9 thoughts on “Why Do People Have More Than One Pet?

• January 7, 2011 at 11:54 am

My wife and I have almost always had multiple cats. Every single one has been a ‘rescue’, mostly from around our neighborhood. We’ve probably had 12 neighborhood cats fixed, once we befriended them.

At one point we had nine cats. They were all loved and missed, most are gone now and we’re down to three. I do miss the ones that are gone, but I have no desire to go back to that many cats.

One of my most famous stories is evacuating from hurricane Rita with 9 cats. We spent 36 hours in our SUV with them. It wasn’t nearly as bad as you might think. We had a litterbox set up in the back and my wife filtered it instantly whenever one of the them went. I wouldn’t want to do it again, but it wasn’t too bad.

• January 7, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Kevin: Thanks for your comment – you sound like courageous folks ( 9 cats in an SUV!) who love and have really loved and cared for your cats. – Suzanne

• January 7, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Multiple pets, for me first is that they are for each other, no matter how much I learn about cats, I can not speak ‘cat’ and in many ways 2 cats are easier then one cat.

I also foster cats, and integrate them into the household if possible until they are adopted.

I have fostered kittens from a hoarding house. They typically are not well, and take extra time with health issues.

The article mentioned a 3 dog night. With my two and 4 fosters I would often wake up in a 4-5 cat night, until I bought a massage table warmer and set it up at the end of my bed. ( I am not too tall ) Before that I found it difficult to turn over and not disturb the cats.

Weather change here and my cat is having an asthma attack(sounds like a hairball cough) off to catch her and treat her with her inhaler.
    Thanks for the article.

During times of the flare-up of the depression symptoms cats will get you out of bed to be fed, and that then reminds me to feed myself. During the summer my cats like to go for a walk and are leash trained.
    My one cat seems to know when I need ‘attention’ and becomes a clingon shoulder cat.

• January 7, 2011 at 6:39 pm

Gently: You name seems a suitable match for the tender care and reciprocal exchange that happens with you and your cats – Thanks for your comment – Suzanne

• January 8, 2011 at 9:24 am

You covered a lot of great points in this blog. Good job! As a family with 2 kids, 2 dogs, and 1 cat we found ourselves represented!

• February 13, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Hello my friend! I wish to say that this post is awesome, nice written and include almost all vital infos. I would like to see more posts like this .

• November 3, 2011 at 9:11 pm

made my way to your page from yahoo and and am glad i found it, hope you keep up the good work

• May 22, 2016 at 2:50 am

We have had six dog all together. Most times when we would lose one, we went out and got a replacement for that one (not that any dog would really replace the other one). We recently had to put down our 13 year old pit/boxer Lacey who was a good dog. She was wonderful with people, but not always dog friendly. If someone started a fight with her, I could almost always say she finished it. She even gave the vet a bad time about putting her down. My guess is that she could smell the medicine and didn’t want to get a shot. To make a long story short, she is buried in the yard with 4 other dogs. I say goodnight to all of them at night and good morning when I feed the birds. We still have our dog “Baby” Luther who is almost 6 years old and we got some propaganda from the Humane Society today with a story about a puppy that some loser threw out a three story window. She is a pit bull puppy who is very cute. We have found out where she is for the weekend and are trying to see if it makes sense to adopt her. I take Luther to the dog park every day in my old Honda “Dog Taxi” and he seems to have a good time, and when we leave him home we know the house will be the way we left it when we come back, so this is our situation here. We are still up in the air as to what to do. We are 70 and 69 years old but very active and lively so we don’t feel that way. We have our wills set up to cover any pets we may have when our expiration dates come up. I plan to live to 100 to piss off the competition. Nice site you have here. Thanks.

• June 15, 2016 at 9:39 pm

Paul – Thanks for this wonderful comment and the amazing love and care you and your wife share with you pets. They are very lucky and we are lucky to hear from someone who seems to enjoy some of the best things in life – Thanks, Suzanne