9 thoughts on “Mental Health Court: The Drawbacks

• August 16, 2010 at 2:23 pm

Hi,
    I am about to begin the research for my graduate thesis, A case study on Mental Health Court in the hopes to develop policy around the formation of more Mental Health Courts around the country. I am interested to see if you have any resources of which you could direct me?
    Thanks
    Christina Anderson
    [email protected]

• March 18, 2017 at 2:22 pm

I have been accused by my abusive ex whom is also the father of my son that I hit him with a car. since the accusations, he was able to get primary custody for our son which he never showed any interest in until his new girlfriend came into the picture. he had me arrested and robbed my house the next day as I was in jail. so I did have many justifiable emotional issues.I was given a psych evaul and ptsd depression etc. its been a year now and I have been in councilling and medication which I have been slowly being taken off of. now I am on 5th pretrial a year later and I believe I’ve been accepted in bhc, and I’m expected to comply with the requirements of the bhc,which is fine, but I’ve been doing the same expectations they have on my own. its 18 month program and I’ve been through anger management, therapy, medication and I’m expected to do it all over. how is this even reasonable?

• June 27, 2018 at 4:11 pm

A good friend of mine has been in the system for two years following a criminal mischief charge.
    The facility has refused to treat his pre existing medical conditions. He has bad hypothyroidism, the physatric symptoms were mistaken for schizophrenia. He has received toxic doses of anti physotics, which have destroyed his immune system and left him with Parkinson like syptoms.
    If they continue to ignore his hypothyroidism, he will experience a full blown organic physocis,
    they will respond by sediating him which will percipate a coma which will lead to his death.

• September 6, 2018 at 5:21 pm

We contacted a mental health lawyer. He was fully briefed. He said that in 20 years of practicing law he never seen anyone screwed over as bad as Alex. He went on to state that the facility was not a treatment facility, but a ware housing facility. If the mental health courts do not provide treatment, they are a complete sham. You give up all your rights when you enter these programs. The right to bail, legeal counsel, speed trial, and harsh or unusual punishment.
    They don’t even treat preexisting conditions, or bias out physicial conditions that could be causing a problem. Huge doses of antiphysotics are the norm, which actually cause physcosis.
    Your nothing more then a brickett, and once they stick you in there you can’t get out.

• September 13, 2018 at 5:52 pm

If you fail the competency exam, you will not go to court. If you fail the exam three times they will ship you back to prison where you will stay another 2.5 years until a billet at a mental institution opens up. Once your declared incompetent, you have no constitutional rights. If the county has a contract that guarantees 95% occupancy at a private prison, there is a strong financial insentive to keep the rightless individual in the prison system. All they have to do is have you fail the exam. The criteria for competency is left up the the phychrist. You can be failed for excessive yawning, monotone voice, or not answering your questions fast enough. These symptoms can produced through overmedication, untreated hypothyroidism, or chronic malnutrition. The incomptency stamp raises legeal complexity of even a misdermer crime to the level of a first degree murger case, so you are beyond the help of a private lawyer. I would like to see how many people with misdermener crimes are kept incarcerated for life under the Mental Health Court system. This system is monsterous!

• September 18, 2018 at 11:14 pm

GEO corporation is now in the business of “treating” mentally ill prisioners. They have mega facilities throughout the country. They gotten in the business because, theoretically, you could incarcerate an inmate for life if you declare him/her incompetent and he/she continues to fail the competency exam. Here’s their formula for success. First they arrest someone for basically nothing, declare him/her incompetent, drug them with first generation antiphysotics to make them appear physotic. Sedated bodies enable a tighter packing factor, thus increasing profitability. The victim is held until he/she commits sucide or dies from abuse. Since they pick on poor people, the the “good people of Americia” approve because the process removes the “Scum” from society.

• January 24, 2019 at 4:59 pm

Alex’s court date was 3/20/18. In mid December they FINALLY determined that he was ineliagable for section 8 housing. That’s the only reason he signed up for this cluster fuck of a program. He was also lead too believe that the would be accumulating disability while he was in the faculity. That was an out and out lie. He’s under something called an indefinite commitment, the mental health lawyer tells us it is illegeal in Pa.. His hypothyroidism is still not being treated, they claim the TSH test is adequate even though he has secondary hypothyroidism.
    To top it all off, for weeks they promised to show him listings of apartments, which they have failed to do. Right now I am convinced that Bob has secretely removed him from the release list. This is a slow way of killing him with a cover of plausible deniability.

• March 31, 2019 at 10:03 pm

Dr. McAleer-
    Where can I find part 1 and 2 you wrote on Mental health courts? I would greatly appreciate. Yes there are pros and cons to Mental health courts. I agree the funding and services there is a shortage.

• May 15, 2019 at 5:46 am

I’m in week 20 or so of Mental Health Court in Michigan. The remote county puts me at a great disadvantage for services so we have to travel 20 miles or so to even get to the courthouse. I’ve honestly never been so anxious and paranoid as I’ve been since being enrolled in this system! I’m stunned by the mental abuse and emotional trauma that one must suffer in savings to our dear state due to the lack of a mental health care system! There’s a shortage of psychiatrists here, resulting in an excess of mental offenders in the criminal justice system. I myself included. Then to be victimized by the very people who are supervising you! They demand that you somehow be in control of bodily functions even when you have a medical condition making that impossible. The case manager allows the intern to exaggerate the facts to enflame the judge against me and has it in for her boss. It’s the perfect storm for abuse in the bathroom stall of the courthouse. Who are they going to believe? The program is being run by narcissistic criminal justice system professionals and NOT medical or mental health care doctors or anyone you would find helpful on your team. I’m now terrified to go before the judge as I can’t imagine what I might be accused of next or what the next hearing will result in my self esteem becoming little more than that of a chicken. Michigan could be spending the money on fixing the roads and have a better results!