108 thoughts on “Does Covid-19 Cause Abnormal Menstruation Clotting? Three Women’s Traumatic Experiences

• April 22, 2020 at 1:28 pm

I became ill a few weeks before I was due to get my period. My case was never confirmed as Covid 19 but I am sure it was. Normally I spot for a week prior to my period but I didn’t this time. I was also about 5 days late. When it came it was awful and heavy and full of massive clots. I’m now reading that covid19 is causing blood clotting. I haven’t read anywhere else though that it would affect menstruation it would be interesting to know if these are coincidences or are linked to it.

• April 22, 2020 at 3:15 pm

That makes five of us who have experienced the same thing. I don’t believe it’s coincidence at all. 🙁 Thank you for commenting.

Ivy

• May 21, 2020 at 4:03 pm

6, same for me. I got ill before the shut down, and am still not fully recovered. I now have two heavy periods a month. Not normal.

• June 17, 2020 at 5:39 am

Same here currently going through massive menstrual clots 🙁 I was actually on birth control but I think the virus is so strong that it still pulled my period to start out of cycle and it is HORRIBLE. I’m on day 13 of the virus and day 6 of my period. I’m so glad this thread was started .

• July 20, 2020 at 1:13 pm

Second period in 3 weeks , 3 boxes of super tampons, tested positive for Covid July 1 and I am over my period!!! Over it!!

• July 20, 2020 at 2:02 pm

I too experienced similar things. I believe I had Covid in January before it “arrived” in the states. I believe my daughter started having symptom November. I had never seen her sicker and she did gasp for air for weeks. The drs prescribed antibiotics and cough syrup for her.
        I felt the beginning effects of covid at the end of December/ early January. My symptoms were fairly mild. Mild fever, cough, etc. My first January period was horrific. It was so bad I called my gynecologist and scheduled an appointment. I decided to wait until after the period but had another intense period later in January and another in February. In March it was heavy but back to a regular schedule and since then they have been progressively better. I had horrible breast pain. I actually thought I could have been pregnant and miscarried because that was the only explanation for my horrible clotting.
        I have also had pleurisy symptoms from January through April. Pockets of pain in my lungs that traveled every day. I have a google search history where I searched for all kinds of links to these symptoms from MONTHS ago! This was all prior to covid hitting the states.
        I found this thread because I just got a call to reschedule my appointment with my gyno. The appointment never happened because of the shutdown. And it sort of occurred to me that I had all of the other symptoms and just remembered seeing clots as a symptom the other day.

• June 23, 2020 at 3:49 am

I’m.Corona postive patient .my menstrual period delayed.why?

• June 8, 2020 at 10:52 am

I was looking for medical research on this. I am very regular not in meno, but after a bit of very odd diarrhea unlike any I have ever experienced -like a shedding of the lining of intestines- and other symptoms in March, I had a heavy terrible proof and now 2 months of amenorrhea. It is totally unexplained by hormone testing and an MRI I had because of cognitive symptom, a few hours of lack of speech to some extent and dizziness. I wish there were some investigation into this.

• June 9, 2020 at 10:09 am

I also experienced swollen painful breasts unlike anything before. Breasts have a lot of epithelial cells and ACE2 receptors that Covid has affinity to. Is it possible these were inflamed? Has anyone else experienced this? I posted earlier, then thought of this.

• June 15, 2020 at 3:40 pm

To Ann. Yes, I have had painful swollen breasts also since becoming sick and ending up with these crazy periods. I had not made the connection. Thank you.

• July 7, 2020 at 10:49 am

I have also had abnormally intense breast pain and swelling — pain that did not always go away when my “period” started (as you would expect).
        Between April 1 and June 15, I had 6 periods (in 10 weeks), heavy, long, clotty.
        All tests from doctor have come back 100% normal, except I am now iron-deficient (surprise surprise).
        The breast pain though, was UNBEARABLE.

• April 23, 2020 at 11:44 pm

I landed on this page as a result of researching the effect of COVID-19 on menstrual cycles. I have a friend who believes she had COVID-19, but was not able to acquire testing. One of the most notable points for her was overwhelmingly heavy periods (soaking 1-2 pads instantly at times), as well as mass expulsion of clots.

• April 25, 2020 at 6:54 pm

My period is a week late so far. 99% sure I’ve had covid for at least two weeks.

• April 27, 2020 at 9:14 pm

Good to know I am not alone. I was just diagnosed with Covid-19. My normal period was just ending when it came back with a vengeance. Lots of clotting and an extremely heavy flow.

• May 1, 2020 at 10:43 pm

ME TOO! My period started late last week (day before my symptoms started), then slowed down. Tuesday I had to go to my OBGYN to get my IUD replaced and the bleeding and pain that day was excruciating, like I definitely didn’t feel like that last time I got an IUD in. I had the test Wednesday, got the positive result yesterday and my bleeding and pain has been absolutely ridiculous!! I totally assumed it had to do with putting in the new IUD, but I talked to my OB today and she said it definitely could be the virus affecting me more than the IUD switch. At least I’m not alone, but I’m praying this goes away soon! 🙁

• April 29, 2020 at 11:49 am

I came upon this as I was wondering the same thing and decided to research. I believe we had Covid in my household and myself and 2 daughters all experienced some degree of menstrual abnormality. It will be interesting to see if this suspicion is ever confirmed.

• April 30, 2020 at 6:34 am

Count me in too. I just turned 59 and menopause was my stage in life. I had such clots , they reminded me of jelly or Jello (USA product) for a couple of months along with the bouts or diarrhea body aches and extreme exhaustion and visual disturbances. all coming and going. my fever was odd. I would drop down to about 96.6 F where the average person is 98.6.. my body temp is always 97.3 to 97.6 but when it dropped down a full degree I had the symptoms of a fever that went up higher with all the chills. I would have to pile on the blankets in order to raise my body temp and feel better. but the most surprising thing was the vaginal clots. i was in shock! i worked with the cruise lines at a Port and i was doing security pat downs so i know that I was exposed to the virus back in Feb. i have not been tested… the states have not gotten any of that together as they should have especially here in Fort Lauderdale Florida.

• May 1, 2020 at 10:47 pm

I will say that I have had a very similar experience when it came to my fever. Like, I never actually got a “fever” per se, my temp was consistency 95.7-97.5 (my norm is same as yours), but definitely had the body aches/chills. I know for a fact I had a fever just based off how my body felt and my head was pretty warm… so weird how it affects everyone so differently!

• May 17, 2020 at 10:27 am

so true! everybody is so different but similar at the same time. its very strange.

• May 1, 2020 at 7:46 pm

I found this page looking for information on whether doctors or others had similar experiences. I have not had covid to my knowledge, but close colleagues have tested positive (people who were in my small office, handed me papers, boxes, phones, coughed in my office, etc…) starting the weekend before they were diagnosed I have had 3 periods within 7 weeks that are heavier than ever in my 32+/- experience with massive clots. My concern is that I had the virus but was asymptotic, but what did it do to my body? I was very glad to find this, and believe we’re all in similar situations.

