20 More Silly Prompts to Spark Self-Discovery
Last week I shared 20 seemingly silly ways we can get to know ourselves better. Because play can open up parts of ourselves that we didn’t even know existed, parts that have been dormant for years. Below are 20 more prompts to explore and experiment with.
- Draw yourself as a flower.
- Write about what you’d be doing in the year 3030.
- Draw the lyrics of one of your favorite songs.
- Finish this sentence, “If I were a dessert, I’d be ________ because ________.”
- Snap a series of photos of yourself making funny faces.
- Blow bubbles for at least 15 minutes—then jot down how it felt.
- Go to the park, and swing on the swings. As you’re swinging, think about one thing you really need—and how you’ll meet that need.
- Draw yourself as a planet.
- Write a poem that rhymes about your favorite things.
- Take a walk outside, and pick a natural object that reminds you of yourself.
- Finish this sentence, “If I were a piece of clothing, I’d be ________ because ________.”
- Do something you haven’t done since you were a child.
- Draw a genie, and jot down three wishes he’s going to grant you.
- Write a children’s story about a magical journey with you as the protagonist.
- Think about five to 10 traits that really make you you. Sketch these traits as different people. Start a conversation with one of these individuals—what do they want you to know?
- Make something by hand that you need.
- Finish this sentence, “If I were a Disney villain, I’d be ________ because ________.”
- Make a collage of images that make you laugh or smile, or images that pique your curiosity or draw you in somehow.
- Imagine you’re an ant. What does the world look like from your perspective? Does this change how you live your life?
- Ask a child to suggest a prompt.
Give yourself the opportunity and space to experiment with the prompts that resonate with you, even if you only have 5 minutes. Because any time we pause, and play and look within, is time well spent.
Photo by Marjorie Bertrand on Unsplash.
Tartakovsky, M. (2018). 20 More Silly Prompts to Spark Self-Discovery. Psych Central. Retrieved on April 27, 2018, from https://blogs.psychcentral.com/everyday-creativity/2018/04/20-more-silly-prompts-to-spark-self-discovery/