6 thoughts on “Understanding the Sounds of Silence in Your Relationship

• February 8, 2010 at 8:46 pm

Great info. I just forwarded to my niece who is a psych major and is studying abroad in Austrailia. Thanks for sharing

• February 8, 2010 at 9:45 pm

Linda: Thanks for sharing – glad your following the blog – Suzanne

• September 27, 2014 at 3:03 pm

My husband is easily offended. I don’t know what I’ve done “wrong” most of the time. But I am rewarded with hours or days of silence, which sends me into a tailspin and then I end up doing and saying things out of that state of anxiety. At the end of it all, it’s all my fault. All of it. I feel abused, exhausted and crazy. Scared, really.
    He knows what his silence does to me because I’ve told him many times. And this stems from childhood for me. This happened recently with me at one point (on day 2) in the fetal position begging for comfort from him. He literally stood there staring at me, but making no effort to comfort me; no words, no touch. It was pure agony for me.
    I know I need help. But what do I do when he won’t even acknowledge he has a problem?

• August 20, 2015 at 6:01 pm

I ju8st wanted to say to janedoats im completely in sync and understand how she feels. My husband is a captain of a tugboat and is gone regularly 30days and home 14 then back out. My husband goes WEEKS without talking to me,not even a text. I only hear something if he posts to facebook now or then and its curt. ..When hes home he ignores me by staying busy (yard chores ect) . All i wanted to say was i identified and understood what you were saying completely. Its VERY hard to deal with someone ANYONE especialy a spouse when they feel your the entire problem and they are just fine….It SUCKS!!!

• October 5, 2015 at 6:07 am

My boyfriend calls me to go to his house…in his call he spend more than 30 mins talking. but when we physically meet…he rarely talks. in this instance he call me to go to his house, i go open the door, straight to his bedroom, he doesn’t talk to you…not even a welcm me. He makes love to me..still no talking. i get so stressed en leaves his house so annoyed and disturbed.

• July 25, 2017 at 3:54 pm

There are plenty of situations where shutting up is the right strategy. There are also plenty of benefits to doing so. It’s no secret – sometimes I open my mouth when I should be doing exactly the opposite and before those of you who agree start spewing “I can’t stand when he talks” just realize at least I’m self aware – are you? Hmmm.