• May 2, 2020 at 1:31 pm

I found this thread in the same way after two weeks of COVID symptoms including Shortness of breath, fatigue, aching, chills, cough and the strangest on and off low grade fever every day, mostly 99.1, never higher than 100.3. I was supposed to ovulate last week, have had cramping, swollen lymph in my groin and mid cycle bleeding Every day. My fever ended yesterday finally but today I started bleeding as if I were menstruating. I am normally extremely regular so wondered if this was all connected or not. Thank you for providing another piece to this puzzle.

• May 3, 2020 at 8:59 am

This is such an interesting read. My partner has corona virus and I’m m pretty sure I had it but very midly. However, what I did experience was a delayed turn really heavy, really long period with clots which is completely unusual for me. Haven’t found anything on the Internet to specifically link periods and corona then came across your blog. Wondering if fighting the virus, whether symptomatic or not, produces period problems, perhaps the body slips ovulation whilst fighting corona which in turn causes issues. Be interesting to see if anything scientific ever comes out to support this.

• May 3, 2020 at 11:07 pm

Yes me too. Period came a week late and lots of clots

• May 4, 2020 at 4:37 am

Hi from the Netherlands! I’ve experienced the same thing. I had a pneumonia, but in hindsight I must say I think it was already covid back then. Afterwards, my period began. I have to admit I always have a heavy period, but this time, it kept flooding. Went to see a gynaecologist to check. Asked her whether there could be a association with the pneumonia. She laughed and said no. Now I read this…

• May 5, 2020 at 4:38 am

I had the exactly same experience. I believe me & my family had Coronavirus. All Short of breathe and the children spiked temperatures, this lasted a month. We had a moment we thought we got passed it but then the next day would feel worse again.

My periods are never heavy. I was a couple of days late. Then suddenly bleeding into my trousers, nothing would hold the amount of blood loss.

I passed golf ball clots and went to GP the following day because I felt well. He started me on medication to ease the bleeding. It took 3 days to finally slow down.

• May 5, 2020 at 12:25 pm

Hello from Turkey. I am a nurse and I got covid19 disease. there was no sign of illness. I used Tamiflu and plaqunil. Tamiflu had a side effect and I quit.I’m healed. I became a period after 1 week. My period is very painful and slow. My bleeding is very dark and clotted. I also had diarrhea. I have incredible abdominal pain and feel very cold. There is loss of appetite. While researching this, I read you and realized that I was not alone.

• May 5, 2020 at 11:38 pm

Hello, I am SO glad I found this thread. I also had covid-19 and my period arrived a week early, 2 days after symptoms started while I am usually extremely regular 27 or 28 days, never more, never less ! But it seems that my next cycle is also affected except this time being late and no sign of menstruation ( I am not pregnant) … I understand this is fairly recent for everybody but did your cycle return to normal after it was messed-up by Covid ?

• May 17, 2020 at 10:34 am

after a few months of this weird bleeding, because i am menopausal, i am finally getting back to being ‘normal’ , more normal then ever. i also have no active symptoms of covid19 but i do still have shortness of breath.

• July 27, 2020 at 6:21 pm

I have been searching and searching for anything to link COVID with STOPPING periods. I am 40 and generally pretty regular. 27ish day cycles. I got ill mid-March. Had a period a week or so in, before I got really ill, then nothing since then AT ALL. Some minor cramping a few days or sore breasts but nothing. Have done two pregnancy tests-not pregnant. Recent blood tests suggest thyroid ok and no other symptoms of menopause…what is going on????

• May 6, 2020 at 9:51 am

Scary! I’m from Sweden. I heard a few more in Sweden who like myself had there periods changed by covid-19. I made a search and found this site and realize that we are not alone. I have not got tested, but I have had corona symptoms for 7 weeks. My last period was 1 week earlier and only lasted for 2 days (usually last longer) and I should have my next by now and feel no sign of it.

• May 6, 2020 at 10:52 am

Thank you for your post. I have never missed a period since 1981 (except when I was pregnant). I am now 2 weeks late. My physician agreed with me that I probably had covid-19 back in late February based on other symptoms (including on-going symptoms, worsening of other conditions such as seasonal allergies, asthma, etc.) Now this. I am SURE it is related. Waiting for researchers to catch up.

• May 6, 2020 at 12:39 pm

*Edited to say to those who would suggest my situation is stress-induced: I have CPTSD & while yes, this time is stressful (I also live in NY), it is most definitely not the most stressful time in my life.

• May 8, 2020 at 8:20 am

Interestingly, when I went to log into the C-19app (part of the Covid Symptom Study by King’s College London and others) today, it asked for additional information regarding periods (whether I was having periods and whether I was on the pill).

• May 8, 2020 at 12:04 pm

I was sick in March and my very regular period was 2 weeks late. I then bled heavily for 12 days. I got so weak and anemic I had to go to the dr and was very close to needing a transfusion. I could not take more than a few steps without panting for air. The week of massive clots was terrifying. I really think I had the virus, it was the scariest,weirdest illness I had. My cycle has since been perfectly normal. I have been searching for anyone else who went through this. Thank you ladies because I needed to know I wasn’t alone!

• May 8, 2020 at 11:35 pm

I am a 45 yr old nurse in Ohio. I am currently awaiting my COVID test result, and I am on week 3 of my period. During week one, I had a day where I could not leave the house, because I was passing golf ball size clots all day. Stress? Perhaps…but I was also in the ER this week with chest pain and an erratic heart rate that could not be explained by blood work, CXR or EKG. I have also had a low grade fever that weirdly fluctuates. I feel we are definitely on to something here.

• June 10, 2020 at 10:15 pm

This is me to a T!

• July 9, 2020 at 1:56 am

I had these exact symptoms in March. I bled heavily for six weeks after skipping a period in February. I passed huge clots. I went to the gynecologist and all of my tests came back normal, but I insisted that this was NOT normal. I am 42 so we considered perimenopause but that didn’t sync with my history and hormone levels. I had hot flashes on and off. I was short of breath but have been so sedentary since the pandemic that I brushed it off as being out of shape. My period last month was also heavy and longer than usual, about two weeks with spotting in between. This month it was around 9 days and heavy but better. I am hoping that it will get back to normal in another cycle. I am so grateful for this thread, I did not have a Covid test but now believe I likely had it.

• July 26, 2020 at 7:41 am

So glad I found this thread! I spent every day in a small office with my work partner who tested positive for COVID before the office locked down In March 2020. He had terrible symptoms while I had only a weird, persistent cough. Then the bleeding started. I am 49 and was in pre-menopause without having a period in six months. Unbelievable, intense bleeding with continuous clots lasted six weeks – I didn’t think that was possible. Dr suspected uterine fibroids, but only one period was bad after that. I seem to be kicked out of menopause now. There is now no doubt in my mind that this was caused by Covid.

• May 9, 2020 at 4:35 pm

I’m pediatrician from Serbia and I’m 49 years old. My son and husband suffered from kind of weird sinusitis and pneumonia in January, 2020. Now I’m sure they suffered from Covid-19. Seven days later I got sick from the worst sinusitis in my life, and on the 6th day of menstrual bleeding I got massive bleeding with clots. The next day I measured low Hgb level 8,7 g/dL and modestly high CRP level. I felt exosted for next 5-6 weeks. Next two menstrual cycles were OK. I’m sure that SARS-CoV-2 did something to endothelial cells of blood vessels of uterus. In the future, we will find out and understand what happend with all of us. I’m very happy to find this blog, because women know.

