18 Creative Resolutions to Explore in 2018
This New Year consider setting resolutions that are playful—instead of punitive or restrictive or somber or based on “shoulds,” as in I should weigh less, I should exercise more, I should be someone else... Resolutions that revolve around magic making and magic finding. Here are 18 ideas to entertain:
- Start an artist club with a loved one. Each month focus on and learn about a different artist (take turns picking the person). Maybe you read their biography, autobiography or memoir. Maybe you study their work. Maybe you even try out their techniques. Then discuss your thoughts and impressions together—and maybe create together, too.
- Each month learn about a different poetic technique—and try it out yourself.
- Take an in-person or online photography, painting, sculpting, art journaling, collage, cooking, baking or writing course.
- Write your memoir.
- Start a 100-day project.
- Doodle your self-portrait every morning or evening or once a week.
- Start keeping a notebook, recording everything from people’s conversations to quotes that crack you up to poetry that captivates you to your daily thoughts and feelings to what inspires you.
- Try a new recipe every week or month.
- Work your way through an old-school, very old-school cookbook—like from the 19th century.
- Read the bestselling children’s books of 2017.
- Immerse yourself in subjects you normally wouldn’t gravitate towards but that invite your curiosity.
- Snap a photo every single day of something that inspires, uplifts or surprises you.
- Capture every day’s sunrise or sunset, either by taking a photo of it, drawing it or writing about it.
- Go on regular artist dates. Visit an art gallery. Go to an art supply store and marvel at the possibility of everything you can create. Stop by a toy store to better understand play. Take walks and note everything you see, hear and smell.
- Participate in Modern Mrs. Darcy’s reading challenge for 2018.
- Paint your dreams or thoughts or feelings.
- Every week write about a moment you remember vividly. Maybe it’s from that week or the past month or from 20 years ago.
- Start making something you thought you were too old to make, or not talented enough to try. Relinquish these beliefs, and create, anyway. As I wrote in this piece, “Time moves on—faster and faster it seems the older we get. So why not enjoy ourselves, why not explore and experiment, why not engage our imagination in the process?” Really, why not?
I hope this list brings you some inspiration, and I hope you have a wonderful New Year!
Photo by Soragrit Wongsa on Unsplash.
Tartakovsky, M. (2017). 18 Creative Resolutions to Explore in 2018. Psych Central. Retrieved on January 23, 2018, from https://blogs.psychcentral.com/everyday-creativity/2017/12/18-creative-resolutions-to-explore-in-2018/