6 thoughts on “How To Say No To Family Members

• October 7, 2009 at 12:44 pm

There are times when you need to say no and times that you have to put family first. Your article should be a little more specific, People do go over board in either direction.

• October 8, 2009 at 8:15 am

Thank you, Erika! How did you know? I like “canned” phrases. I wasted an awful lot of time when young trying to follow the directive to “be spontaneous and just be yourself”.

• October 8, 2009 at 2:18 pm

Ok I admit I’m not good at this and would appreciate input. I have been one of those individuals who have difficulty ever saying no to family. In my defense it does not go over well and I may hear about it for years to come. When my family come from out of town they do not ask to stay at my apartment, they just tell me they are and when they are coming. It is a small apartment. They have a tendency to take over and it makes me nervous and edgy. How do I begin to set healthy boundaries without alienating my family? I really need to learn to set boundaries but am aware of some of the consequences, it could get ugly.

• October 16, 2009 at 2:06 am

Haha. I love this. I actualy became really unenjoyable around my family because they are very manipulative and love to know me only when they want something from me. they say I have an unatractive personality now lol. Thanks’ for posting.

• January 28, 2011 at 1:09 pm

my grandfather had a stroke, he is not able to move much nor speak at all, doctor say he cant make decide on his own, i take care of him, lived under my roof,etc. none of his 3 sons ever call to ask for him to see how he is doing. now that he is in a hospital bed one of his sons call me and asked me to give him my grandfathers minivan because his car broke down and gramdpa wont be able to drive any more, this son has always taken from him but never worried if he needed something, i have a power of attorney and im also the next of kin, how do i tell him that he cant have the van or anything he wants

• February 23, 2012 at 10:26 am

I think you should contact the son, and let him know that you don’t think he deserves the van since he couldn’t put forth any effort to see him that he is selfish and greedy and if you gave him that van it would reinforce his opinion of treating people badly and still getting what he wants! OR Just say at this time while taking care of him you can’t be bothered with trivial things and need to focus all your attention to him like he deserves! short and sweet with a subtle be a better person all in one!