• May 10, 2020 at 8:33 am

Thank you for your comment. I had terrible sinusitis in February and everybody else in our house had some rather bizarre illness. I told my doctor I thought it was covid-19 and she laughed (I’m in New York). She finally agreed with me a week ago (I still have a sinus headache.)

• May 12, 2020 at 3:32 pm

Thanks for adding this. Not to criticize:) What people call “sinus headaches” are actually migraine headaches. My parents always have used the sinus term and refuse to accept that it is inaccurate. The reason I’m telling you this is because other people are having migraines as possible Covid symptoms. The treatment is much different than for a sinus infection. I’m having a migraine this week. Hormonal shifts and irritation of nerves in the head can cause migraines. The simple treatment is to take a Tylenol with a caffeinated beverage when the symptoms start. Don’t take more than one painkiller pill per day. So, yes, I think it is related to your illness. There is also a genetic tendency toward migraines. My parents and sibling have them. Good luck!

• May 20, 2020 at 7:27 am

I am 20-years expirienced MD and know how to make difference beetwen sinusitis headache and migraine. In my case, everything was so weird. I almost had gone to hysterectomy. I had night sweats, too, for more than one month. I was more tired but Hgb levels were better.
        As a MD and pediatrician, I ask myself what was that?

• May 9, 2020 at 7:01 pm

I came down with a flu in early March. I live in Canada, had not travelled or had anyone close to me travel, so Dr. Wouldn’t test for covid. I had the worst blood clots ever. I use a diva cup and within minutes, it would be overflowing. I was so scared (I’m 47 so I know what’s normal for my body and this was not). Went away as quickly as it came on.i started wondering if it was linked when I heard about blood clots being linked to covid. And came across your blog. I can’t wait for an antibody test to see if it was in fact covid.

• May 9, 2020 at 9:58 pm

It makes sense for Covid19 to affect periods since it causes miscarriages by effecting the uterus. It also cause blood clots. My husband and I were sick with a nasty illness that went around his workplace when the coronavirus was in USA but it wasn’t publicly known yet. Since then I’ve had flows that last three weeks with one or two weeks in between. Yes, the soaking flow is a terrible inconvenience and has ruined a lot of clothes. This has never happened before in my life (I’m in my 40’s). The sudden gushes are weird. Normally that would only happen on the first day of my flow, not three weeks straight. I’m not any more stressed than usual. I don’t think it is stress-related. In the lungs the virus causes sloughing of tissue, that comes to my mind about this.

• May 10, 2020 at 12:32 am

I was on my period the first day of my coronavirus symptoms. It was long and horrible. Two weeks later, while still sick, another horrible period. And two weeks later…another. I had three very heavy, horrible clotting periods in a 6 week time frame.
    A friend of mine also was Covid19 positive, and had a similar experience to mine.

• May 10, 2020 at 2:36 pm

I am on day 8 of my period which is a first.

Typically, the first two to three days will be on the heavier side, sometimes with some small clots but nothing huge.

What is odd to me, though, is how long this one is going. I’m still seeing bright red blood which is alarming to me.

For ten days I’ve had diarrhea, the last six days I’ve had awful acid reflux, nausea, I feel hot and cold at the same time, and have chest pain/pressure/tightness and shortness of breath at random.

I tested negative but was told there is a 30% false negative rate. So here I am, two weeks in, still not confident to rejoin my family 🙁

• May 10, 2020 at 4:12 pm

I am from the USA and my cycle started the day after my COVID symptoms did. I usually do not have periods while on birth control, in fact last one was 6 months ago. Not this time, horrible cramps, clots, bleeding, it’s been awful. I was looking to see if it was just me and I’m relieved it’s not. This is so weird!

• May 10, 2020 at 4:17 pm

Oh wow!! So many of us!

Think you`d count me in too! First my period was late about 3 weeks and since, I have had a long bleeding with clots -never experienced before. I think my bleeding was not as strong as described from others. But still. Long period up to three weeks. Weakening flow and after three days it startet again. Many more clots…
    I work on a ICU here in Switzerland and was taking care of several COVID-19 patients. But beside of this super weird bleeding I am totally asymptomatic!

In my case, I still have my period for almost a fortnight today. Haven`t seen or talked to my doctor yet, since besides of the bleeding there are no other symptoms. Even my ususal period pain was totally obsolete this time…

Thank you for providing this site -it was the only one I found related to this topic at all.

Take care ladies!

• May 12, 2020 at 8:57 pm

Hello everyone…
    Like many of you, I’ve been on the “hunt” for answers. I’m somewhat relieved (and still very much concerned) that I’m reading similar accounts of what I also experienced in mid-March. My husband, son and I were in the Dominican Republic in early March for Spring Break. As luck would have it, my menstrual cycle occurred on vacation. It was normal, on time, and manageable. I’m 47 years old, and in good health. When we arrived back in the U.S., my cycle had completed, but I felt under the weather. I had a sore throat, was fatigued, and my chest felt heavy. My husband felt the same, so we contacted a general Nurseline and discussed our symptoms. We were advised to monitor our symptoms and temperature and contact our primary physician should things worsen. That was Friday, 3/13. That evening, I woke up with blood-soaked pajamas. Perplexed, because I thought my cycle was over, I chalked it up to peri-menopause, travel, my age, etc. That weekend, I continued to use tampons/pads while managing a very heavy flow. Again, I didn’t speculate anything out of the ordinary. On Sunday evening, my husband woke me up complaining of a fever. He was 103.8 F and sweating profusely. We decided on Monday morning, we would contact our Physician for a Covid-19 test. All three of us tested negative for Influenza and Strep Throat. At that time, Covid tests were extremely scarce and reserved for those with underlying health conditions. We were advised to quarantine.
    For the next two weeks, my “presumed” menstrual resurgence resulted in massive blood loss, and blood clots the size of my palm. At one point, I woke up in the middle of the night soaked in blood (with a tampon, and pad) and laid on the bathroom floor due to my exhaustion. While my husband’s condition worsened (fever, aches, headache), my bleeding worsened. When I contacted my OBGYN after nearly two weeks of bleeding, I was advised to continue my quarantine until I was symptom free for one week. I asked her if this could be Covid-related, I simply had no other answers. She could not confirm nor deny, but requested I come in for an ultra-sound and biopsy. As I read through your comments, I wonder if we all experienced a Covid-19 condition related to blood clotting. It hasn’t been discussed widely, nor have there been any reports. I plan on having an antibody test, and have an appointment next week with my OBGYN. I’ll circle back with this group if/when I have answers but I hope this reaches more women who are questioning their unusual (and scary!) symptoms….
    Take care all.

