What Do You Want Your 2018 to Look Like?
Whether you’re setting resolutions for 2018 or not, thinking through how you’d like your year to look is important. Life moves so quickly that before you know it, your days are crammed with activities and tasks you don’t even want to perform or participate in—crowding out the things you do. Before you know it you’re officially busy, and there’s very little (or no) room for what makes you feel happy or excited or fulfilled or relaxed.
We build meaningful, satisfying lives by being intentional and thoughtful and proactive.
So this week and weekend, carve out some quiet time to reflect on how you’d like to approach and navigate this new year. If you have others in your household, after you’re done identifying what’s important to you, carve out time to talk to them. Talk to your spouse. Talk to your kids. See what’s important to them. Then create a shared vision for 2018.
I hope the below questions provide you with a jump-start:
- What are one or two or three words to describe what you want your year to be? Maybe you want your year to be slow or inspired or wonderful or magical or calm or simpler (than last year).
- What would a one-sentence mission statement look like for your year?
- What beliefs, behaviors, expectations (for yourself, for others), items, relationships can you let go of?
- How do you want to play? And what does “play” mean to you in the first place?
- What are you craving or yearning for?
- What do you want to pay attention to—and what do you not want to pay attention to?
- How can you take kinder care of yourself?
- What are you tired of? Sometimes, exploring what’s draining us is how we spur change.
- What do you want to experience? How do you want to feel? What types of settings do you want to be in? These powerful questions come from an episode of Todd Henry’s insightful podcast “The Accidental Creative.”
- What do you want to learn? What subjects do you want to explore? What are you curious about? These great questions also come from Henry.
- What do you want to create?
- What or who do you want to reconnect to?
- Right now what is contributing to how you want to treat yourself and your loved ones? What isn’t contributing to how you want to treat yourself and others? What isn’t serving you? Maybe it’s drinking or shopping or working too many hours, which you’re using to dull a deep ache.
- When you look back on 2018, what do you want to say about how you lived the entire year?
“You’re going to be a different person this time next year, whether you’re intentional about it or not,” Henry said in the same episode. “Make sure that the person you’re becoming is a person that you intended to become.” And I’d add: Make sure that the life you’re living is the life that you intended to live. A life you want to live. A life that brings you what you need and want and believe is beautiful and vital.
Tartakovsky, M. (2018). What Do You Want Your 2018 to Look Like?. Psych Central. Retrieved on April 25, 2018, from https://blogs.psychcentral.com/everyday-creativity/2018/01/what-do-you-want-your-2018-to-look-like/