14 thoughts on “Emotional Sensitivity Self-Assessment

• July 29, 2015 at 9:40 am

Sure wish I knew where to start with my issues. Seems I have many and really didn’t realize until read the pages of this site. Funny thing I was looking for help and felt I can get some self help .it did in fact help me realise I could use a few of Dr. Books and see if I help myself. I hate feeling like I do. I’m always up and down. The emotional ride really is getting me nuts. Thank you for the instructions and the awareness. I will see if I can do this practicing on my own boy I hope so I sure could use the help. Thanks again . Tammy

• July 31, 2015 at 10:46 am

So glad you found the posts helpful. My best wishes to you for practicing the skills. If you are interested, at DBTSkillsCoaching.com I post information/videos and workbooks to help individuals learn emotion regulation skills. On August 21 there is also an advanced webinar on Forgiveness. You can participate in both or either if you want. I hope you have a good day and that you find peace for yourself.

• January 23, 2016 at 10:47 am

Interesting article.

What’s the difference between the “emotionally sensitive person” and BPD? I’ve seen you mentioned that it is not an illness. I’m assuming that everyone that has BPD is emotionally sensitive, but not necessarily the other way around? Because a lot of your questionnaire sounds like BPD. Perhaps BPD is just a more extreme version of your list.

Thanks for reading!

• January 24, 2016 at 12:39 pm

You got it!Not everyone who is born emotionally sensitive develops BPD or any mental disorder. I believe BPD is an extreme version, and has to include an environment that is invalidating (not necessarily abusive).

• January 24, 2016 at 1:02 pm

Thank you so much for your reply. It makes a lot of sense now. I read your other articles on “emotional sensitivity” and it fits me to a T. I’ve read about BPD, and I could relate to it but only a little, not very much. I was told by a DBT practitioner that I had “BPD-type symptoms” and I was a very emotional person, but didn’t have BPD.

I appreciate your reply. Going to pick up your book soon!

• February 14, 2016 at 3:43 am

Thank you for your test, it is huge relief to know that I am not so sensitive and can do important things in my life

• February 17, 2016 at 10:17 am

THIS MAY BE TOO PERSONAL but I took this test and found out that I am a emotionally sensitive person, I want to be able to control it and not cry or get overwhelmed when I see a cute dog on tv. Since I am so connected to my emotions I have not lost my virginity because it being my first I will most likely get too attached and I don’t want that to happen ( I’m 19). what should I do? How can I gain that much of control? Can a tragedy cause someone to become emotional?

• February 23, 2016 at 7:51 pm

I suggest you focus on emotion regulation skills. Be careful to not fight your emotions–your emotions give you important information and fighting them (they are hard-wired, you can’t not experience emotions) creates more distress and lowers your control. Accept your emotions and use coping skills so that your emotions don’t control you.

• August 30, 2016 at 7:52 am

I would call these people Emotionally Undifferentiated as they do not sort our their own emotions and emotional boundaries with others and are thus trapped in the failure to own their own feelings from the feelings of others. When emotional boundaries are identified, owned and then defined the person has sorted and differentiated the emotional context of oneself and others in a healthy and more effective response set…

• February 8, 2017 at 9:38 am

hey! thank u so much for sharing this post. it was really helpful. I am 17 years old and I am left-handed. I did the quiz and my score was 71. I always knew I was emotionally sensitive. I interpret things way more than I should and I always have high and low times(too frequent which are caused my thoughts rather than situations) Is there any connection of being left-handed and being an emotionally sensitive person?

• March 25, 2017 at 3:16 am

I always thought I was a very emotional person, like some people have mentioned here I too have ups and downs. Also, I start to respond/cry (sometimes) if I see someone suffering or read some bad news. Further, I over think about trivial issue, but surprise, when I took this test (very honestly)I was in the mildly emotional category (score of 51). I am surprised, can you please explain this?

• January 14, 2018 at 7:47 am

I was using a calculator on the side while doing the test, and I always get really annoyed when theres agree and disagree and no “neutral”, cause a lot of the time “it depends” when it comes to me. so around 3 or 4 times I took the liberty to do a 2.5 if I neither agreed or disagreed with the statement due it being one of those “it depends on the situation thing”.

It’s always a thing with me. Situationals and being maybe a little analytical. possibly why I get really pissed off when people throw hypotheticals (“what if you were like such and such. or what if such and such happened”) or comparative arguments (“this place is like somethingsomething” or “Look at how such and such does this”).

Ahhh, bleh, tangents. Anyways, became a 56.5. I probably fall right into it. Can’t stand the news or realistically violent/emotional movies or even most thriller style standard issue TV shows due to the things they do in them that bother me…
    If something sets off an emotional trigger of some kind on me I potentially lock up and have to bugger off temporarily and stop myself crying or atleast turn away to avoid people seeing said tears whelling up…

Emotion seems to get amplified quite highly but usually doing the things that calm me down like listening to music (none of that shit that normal people listen to on the radio. mostly video game soundtracks I quite like) or playing games or just chatting with friends usually levels me off easily again.

and stuff that trips my dislike of inequality, betrayal or cruelty etc is often met in my mind with vindictive thoughts of retribution… sometimes with a bit of anime level psychotic enjoyment from it, and wishing I had powers I could do things with to help everyone and stop such negativity from being a thing…

Over thinking… thats usually a big one too. but i think I might’ve gone too far. Though occasionally in cases where I deem them not too detrimental if stuff goes wrong or if I get sick of thinking I can potentially throw a “balls to it” argument that nulls it and just do something (usually with a mental image of that Shia Labeouf “just do it” appearing in my head at the time). like now. so balls to it.

• March 17, 2018 at 3:42 am

Why is it out of 82 if there are 20 questions all with 4 different answers. Therefore wouldn’t the maximum score be 80?

• May 18, 2019 at 2:25 pm

I took this test and was a little surprised I am 51. I have always been told, I’m too emotional over the top and need a tougher skin. I disagree – I can sometimes be over the top Sensitive when I think of loved ones I’ve lost, see so many homelessness, children and animals abused. How can I not be moved by pain others have…I am what I am, God given and I embrace the tears when they come, praying always helps and placing these emotions in the large hands of God.

However, I truly don’t know why I cry of past hurts, things that shouldn’t still cause emotional pain. Or if someone is angry with me, I will cry at the drop of a hat. I can’t control. My husband does not get upset with me too often (because he knows how sensitive I am), but when he does, I feel actual pain in my stomach.

Other than that, I’m always laughing, dancing, praising and singing… Thank you for your info and test… Diana