• May 23, 2020 at 12:41 pm

I had an ultra-sound and biopsy on May 21 and discussed my abnormal break-through cycle with my OBGYN. She did not give me any indication that what I experienced was Covid related. However, she did say this virus attaches to compromised organs/areas in our bodies. I have uterine fibroids (one in three women over 40 have them). I’ve been aware of my fibroids for quite some time and had speculated a possible connection. I see many women posting here are 40+ and fibroids may be a possibility to consider and/or follow up on with your physician.

• July 22, 2020 at 4:44 pm

Hey Holly, thank you for your post and your follow up. I suspect that I have fibroids as well. I possibly even have endometriosis not sure with out testings. Did your OB have any suggestions? I just had my first large clots during my period for the first time since being sick. I noticed my first symptom April 4 so far all periods normal for me of course painful for 1 or 2 days… but this month the clotting was unusual so I went searching! Thanks again for your post!

• July 22, 2020 at 8:40 pm

Hi Tennille,
        Ask your OB for an ultrasound to rule out fibroids (less expensive than MRI). Mine were discovered during pregnancy in 2010. My current OB suspects the recent bleeding could be that the fibroid is expelling which would require surgery (hysterectomy). I’m searching alternatives to that at the Mayo and there are options thankfully! I still strongly feel that Covid was the culprit to all these symptoms we have in common. Will continue to update as info is available. Take care.

• July 27, 2020 at 1:07 pm

Thank you Holly! An ultrasound is a great option. I didn’t get weak or lose lots of blood during this last cycle but the clots were just shocking and large. I will definitely keep watching your post here as you learn more! So thankful for this feed and the feedback ❤️

• May 12, 2020 at 11:16 pm

I am glad I found this post. I do plan to follow up with my Dr. As well. But glad to know I am not crazy about this. I got sick March 30. I thought I was well in to menopause but the week following onset of COVID, I had a 3 day period. Now a month later I am having a really heavy flow for 5 days so far. I hadn’t had a period for a year prior to this. It can go away again anytime! Hopefully someone in the medical community will notice this and add it to the symptom/side affect list.

• May 13, 2020 at 2:35 am

I found this thread after searching for a link between Covid-19 and menstrual bleeding. I am 55 and prior to all this had what I thought was my last menstrual period well over 6 months ago. I believe I had the virus at the start of lockdown. After I had been unwell for a few days, I very suddenly developed a very heavy period with clotting that then went on for days. I put it down to menopause, but then less than 10 days later, when I still felt much less than fully recovered, I started bleeding heavily again. This time it went on for over 2 weeks and the most notable element of this was a constant stream of tiny clots. I have no idea whether I had the virus, but given that I had fever, mild cough and then breathlessness (I am am asthmatic but haven’t had an attack for years), as well as some of the other unpleasant more unusual symptoms people commonly describe, I suspect I did. It will be interesting to see if this unexpected menstrual bleeding is indeed a potential coronavirus symptom.

• May 14, 2020 at 12:47 am

Very glad I found this. Here in L.A., just had the worst period of my life. I am 48. Late and then heavy for 7 days straight, similarly unusual clotting and “gushes” as described by others. Also been feeling very bloated for a week. Otherwise energy has been alright. There is no question in my mind – this is Covid related: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-01403-8. We need research on this and more people commenting.

• May 15, 2020 at 1:15 am

Thank you: it helps to read that others are having similar experiences. I am 52, was sick for just over two weeks in March: really weird diarrhea for that whole time. no appetite at all, chills and night sweats. Extreme weakness; shortness of breath. I’ve been perimenopausal; my normal cycle is heavy but regular. About half way thru my illness my period came early, and lasted for at least 9 days. I was so sick and tired I gave up counting. It was heavy and also very chaotic! I also had weird feelings of hormonal waves. It wasn’t like anything I’d experienced and very scary. I lost a ton of weight. (15 lbs in a week?) I haven’t had my period since. Almost at 2 months. I know weight loss can do that, but still. Something very dramatic happened to my body. No testing was available at the time; diarrhea wasn’t on anyone’s radar. Not sure if it was COVID; been joking that my period decided to go out with a bang. I live in Los Angeles and have been OK.

• May 15, 2020 at 11:54 pm

February 11, Indianapolis Indiana. Husband came home sick. 2 days later I get sick…fever, chills and a cough that was so painful…I literally drank medicine from the bottle. I never take medicine.

My period was 2 weeks early and I was so scared…I was passing clots for a full day, had a regular period for 1 day and it was gone. I am so regular…I got pregnant 2 times in 1 try.

Thank you!!!! I thought I was alone and crazy. I went to the doctor because I thought I was dying from the heavy flow. My doctor brushed me off and said viruses can change periods. Looking back, my virus might have been covid.

• May 16, 2020 at 5:44 pm

Like so many of you, started researching web on Covid related menstrual problems. Whole family ill with non classic symptoms mid March, diarrhoea, plus for mild breathlessness, daughter nasty ear infection and temp that wasnt responding to a/bs initially into early April..On and off with muzzy headaches again the rest of family have had them and ear complaints…However most crucially. the last 3 -4 weeks or so excruciating arthritic joint pain along with vaginal bleeding with clots. Daughter who only has periods 2/3 days long is currently on day 10 of her period..Im booked in for a hysteroscopy in 3 days as I am 56 and post menopausal and haven’t had a period for nearly 4 years..!

• May 17, 2020 at 11:42 pm

One more to add in. I am 40. I had a mild virus. The period after was irregular but not enough to really worry. But after that starting about mid-cycle I spotted lightly everyday and then bled heavily with numerous very large clots about 10 days later. It was very concerning and I didn’t know what was happening. I thought maybe a miscarriage or a burst cyst or something. The bleeding has stopped finally but I am not sure what next month will bring.

• May 23, 2020 at 1:38 am

My follow-up: I had a uterine cell sample taken to check for cancer because my mother had these symptoms with uterine cancer..
      I thankfully had no cancerous cells in the sample but I had a polyp that was in the process of disintegration. The polyp plus hypothyroidism are thought to be the problem. Other people who had the virus I caught from them do not have Covid antibodies.

• May 20, 2020 at 10:49 pm

Wow landed here like many others – searching to see if there is a connection between menstruation & covid-19. I got sick in early March, after travel. I suspected corona, but couldn’t get tested at the time. First 2 days I was “sick”, but then It was about 2-3 weeks of waves of feeling okay then exhaustion then ok. I kept chalking it up to stress of all the life changes. But early on I couldn’t taste for 2 days, I jokingly said “if this is a symptom I definitely have it” …well sure enough a week later that was on the symptom list.

BUT the strangest thing to me was my period. I’m on the pill & only get my period every 3 months. I was about 7 weeks from my scheduled time & suddenly I had a heavy period for 20 days!! It was crazy. My instinct was always that it was connected, but again I just assumed it was stress.

At any rate, I finally did the antibody test last week that confirmed I’m positive for antibodies, and I just decided to google this again. Very interesting to find your & others stories! Thanks for sharing.

• May 21, 2020 at 5:21 pm

Interesting! I just wrote an article like this after doing my own research with help of 130 Dutch women about menstruation after corona. Only 22% says their period was normal. 6% had extreme clots Most women say their symptoms dramatically increase just gefore or during periods and/or during ovulation
    I’ve only had 1 postcorona period myself and that was late and quickly over.

