10 thoughts on “Four Characteristics of Soul-Fulfilling Relationships

• November 3, 2014 at 10:52 am

I have one more characteristic to add: True love that is free of any prejudices, opinions, and noticing faults in the other. Isn’t this a soulful characteristic? It does not mean to tolerate or keep accepting all wrong deeds of the other blindly; but it means to keep your mind free of all these remembrances and carry on the relation with equanimity.

• November 6, 2014 at 5:28 am

Sounds like you’re describing a blind love, ignoring the reality.

• November 3, 2014 at 8:02 pm

I call your concept spiritual nudity. Spiritual nudity means stripping away the clothing on one’s soul. It means revealing one’s deepest and most private thoughts and feelings. It means exposing oneself in a much more profound manner than physical nudity.

• November 5, 2014 at 11:13 am

The five areas to be implemented for a fulfilling relationship are truthfulness, trust, respect, love and intimacy, exactly in that order. And it takes time to identify whether these basic elements are present or not. Time is our greatest friend.

• November 5, 2014 at 12:06 pm

When did we decide that our marriages and partnerships should be about soul-connections?? I think therapists live in a fantasy world of how relationships should be; when in reality, the majority of relationships don’t get anywhere near these “soul-fulfilling” connections. We live with this crazy ideal where we expect that one person should meet all of our needs – financial, social, sexual, emotional and spiritual. Relationships and marriages are crumbling under this pressure. Why not ease up on our expectations of what relationships can or should be? If anything, these unrealistic expectations simply make people either blame themselves or feel chronically disappointed in others. Most of us don’t really get that unconditional (true) love we crave from others. Maybe it’s too much to ask of another person? And maybe that’s okay. Maybe we should learn to give it to ourselves.

• November 6, 2014 at 5:25 am

I think what has been written can actually make a relationship work better…at least honestly. Certainly not perfect or expecting…as Karyn has made clear regarding acceptance. I for one will hold out for this ‘soul fulfilling’ connection. If a relationship is not based in trust and acceptance then I’d rather remain alone…but not lonely.

• November 7, 2014 at 6:37 pm

I hear you, Jessica–We should love ourselves.

• November 10, 2014 at 4:19 pm

I think that’s why Dr. Hall says: Finding those “miracle” connections is a “challenge” (quotations mine). I’m still hoping for the miracle.

• November 7, 2014 at 6:39 pm

Karyn Hall’s article was eye-opening for me. I’m still the caretaker. Ugh! I’ve got more to work on…

• March 6, 2019 at 10:06 am

Really insightful.

Explained in short article very important things.

Thanks a lot.