Equine Therapy: A Few Good Movies
For most people, equine therapy is pretty fascinating to watch. However, without a visual account of just what happens between a horse and a human, the general public is at a loss when it comes to understanding just how our beloved equine friends can really help people better understand themselves.
Sometimes words just don’t describe the magic between people and horses. Judging by the success of movies such as “Seabiscuit,” people are truly amazed by horses, and all the while, profoundly affected by this admiration. So, in honoring the way in which an observable accounting of equine therapy can reveal more fully what it is, I have compiled a list of great equine-therapy related movies.
- “Seabiscuit” Portraying the life of the famous racehorse, Seabiscuit, this movie also demonstrates the way in which the courageous character of a horse can uplift a down and out nation.
- “Secretariat” Following the Chenery family and Triple Crown winner, Secretariat, this movie depicts a horse’s ability to draw out the best parts of each person he comes in contact with.
- “Buck” This fascinating documentary illustrates the life of Buck Branaman, one of the forerunners of the natural horsemanship movement. Much more than a movie about training horses, this is a beautiful description of the metaphor of the horse and human relationship.
- “The Man From Snowy River” Not so much a movie about equine therapy, as an uplifting story of just how profoundly a horse can impact a person, and just how deep that bond can go.
- “The Horse Whisperer” Rehabilitating a scared horse is the main premise of this movie, however, the horse whisperer (played by Robert Redford), through his relationship with the horse, really rehabilitates a family that has been tragically broken apart.
While these movies may, in their own way, shed a little light on the sometimes elusive bond between a horse and his person, more than likely, they will inspire the horse lover that exists in all of us.
Horse race photo available from Shutterstock.
Dorotik-Nana, C. (2012). Equine Therapy: A Few Good Movies. Psych Central. Retrieved on February 23, 2018, from https://blogs.psychcentral.com/equine-therapy/2012/01/equine-therapy-a-few-good-movies/