If you’re going to dream you might as well be dreaming big!
Dreaming Big Publications is a small independent publisher which has a focus on publishing books on mental illness. They certainly don’t limit themselves to this type but it is their preference. The owner of Dreaming Big, Kristi Morgan, has a bachelor’s degree in psychology and a master’s degree in social work. She is also a very nice person and good to work with!
Here is a link to their site. http://www.dreamingbigpublications.com
Advantages of a small publisher-
- Far easy to get accepted. A traditional editor requires an agent and an agent desires a manuscript edited almost to perfection.
- Personal attention. I can text my publisher any time I want and will get a prompt response and work things out to my satisfaction.
- Relaxed atmosphere. Business is about making money. Small publishers want to make money but it isn’t priority number one.
- Greater control over contest. I’ve heard stories where traditional publishers highly edit content.
Advantages of Dreaming Big-
- Dreaming Big gets a lot of reviews for their books. Some small publishing companies publish a lot of books hoping to make a little of a lot. Dreaming Big publishes less and invests time and effort to make every book successful.
- Dreaming Big has a large staff that can help you in many ways. For example for my book “Poet To The Poor” they created a video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiVmcJ_tBjg&t=35s
- Dreaming Big has a family feel where the authors support one another.
- Dreaming Big has an active website which attracts traffic, including an active blog.
So if you have a finished manuscript that is polished as best you can please send it to them, especially if it is in the field of mental health. You really have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Make sure that you follow all their instructions.
If your ambition is to make lots of money Dreaming Big is not the route for you. If you are an unpublished author and you expect to publish a book to make a lot of money, I have to say that’s an unrealistic goal. The best way to write a book and get it published to make money is to go through the traditional route. That is to write it and send it to an agent. In fact you cannot even directly approach a major publishing house without the aid of an agent. There is always the miraculous chance that you will be extraordinaryily successful and make enough money to retire, and then again they sell lottery tickets as well. If you are not published by a major publisher your book won’t get into book stores, which makes selling them all the more harder.
Dreaming Big is a good starting point. I hope one day to be a very successful author. I like to think with every poem published, with each book released, with each story I put out there, that I am building up a resume.
Check out Dreaming Big. Look for the call for stories and feel free to submit a poem or story for their blog. And please tell them John Kaniecki sent you their way.