• May 24, 2020 at 5:07 am

I had very mild symptoms that I think were Covid related from 12 March (headache, sore throat, muscle ache, shortness of breath like walking at altitude while doing easy exercise, fever resulting in night sweats) and had a roster of different symptoms daily, never at the same time (while feeling fine with a clear head and no tiredness). It passed in a week and I wasn’t sick enough to be tested.

But my periods which are still very regular are heavier than normal and full of black clots (very unusual back to back). I’m super moody and headachy during my cycle too. I use a menstrual cup and it fills up faster but nothing like the horror stories I’m reading so it took me three cycles to notice it was a pattern.

I googled periods after covid-19 (after a more specific search didn’t find anything) and had to scroll to another page to see this blog, this is quite disturbing and interesting and something that should be studied if it’s (anecdotally) affecting so many women.

• May 24, 2020 at 12:27 pm

Wow! I am also glad I found this post. I tested positive 7 weeks back . Had finished my period a few days prior to that . About 3 weeks back (the 1st day I returned to work as fate would have it!) I had a light episode of periods but the weird thing is I am still bleeding though very lightly .
    Had started to think of uterine cancer but after all this posts here though my bleeding is not as heavy as most others, I do think it’s Covid related. What a strange disease indeed!

• June 6, 2020 at 2:46 pm

How are you now? I have had light spotting (2 weeks earlier than my period should come) for the last 2 and a half days after having the worst “flu” of my entire life for 8 days. I ended up going to the hospital about 4 days ago. I’m worried about cancer too but all lab work came back perfect and the covid swab came back negative. I truly believe it’s a false negative. Nothing makes sense. This was not just the flu and I’ve also had a rash that lasted for a few days that resemble a COVID-19 rash. I’m quarantining regardless.

• May 24, 2020 at 1:23 pm

Oh my god! So glad to have found this! I have normally very routine periods, like clockwork as one might say! Not this time, I think I may have had Covid 19 in February, and I’m frontline ambulance And have had full on exposure to covid 19 pretty much every single day. End of of April, my period starts and it’s unusually light, or so I thought, cue the absolute torrent of clots, as your described, it was like flood gates. It carried on for 4 weeks, some of the clots were up to 3/3.5inches long I have never seen anything like it. The doctor has given me Neveristhone (I can’t spell it sorry) and told me to take this for 10 days and report back in 3 cycles time… one interesting thing I have noticed, is the C19 symptom tracker app was asking questions about periods a few weeks ago, so perhaps there is research in its infancy happening 🙂 anyhoo! Stay safe all! X

• May 25, 2020 at 5:00 pm

I got my period on the second day of my Covid-19 experience. It came right on time, but it was insane–I basically shed my entire uterine lining in 24 hours. I soaked through the most massive of pads. I was too tired/sick to deal with tampons, but I really soaked through a lot–gigantic pads, pajamas, sheets, etc. It was crazy. I’ve never seen anything like it! And then, 24 hours later, basically done! What normally takes me 5-7 days was done in 1-2 days.

I had a moderate case of Covid-19 followed by a bacterial pneumonia superinfection. I had a fever for 11 days straight, coughing fits, low pulse oximeter numbers (lowest it got was 84%, but it was definitely hovering around 92-93% for a day or so). I was treated 100% at home in isolation with antibiotics and steroids and a nebulizer. I slowly got better, although I had fatigue and chest pain after.

And then I didn’t get a period for 46 days! I usually have a pretty regular 27-31 day period, so 46 was definitely odd. When it came, it made me extremely fatigued and get terrible migraines. (I normally get migraines before my period, but this was during my period.)

• May 27, 2020 at 10:23 pm

Wow! It’s so crazy reading all of this.

In January I got extremely sick with a flu. At the time, covid was not yet talked about in the media as far as Canada goes (which is where I live). My January period had just started when the next day I woke up feeling extremely ill. I was sick in bed for a good 7 days – I’ve never had a flu like that! I have no idea if it was covid of just a flu. I was thinking probably just a flu since this was back in January.
    Then, I got my PMS symptoms as per usual in February(right on time) and then I started spotting and my pms symptoms stopped, however my period never came. Just spotting.

Then on March 20th I started, which what I thought at The time was my normal March period. I was actually relieved to see blood this time…. except little did I know, this period went on for 4 weeks. Bleeding on and off with heavy clots!!!

I finally “stopped” bleeding with clots on April 25 and only had light spotting for a couple of days.
    Then 2 weeks later, I had an episode of bleeding with clots again for 2 days. Then just spotting until last Saturday May 23rd when I started heavy bleeding again with clots and I am currently on day 5 of bleeding again.

For reference, I am 31 years old and I have had regular 3 days periods with light to medium flow my entire life (28 day cycle)….and that all changed when I got that “flu” and or in March when the quarantine/social distancing started.

I will still be going to the doctor next Monday, just for piece of mind.

Was interesting to read all of you! How strange!!!

• May 29, 2020 at 6:22 pm

Hi, unconfirmed case in mid December in Europe. Doctor subsequently suspect it was covid, but antibody tests not available in South Africa yet. However, i have been on cold meds since 20 December untill mid May.. symptoms coming and going… three days fine..then it hits in various degrees and variations. Luckily not as severe as the first bout. A course of intense probiotics over a month combined with immune booster fizzies seem to have helped… with the probiotics 9 strain, seemingly the magic potion as I’ve been om the fizzies since November. However I can confirm that I also had the most severe heavy flow of my life during the actual Covid illness … blood dripping onto the floor as I walked around the bathroom. Then skipped two months then very light spotting and weird cycle and since Tuesday the floodgates are open again. Luckliy easing now. So definitely something more than coincidence even with my somewhat erratic perimenopause (last three years) cycles… even this is a first. Good luck ladies. Take care.

• May 30, 2020 at 10:53 pm

I was sick with what I think was COVID in mid- January. I am in the USA. Prior to being sick I always had regular periods that came on time and they were never heavy. When I was sick I did have to take steroids while I due to the respiratory inflammation which I know can affect your periods. But, my period in Feb. was light and mostly just clotting and lasted two weeks. Very unusual. Same thing happened in March. In April, my period was unusually heavy with lots of clotting and cramping and again this month the same thing happened. My OBGYN says they just don’t know yet how or if COVID-19 affects one’s period. I definitely feel this virus has affected my periods.

• May 30, 2020 at 11:01 pm

I also want to add that I have been experiencing break- through bleeding between periods and my periods before being sick lasted no longer than 5 days but my periods over in Feb. and March were lasting two weeks because they were slow and just clotting. In April it was super heavy with clothing and lasted 8 days and this month it also lasted 8 days. Very unusual.

• June 1, 2020 at 12:04 pm

Hi, like a lot of ladies have already said I came across this blog due to an alarmingly heavy bleed. I’m based in the UK and am 48 years old. I’m perimenopausal and hadn’t had a period for 3 months. I’ve had what I thought were just symptoms of menopause; sweating , headaches, dizziness, nausea, aches and pains. Now I’m thinking it may be a result of Covid-19. I’ve had an increasingly heavy bleed that started Friday. It can’t be a coincidence can it?

