11 thoughts on “Mom Was Right: Clean Your Room

• May 12, 2012 at 6:44 am

i read this blog and i really enjoy reading it i am a teenager and i am very messy i tried hard to get organized but nothing works now all the people around me think i am messy and unorganized any advice

• May 12, 2012 at 10:03 am

Hi Nada,
      I am glad to hear you enjoy the blog. The first question is do YOU want to be less messy? Does being messy cause you any problems, like not being able to find things or not being able to do things you want to do? Many people who were messy as teenagers are not messy when they grow older. It is normal for teens to be messy. Many times it’s just not a priority for teens. If you do want to be less messy, then consider what it would take to solve the problem. For example, do you have a place to put everything? If you don’t have a place for things, that can be part of the problem. Do you tell yourself you’ll put your things up later? Then maybe putting things up right away instead of later would help. Are you rushing and short of time so you just throw your things down? If so is there a way to change your schedule so you have a little more time to put your things away? Or maybe you could schedule a time every week or twice a week to straighten up your room. Maybe you could listen to music and dance while you straighten your room and then after you finish give yourself something you enjoy. Like you could say as soon as you finish cleaning your room you can call your friend, go to a movie or buy a new CD. If you like the way your room looks when it’s clean then you could remind yourself of how great it will feel to have a clean room and to have your family compliment you. Maybe you could get started by cleaning your room as a surprise for your Mom for Mother’s Day. Good luck!

• May 17, 2012 at 7:31 am

thank you very much for your intrest you touch the point i suffer i say to my self i will tidy those later.. i waste time for looking for things and sometimes they are lost..i want to tell you that i share my room with my twin sister and she is emotional sensitve person for sure and she is so messy and every time i start to change she ruins every thing most of our troubles is concerning this issue.any advice

• May 17, 2012 at 7:38 am

Sharing a room with someone can make the task of keeping the room clean more difficult. I wonder if you could keep your things put up and make up your bed or your part of the bed even if she does not? Though the room may still look messy with your sister’s things laying around you would know where your things are and you would have a sense of being organized. After a while, if you don’t argue about it, your sister might follow your lead. She might not,, of course. Sometimes arguing about an issue keeps the issue alive and tends to encourage the other person to dig in their heels and stick to their position.

• November 25, 2012 at 2:44 am

Not one but both my adult daughters have got filthy, messy houses, the eldest’s messier than the younger one. It doesn’t seem to bother them! The funny thing (sad, actually) my younger daughter talks about how filthy and messy her sister’s house is! she doesn’t seem to realise that her own house is nearly just as filthy and messy! They don’t like me talking to them about it and ignore any helpful advice. I spring cleaned the younger daughter’s kitchen about 3 years ago, it took me a whole day, of course she didn’t keep it up. Otherwise, they’re pretty normal, seemingly happy enough people. It just makes me sad to see them so oblivious to such squalor. It must be an illness?

• November 26, 2012 at 6:45 am

Messiness is not necessarily an illness. There can be many reasons for not having a clean house. If it doesn’t bother them, it is unlikely to change!

• November 28, 2012 at 7:24 am

Thanks for replying. Could it be a type of dyslexia? Both are quite forgetful and disorganised. Dyslexia runs in the family.

• September 2, 2013 at 1:35 pm

I really struggle with cleaning. As a single parent who has 1 child home schooled and I work from home, spending 10 minutes, or 30 minutes a day doesn’t cut it. Oh well. It isn’t filthy, but its not clean either. I don’t feel comfortable having people over, however, when I have had planned company, the house gets relatively clean. But then theres the car and a garage, arg. I keep getting rid of stuff…that helps a little. Less to take care of. But the mess can really get me down sometimes, mostly when I am headed that way anyhow.

• February 24, 2015 at 9:41 am

This post is really interesting.I enjoyed reading it and the comment below!Thank you!Longlands Carpet Cleaners Ltd.

• July 10, 2015 at 7:00 am

I struggle with ocd, BPD , marijuana addiction, and depression. I have physical pain from three surgeries, and cleaning house is hard. I live alone, and have pets…a lot. They are my companions, and I cannot emotionally give them up. I pay a friend to clean. I have had a cycle of violence in my life that has caused a lit of anger, and am seeking counseling. I have not found d a fit and am on meds. It is a struggle. I am in Tulsa and have insurance. It is a cycle. I never really had violence and feel the weed, but mainly the North side of Tulsa, causes the beginning of my downfall. Being new to the area, and being unaware if my environment,and codependent got me hurt. I pray a lot..

• July 31, 2015 at 10:53 am

I hope that having more time in the area has given you the opportunity to find comment and support. Feeling alone is so difficult. Sounds like your faith is a huge support for you and your pets too. I hope there are some support groups in your area that can offer some comfort. Best Wishes, Karyn Hall