you’re fit to adopt dogs out to people like them who can give the dog a chance at life and a new home.think about it.

• February 4, 2020 at 12:44 am

My first thought is that Jan could be an animal hoarder, finding any excuse not to give up the dog. It was stated that it was being fostered by her in her home. I am curious to know if the shelter was very full. The first person I would re-home the dog with would be someone who needed it as bad as the dog needed them! Elderly people need them too. This makes me sad.

• February 4, 2020 at 1:00 am

I wondered that too, Colleen. There is no shelter; this is a home foster org with 3 foster homes, and this woman had 7 dogs at her house. You would think she’d be anxious to place them out. I wondered if she had any intention of releasing the dogs to anyone.