• June 1, 2020 at 4:12 pm

Thank you and I concur. I am in a high impacted area and symptomatic with covid for one month at a time when no testing was available except for those needing to be admitted to the hospital. My period came in second week of being sick (on time) and was extremely heavy and clotty and usually it is not like that. I got my period again 24 days later but this time for 12 days in a row with intense pain in left ovary and clots and heavy. Now 19 days later I am spotting again. I believe this is covid related. I am 45 and to this point have regular not like what is happening.

• June 2, 2020 at 10:08 am

Is anybody aware of an online forum (FB group etc) discussing this issue? I have other “blood-related” post-COVID issues — elevated BP, tension headache, unusually flushed cheeks & would like a place to share stories (since my PCP & ob/gyn are uninterested.)

• June 12, 2020 at 1:14 pm

There’s a FB group called survivor corps that speaks of post COVID symptoms. That’s actually how I was referred to this page.

• June 4, 2020 at 1:12 am

I went to the hospital a few nights ago after never being so sick in my entire life for 4 and a half days in a row. I couldn’t (can’t) take it anymore. I have every single symptom of covid-19 (except for loss of taste and smell) but all of my bloodwork came back normal and my test came back negative. I was in absolute shock and disbelief.
    Today out of nowhere I get my period TWO entire weeks early! I am FREAKING out. So I go onto here and find all of these other stories. Maybe something much more serious is wrong with me but wouldn’t they have caught something during all of the testing done on me in the hospital?
    I can take the high fevers, but it is the painful and excruciatingly unbearable cold chills I keep getting multiple times a day. I would not wish this pain on absolutely anyone. No one.

• June 7, 2020 at 1:49 pm

Thank you for this post. I thought I was going crazy because my periods had been pretty regular. I fell ill with COVID symptoms just as I was due to start my period on March 6th. I was sick for almost 3 weeks . My period finally came on March 25th. Lots of clots. My next period started on April 29th. Then mid May I felt ovulation pain and bled clots and had light spotting for 4 days. According to my app, my period was due June 3rd, but it’s now 4 days late. I’ve just started to feel a little cramping and tenderness that usually signals that my period will start in the next few days (so about a week later the app predicted).

There’s a group on FB called Survivor Corps and there are threads that talk about similar menstruation symptoms.

• June 12, 2020 at 7:10 am

So glad i found this post, yesterday i had the worst experience. I was so scared! I was sick for a very long time (think Corona), and my period was really weird. It came two times one month, Skipped the next month and yesterday I had a blood bath. I was at home (thank god!) when the blood just came pooring down my legs, on the floor, i ran to the bath room and had to step into the shower and the blood was everywhere, i could not stop it. Big clots of blood, and was just “gushing” out. I stayed there for abort 30 minutes, and then it stopped. I am so scared it Will come again 🙁

• June 12, 2020 at 5:03 pm

Thank you so much for the post. I’m also facing the same problem. Can’t tolerate. It’s horrible…..

• June 12, 2020 at 9:19 pm

Totally trying not to freak out, but it’s reassuring that I don’t seem to be alone when it comes to these weird post COVID happenings.

I’m my last post on June 7th, I thought my period was going to hit at any moment. It never did.

Now I’m going back and re-reading everyone’s comments and I wonder if my 4 days of clotting and light bleeding starting on May 17th might have actually been a second period instead of ovulation.

I feel like coming down with COVID symptoms just as I was due for my period (which had been pretty regular in the previous months) just altered everything that’s come after.

I still try to tell myself that the month isn’t even half over yet and I still have time to get my “June” period. But at the same time, I’m super anxious that it may be very heavy or filled with clots. Anyone have suggestions on how to deal with that? Is bleeding that much dangerous or does it just help to keep yourself hydrated and well rested?

• June 16, 2020 at 1:19 pm

I wonder if COVID affects your hormones, since hormones control your cycle and trigger menstruation. Since my period was due to start literally the day I got sick with COVID symptoms, my period never came. It wasn’t until 3 weeks later, when my symptoms were over that it was like a switch was flipped and suddenly my period started. And then April’s period came at the very end of the month and went into May. And then two weeks later, when I thought I was breakthrough bleeding during ovulation, I felt like my hormones were a bit out a whack. And the ovulation spotting that has happened in the past, although not in the last few years, was more of a light period with clotting than light spotting.

Now I thought my period was coming sometime in the last week, because I’ve been majorly PMSing (and that normally doesn’t happen) so I wonder if it’s the COVID that is making me feel this way.

• June 18, 2020 at 12:54 pm

I’m so glad that I found this thread! My husband travels to the west coast for business and came home in late December with a nasty virus. 7-10 days later after thinking it was a miracle that I didn’t catch it I started showing symptoms. We coughed from the last two weeks in December through mid February. I remember thinking that I was never going to stop coughing.
    Anyhow, I’ve had normal periods my whole life but in January I had 24 hours of horrible cramps and clotting. I use a diva cup and it was overflowing every hour when I usually change it once every 10-12 hours and it’s usually only 1/2 full.
    February it happened again but lasted 2-3 days. Horrible cramps that 800mg of Advil every 8 hours wasn’t even touching, I couldn’t leave the house because of how heavy the flow was and how huge my clots were.
    I made an apt to see my Gyno and he did a full exam and internal ultrasound. Guess what it showed? Absolutely NOTHING. There was no reason for me to have had the trouble that I did.
    Come March and I had only one day during my cycle where there were a few clots but noting major and the last two months have me back to normal.

I’m so glad to know that I’m not alone with this and that it was in fact, most likely COVID that we had back in December. Wow. Thanks for sharing!

• June 19, 2020 at 2:20 am

I came here too during what is the worst period of my life. I’ve had intense gushing blood for 6 days now and yesterday was rife with enormous black clots. I have no covid symptoms that I’m aware of…. Assuming the feelings of weakness/chills were from all the blood loss, but will definitely get tested now. Thank you.

• June 19, 2020 at 5:42 am

Hi. UK here. I know we’re being told Covid only been around since beginning of the year, but I’m certain I had Covid beginning of December 2019. Second week in and I started bleeding heavily with lots of clots. I was at the middle of my cycle. It never happened before and hasn’t happened since. I couldn’t believe it because I was bedridden and almost passed out on standing and now had that to contend with too! Glad I’m reading other anomaly stories

• June 19, 2020 at 8:41 am

Recommendation for heavy periods…try a menstrual cup! It will catch a lot more than a pad or tampon. This has saved me SO much stress! You may need a large cup if you have big clots or a lot of bleeding. Another benefit of this method is that you can measure the amount of blood you’re losing! This is helpful when communicating with your doctor because it’s more accurate than “how many pads/tampons did you fill up?” Another benefit is that it doesn’t get stinky, can be left in longer without the risk of toxic shock, and is environmentally friendly! The only downsides I have experienced are insertion (takes a bit of getting to know your body) and cleaning (difficult in a public restroom). The menstrual cup changed my life and I’ll never go back to pads or tampons! I can finally sleep through the night in peace!

