15 Prompts to Enhance Your Creativity and Your Life
Each of us is infinitely creative. But you might not realize that you are. Because on some days, maybe on most days, you simply don’t connect to your creativity. There are too many things to do, and you’re doing your best not to get behind. You’re focused on serious things, and there’s very little room for play.
This is totally understandable.
However, accessing our deep well of creativity doesn’t have to be complicated or time-consuming. And it can become a refreshing, rejuvenating, inspiring part of our day to day.
Author and artist Marlo Johnson features 88 fantastic prompts (along with other ideas) in her new book Creative Alchemy: Meditations, Rituals and Experiments to Free Your Inner Magic. Below you’ll find a wide variety of prompts from her excellent, thoughtful book—prompts that can easily become part of your everyday routine.
- “Envision the life of your wildest dreams,” Johnson writes. Then make a small or massive change to your life that matches your dream life.
- Ask someone to jot down five random words. Then create something based on these words.
- Use several objects that you love to inspire your next creation—and share that creation with someone.
- “Be as luxuriously lazy as possible” for any amount of time—savor it completely without feeling guilty.
- What is something you love about yourself? Create art based on your answer.
- Create something based on this idea: the entire universe is inside out, and all the cosmos are within you.
- Remove one negative thing from your life.
- Think about something you regret. Create a project based on that experience. Try to explore your regret in a way that brings you peace.
- Do something that makes the world more beautiful.
- “Create a self-portrait that doesn’t depict your physical self.”
- “Create something that only you could create—it doesn’t have to be good, just unique!”
- Create an abstract drawing.
- “Destroy something you have created, then use the remains in a new piece of art.”
- Read any page from any book. Use it to inspire an exciting art project.
- When you go through any doorway today, imagine you’re entering a new and improved alternate reality that you know nothing about.
We tend to see creativity as something silly, shallow, pointless or frivolous. We tend to see it as something we’ll do when we have the time—and not surprisingly, we never seem to have the time.
But accessing our creativity is vital. Accessing our creativity is accessing our wisdom. It is accessing different parts of ourselves, maybe even the core of who we are. As Johnson’s title says, it’s accessing our inner magic. And it’s our inner magic that’s vital for building a meaningful, fulfilling and joyful life. So consider trying one of the above prompts. Consider beginning today.
Photo by Danielle MacInnes on Unsplash.
Tartakovsky, M. (2018). 15 Prompts to Enhance Your Creativity and Your Life. Psych Central. Retrieved on April 25, 2018, from https://blogs.psychcentral.com/everyday-creativity/2018/04/15-prompts-to-enhance-your-creativity-and-your-life/