7 thoughts on “Toxic Positivity: It’s a Thing

• May 3, 2019 at 3:24 am

Thank u for saying this! Best thing I’ve read in awhile. It needed to be said!

• May 4, 2019 at 6:42 am

Thanks for writing this – it’s so true. Sadly I think most of the Law of Attraction writings have really exploded this type of thinking. My example is just 3 months after my partner died being told that I could choose how I felt about it. As if I could just choose to be happy and bypass all that yucky grief stuff. It felt really profoundly invalidating, annoying and unhelpful.

• May 4, 2019 at 11:13 am

Wow, Karen, that was insensitive. I’m sorry that person made it even worse for you.

• May 4, 2019 at 5:33 pm

Brilliant…. I totally connected with your feelings on this ….. I have a reply for such waffle from the ‘overt dictatorial positivity gang’ – ‘I’m sorry would you mind leaving your unicorn in the parking lot!’
    It stops people in their tracks and brings them back down to earth somewhat! 😊

• May 4, 2019 at 5:46 pm

I love that! Totally copying you. 🙂

• May 4, 2019 at 10:45 pm

Thank you for this! My narc mother started with this nonsense after reading “The Secret”. So annoying.

• May 5, 2019 at 9:00 pm

I absolutely hate it when people minimize the pain a person is feeling and comes up with some bullshit quote about how to overcome the adversity that is happening to you. Life and problems are real. Magic quotes are just that…sometimes they help you get into a more positive mood and other times it is just maddening and infuriating. Easy for them to say when they aren’t living your life