• June 20, 2020 at 7:19 am

Hi, I too am glad to have found this site. I was tested positive for Covid early April, recovered well, even with pneumonia & resumed work as normal by week 4, as a nurse I had to have 2 negative swabs before resuming work. I’m 42yrs old, my first period post Covid was on time ( I too have never had a problem with Menstral cycle & usually light for 3 days ) but very heavy with clots & I was fatigued thread fully for 2 days, but then recovered well once period ended after 5 days. Roll on 8 weeks, with no period since but horrendous tummy cramps, lower back pain, pelvic pain, achy joints & pain going down thigh muscles in last 3 days, & I’ve never prayed as hard for my period to come. I had suspected the virus was the cause of delayed menstrual flow, but Its saturday now & same symptoms as above, I’ll visit my GP on Monday & request to go on the pill as I can’t tolerate this anymore, he will think I’ve gone nuts if I mention it’s because of virus. Has anyone gone or been on the pill, I have never been on it, but I’m eager to get menstrual flow going as I know it’ll be heavy & plan to take a few days off work. I’ve been taking a lot of vits & minerals, but no Vit C, which I’ve read encourages menstrual flow ( I had been on this in April & probably helped with my initial period & so will start on it today also.
    Thank you for starting this blog, it has put my mind at ease and saved me from purchasing more pregnancy kits. God bless all x

• June 20, 2020 at 2:22 pm

I’m 40 and I missed my period when I came down with COVID symptoms. I was due to start my period and at first I assumed the headaches and body aches I was feeling were period related. Until the cough came and then the loss of smell and taste. Period never came until about 3 weeks later when I was feeling better. It was a normal period flow-wise but with a lot of clots. Ever since my cycle is out of whack. I also get the cramps and pains but no blood. I’ve never had issues like this before. It has to COVID related.

• June 22, 2020 at 4:39 pm

I’ve been searching for this! The week after our shutdown started (mid-March), I could hardly get out of bed. I had a *slight* fever and was lethargic and had on-and-off night chills, though it was really hard to tell if it was just shock / anxiety from the closure (I’m a business owner and it has been a very difficult three months. The week we closed our business was very traumatic and scary.) I did not have a cough or shortness of breath. I simply felt exhausted (again, anxiety can mirror a lot of those symptoms. I’m well aware of that.) I couldn’t tell if it was a physical thing or if I was so devastated about our company that I was experiencing physical symptoms of shock. I called my doc and at the time they weren’t testing anyone that hadn’t had direct exposure so I couldn’t get a test. I was just told to isolate and that it was probably stress. (Note: I’m pretty good in terms of self-care for stress – I run, meditate, do yoga, etc. I’ve experienced high-stress before and it has never affected my cycle.)

I’m a VERY regular – I have low-flow, 27-28 day cycles with NO pain. I’m 38. My cycle started that same week and I was in pain for DAYS. (I literally never experience period pain so at first, I thought it was a bladder infection.) My breasts were sore for a full cycle (much the way they are in the few days before a period or when newly breastfeeding. But it lasted nearly 30 days.) My doc actually had me go to Urgent Care to make sure my appendix was OK after two weeks of pain. (My pain was always on the right side near my ovary, and would sometimes travel up into my ribs/back.) I’ve never spotted before and started spotting for days on end. Then I had REALLY heavy periods that lasted for 7 days. (I’m usually a four dayer with LIGHT periods.) This started three months of follow-up telehealth appointments and dead ends. I’ve had two ultrasounds done to figure out what is causing the pain. A polyp was found, but two gynos have told me they do not think it’s large enough to cause pain or cycle irregularities. They are also NOT worried about cancer. They also do not think I’m going into menopause or perimenopause.

My period is wildly erratic now – I got it nine days early for my last cycle. I KNOW my cycle – if it’s three days early that’s rare. The doc’s best guess is that the extreme stress has caused cycle irregularities and my doc confirms that lots of women are having pain that they wouldn’t normally have and irregular cycles. Something about that week that I had chills makes me feel like it’s related. I can’t prove it and I hope this is researched more. Women are often told that we’re imagining things or overreacting, but we all know our bodies and something very acutely changed in my body in March, the same week I had a fever and lethargy. Could it be a coincidence? Maybe. Could it be stress? I’m sure it doesn’t help. One doctor told me, “Plenty of women spot, have irregular periods or experience cycle pain.” Yeah, I get that, but I don’t. Regardless, it’s not normal to be in pain for 20 days straight. Something is DIFFERENT.

I went from having a VERY normal cycle (and I’ve dealt with some legit stress in the last 25 years) to having near-constant pain from mid- March to mid-May and HEAVY periods. (This cycle is actually the “best” in terms of pain and I hope I’m on the other side of things. I had some serious pain for about 12 hours during ovulation though. It seems that every cycle gets “better” but I’m nowhere near back to feeling “good.”) Sending everyone good thoughts. Even if this is just all stress-related, it’s not fun to not know.

One thing I’d recommend is to keep a cycle journal. It has really helped me figure out how things are tracking and improving. (I’ve noticed my symptoms get worse during ovulation.) Every day I jot down my pain levels and now I have 3.5 months of data to give to docs when I speak to them. It also has been comforting to see that my pain levels are dropping and days in pain are backing off. My WORST cycle was that one in March directly following my weird symptoms and each has gotten better (in terms of pain and flow.) It’s as if I’m gradually getting back to normal. (Thankfully.) Never stop advocating for yourself and if something feels wrong, keep pushing for answers. Even if we are just all experiencing stress symptoms, it still affects our lives and health. And that alone is worthy of medical study.

• June 28, 2020 at 2:53 am

I’m 37 and was just deemed “non-infectious” last week. My case of COVID-19 was fairly mild, like an average bout of bronchitis with a side of executive dysfunction. I never even spiked a fever.

For me, a normal period is similar to what a lot of women described in these comments; 9-10 days long, heavy flow for up to 7 of those days. And by “heavy” I mean I usually soak through a super-plus tampon and an overnight pad in about 3-4 hours for at least the first four days.

My period started three days ago,. The first 24 hours were my usual routine. Heavy bleeding, clots, cramps, a lot of crying at stupid stuff. The next twenty-four hours were oddly light. Today there was almost nothing. The last time I had a period that only lasted 3 days, I was 12. I’m not sure why my experience seems to have been the exact opposite of most of you, but I don’t think I can attribute it to stress – coming down with COVID-19 isn’t even *close* to the most stressful thing that’s happened to me in the past few years, but none of those other incidents caused this kind of change in my cycle.

• July 7, 2020 at 10:41 am

So glad I found some people talking about this — I had a period every 7-17 days between April 1st and June 15 (it amounted to about 6 periods in 10 weeks), all of which lasted 7 days, were very heavy right until the last day (normally they “taper off” before stopping), and we’re very cloth with clots quarter-sized and smaller. No cramps, but the BREAST PAIN was unbearable!
    I am assumed to have COVID back in February —

Have had an ultrasound and blood tests to figure out why I’m menstruating so much, so often… all tests have been clear & normal. The only thing is I was prescribed iron supplements for anemia (no surprise, after all that bleeding). I’m 40.
    It has been a very stressful and hormonal time, worrying about why this is happening to me.

