6 thoughts on “Emigrating to Canada? With a Pre-Existing Condition, Maybe Not.

• August 29, 2018 at 11:12 pm

This is important and helpful information for your audience. I hope you are able to emigrate and purchase the tiny house. The perfect location among all those friends and natural resources would enhance your health and wellbeing.

• August 29, 2018 at 11:15 pm

It’s true, Anne. Even with a fresh knee injury, I kept forgetting to take my pain meds. I think I could maybe reduce to “rescue dosing” in that setting.

• August 31, 2018 at 3:24 am

Hi Kristin,
    The moving situation re: Canada and the tiny house sounds like it would be a wonderful thing for you in many ways. I hope you can make it happen!
    I really could write a lot about this topic but some of it is rather private so I will share what I can here and hope it makes sense lol…
    About 10 or so years ago, I hoped to move to Ontario, Canada. I had visited my then partner there several times since 2003 and a couple of times I stayed for up to 6 months. So I became familiar with the area, made some friends, and began looking at how we could get this done without marriage (in which case I’d have been automatically eligible as the spouse of a Canadian citizen). Turns out, this was NOT easy by any means, and even less so due to my partner not making quite enough, according to required gov’t standards, to sponsor me (that is, agree to support me financially until I was able to take responsibility for myself). Even though we obviously would be living together, we were told it would be quite difficult if not impossible — and neither of us could afford potentially lengthy legal services at the time.
    I was told (and had also understood to be the case through my own research) that I COULD move on my own qualifications so to speak if I: had a Bachelor’s degree or higher in certain fields of study (I do) AND could find an employer willing to sponsor me by completing paperwork regularly etc., OR, if I had the financial wherewithal to invest a significant amount in a Canadian business OR had the finances to guarantee I could completely support myself for, I think 6 months to a year before the universal health care would cover me.
    MY problem (aside from money and a partner who had just started a new job, and had financial struggles due to an unpleasant divorce plus supporting 3 children) was that, being on disability, I could not at that point do any work at all and I was afraid too that having been hospitalized for depression several years prior would cause them to discriminate against me or outright deny me entry!
    Given that I lived in subsidized housing, it was quite scary for me to risk giving that up so I could move to Canada, losing a very modest food supplement benefit and then, what if it didn’t work and I was denied? My apartment here would have been taken by someone else and there was a rather long waiting
    list at the time.
    In the end, I had to eventually break up with my ex for a reason totally unrelated to moving (dishonesty in a few significant issues) so it was for the best in that sense; but I still miss Canada!

• August 31, 2018 at 10:10 am

Thank you for this, it makes me feel less alone. I’m sorry it didn’t work out for you. I have limited ability to work but with my various handcrafts, a tourist economy would be better for me than where I am now. As my friend Tom says, “you’d be amazed at the s*** people will buy on vacation.” It’s never not going to be a hardscrabble life for us; it would just be nice to have more control over where we do our scrabbling. Money may not buy happiness, but it can help clear the path to it.

• October 28, 2018 at 10:48 pm

My husband and I had looked forward to retiring to Nova Scotia. Just 9 months before he retired, I contacted an illness that requires expensive treatment. We were so disappointed. But I can see their side. They could not take care of their citizens if every sick American moved there. I am doing well, I moved by Lake Michigan and I pretend it is the ocean. You have a wonderful country with great people. I enjoyed hosreback riding and seeing moose and whales. I will continue to visit.as often as possible.

• October 28, 2018 at 10:55 pm

I’m sorry that happened to you, Brenda. I’m being blocked for income reasons, but I’m still applying and denonstrating how little I really need when my annual housing expense would only be $5,400 CAD. I’m not giving up until they bar the door. Which could happen.