If you’re bleeding a lot, or too often , PLEASE get yourself blood tested for iron deficiency — it can make you feel much much worse and cause *more* irregular bleeding (& shortness of breath, dizziness, fatigue, and mental fog).

• July 13, 2020 at 11:44 am

Ladies I would love to hear your thoughts on this… I have a theory that our bodies are producing estrogen as part of the immune response to COVID-19. It is known that estrogen is produced to fight other viruses such as influenza. This increased estrogen could be causing not only hormonal imbalance and disorder, but also extra buildup in the uterus, which is taking longer to come out, hence the heavy periods or long periods or one period seeming to connect to the next. Effects of increased estrogen also includes blood clotting, a well-documented result of COVID-19.

I am hoping this is a good thing, a sign that our bodies are fighting the infection. I have been experiencing heavy irregular menstruation for over 3 months at this point. Other symptoms have been heart palpitations and a heavy pressure in my body that I can’t quite describe. I have not had a fever, cough or any of the other “common” symptoms of COVID-19.

• August 2, 2020 at 7:42 pm

A follow-up: I had been bleeding heavily since March 26, but July 28 it finally stopped. I have had five days with no bleeding. 😯

• August 11, 2020 at 9:27 am

Another update: Heavy bleeding started again August 7 and has not stopped.

• July 22, 2020 at 4:48 pm

I was sick in early April. Normal periods well normal for me. I usual hurt pretty bad because of possible fibroids or endometriosis? But this month very large blood clots that are abnormal! I rarely have clots but this time they were so big and there were so many! Thankful for this thread and hopeful we get back to normal🙏🏼

• July 25, 2020 at 6:39 am

My situation is a little different, I think, but I’m searching for answers and found this blog so I’ll share. I had my normal cycle towards the first of the month. Then, a little over a week ago I started to bleed again, but it was just clots. Lots of them daily and it never seemed like it would end. I think the clots are done now but I still feel cramps and my breast are so soar. I don’t technically know if I have covid. Just that I may have been exposed by a coworker. She tested negative and came back to work only for her husband to be positive. They said she may have had a faulty test. Thanks for giving me some insight as to what may be going on.

• July 27, 2020 at 12:41 pm

I just shared that the clots had stopped for me and I woke up bleeding again today, as heavy as ever.
      I’m in pain and I don’t understand. It’s been about a month of this now.

• July 27, 2020 at 12:48 am

I tested positive for covid 19 about a week ago I’ve had mild cold symptoms, diarrhea, fatigue, lost taste and smell . This morning I got my period and it has been extremely heavy and I’m passing blood clots like crazy. I’m so happy I found this blog And I’m not the only one going through this . I just hope and pray it gets better soon .

• July 31, 2020 at 5:15 am

I got my positive test result Monday just gone, but the Thursday before I woke having bled through everything overnight. I am on a continuous pill and haven’t had a period in 6 months or more. It’s now been over a week, still bleeding heavily and passing huge clots. I am so glad I found your blog, I was honestly starting to get really freaked out. I just hope it stops soon, I mean how long can I bleed heavy like this for??

• July 31, 2020 at 12:25 pm

A study was recently published which linked high estrogen (the pill) to Covid-related blood clots. Some women have become anaemic and needed blood transfusions from excessive Covid menstrual bleeding. Hope yours stops soon!

Ivy

• August 4, 2020 at 10:18 pm

**Update,** entering third week of very heavy bleeding and clotting. I am still in isolation so have not been able to see my doctor. Hoping this stops soon, as I have lost all confidence to go back to work next week.

• August 3, 2020 at 8:06 am

Update: I’m currently going through my 4th period since coming down with COVID symptoms in early March. March-April periods were messed up (details in earlier comments). I thought June was going to coming and go with no period at all. But I finally started spotting on the 26th. Like the previous periods there were clots, but it wasn’t as heavy as they were and the clots were smaller. I kept my fingers crossed that maybe (now that I almost feel fully recovered from COVID) that my cycle would start becoming normal again. July’s period started on the 27th with spotting for 3 days before it just went heavy. Definitely heavier than normal (nothing alarming) and gross clots. And it’s longer that a regular period. So yay for actually coming relatively on time but boo for the clots and heavy flow. And I also had a lot of cramps the week before.

• August 3, 2020 at 11:10 pm

I tested positive for covid antibodies recently, and had a mild case of covid in February. Five months later, I’ve experienced a couple of months of strange cycles, lighter than normal. One time I had two days of cramping with no flow at all! That has never happened to me before. One period was 13 days long, which is twice as long as normal, but just spotting for the last 6 days. I have bern hypothyroid for years but after covid, my hypothyroid daughter and I both flipped to hyperthyroid. I really think that covid affects our hormones. This is way more than stress. Even through stressful times my period is like clockwork, so I know this is not caused by stress. I hope researchers look into this soon because it is probably affecting a lot of women worldwide if this thread is any indication.

• August 4, 2020 at 8:48 am

My whole family was sick in march. We all had Covid 19 symtomps but never be tested.
    I was sick for about 6 weeks.
    After that I missed 2 periods. I have very regular cycle and light flow for all my life.
    At the end of may I started spotting for 6 days. Then the spotting stopped for a few days. On June the 3 rd it started again. After two days I started to bleed and it did not stop for 37 days. Then 5 day break and it started again and lasted again for 10 days. Heavy bleeding with massive clots.
    All together, I bled for 52 days with few days break in between.
    I was worried sick and went to the gynecologist, but the ultrasound was ok.
    So it had to be the virus.
    I really hope that my august period would be normal again, because I have been exhausted because of that constant bleeding.

• August 11, 2020 at 12:39 pm

Update to my previous comment(s) a few weeks ago:
    I’m now on my 2nd regular 28-day cycle (clot-free!) period, since my issues started at the beginning of April.
    Posting this for those who are wondering WHEN WILL IT END…. obviously it could be different for others, but it seems like my abnormally frequent menstruation is resolving itself after approximately 3.5 months of insanity.
    Good luck to all! Please don’t forget to see a doctor, and especially get tested for anaemia!

• August 11, 2020 at 2:45 pm

I’m so glad for you!

I have had a similar experience. Finally in August I had a mostly regular period. Still heavy but only 6 days and with not too much clotting.

*phew*

• August 17, 2020 at 12:36 am

Never in my life have I felt so much pain from a period. I haven’t been able to move all day and medicine barely helps. This has never happened to me before. I am just getting over the virus, thank you everyone who has shared their experiences!!

• August 21, 2020 at 7:58 pm

Wow…..I am so grateful I found these comments. I also experienced uncharacteristically heavy bleeding with serious clotting back in March – this was traumatic to say the least. It took a number of phone calls to my drs surgery to arrange a uterus scan amidst the start of lockdown. Scan and other tests came back clear…..much to everyone’s surprise as fibroids were suspected. I was put on Northisterone. At least four more periods were very unusual and like some comments here I was scared to leave the house incase of flooding. Thank goodness I was working from home mostly. Has anyone experienced tension/pressure below the ribcage area during these heavy periods?