12 thoughts on “Coping With A Stressful Situation: Managing Your Emotions

• January 29, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Right now i am so angry because of about 4 people i friended and want unfriend on my page. I found some FB pages filled with bullies that claim to be a support to people. I have had to deal with them and i was ousted from 3 pages by the bullies. It has been very stressful. I am now planning to disable my page and begin a new one to be rid of some people who are nto allowing me to have peace of mind.

• June 3, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Sonja,cool down,that’s what this article is really about.Don’t take hasty decisions.Allow time to pass over the matter-you’ll see things in a different perspective and be able to take more realistic and sensible decisions.

• February 2, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Wow! This was such an insightful article :-). I guess I might be a little alexithymic but is it really important to identify where in the body you are feeling your sensations? As per your article, the sensations for fear and sadness are felt in almost the same places like belly, chest and throat. I think I am evolving as a human being because before I started doing yoga, I would just say the first thing that came to mind when I became angry but nowadays I am more calm and slow to anger :-).

If anything gets me fired up, it is injustice done to others and I want to go all out and be an avenging angel :-). I would cry with frustration if I wasn’t able to help but nowadays, I am learning to tone down my emotions.

This is only the second article I have read of yours (the first was about emotionally sensitive people), but you are already becoming one of my favorites :-). Your articles are very helpful to me.

• February 2, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Thank you, Sameena. Sometimes when people have difficulty identifying their emotions using body sensations cna help. When emotions overlap in whare they are felt in the body, then context is often the deciding factor. I am so glad that the articles have been helpful.

• December 23, 2017 at 6:41 pm

I agree that it is very helpful to know what emotions I am feeling where in my body. I get all the emotional symptoms, even recently and agree that I could feel them right where the article says. I liked hearing about how Yoga has helped you. I haven’t tried yoga yet but would like to.

• February 7, 2012 at 2:24 pm

I have been in several jobs with verbally/emotionally abusive supervisors (I seem to be a good victim, as a very sensitive person). I have been yelled at, lectured at, and told what my personal problems are as if they knew if, and had to sit and take it. Many times I have been reduced to tears in this situation and felt humiliated. While I would have dearly loved to take a step back to get my emotions under control, when with a supervisor that was not always possible.

• February 7, 2012 at 4:22 pm

HI Ruth,
      You are absolutely right. There are times when you can’t leave a situation. Taking a step back can mean emotional distancing or detachment, rather than physically taking a break. But emotional distancing can be difficult too. Sometimes what you have to do is just get through the experience and think it through later when you can and then decide what your best options are. Waiting to express yourself until you can think the situation through later is often the best option, if it’s one you can use. Best wishes to you.

• December 23, 2017 at 6:36 pm

Hi Ruth, About 2 months ago I started e new job and the supervisor was downright abusive in the way she spoke to people. It was worse than rude, and very demeaning. But I was new and had not had that sort of experience before. I reacted (rather than calmly responding) and told her I did not appreciate her tone of voice. She said “You will do what I want, when I want, how I want. That’s what being on my team is.” I said, “That is not what a team is.” Then I left to go do my job. When I returned I expressed that she was out of line. She actually apologized and said she had hurt her foot. I am not normally bold enough to say anything but I chose not to start a new job in that type of relationship. Two months later, we have good, respectful communication.

• February 18, 2012 at 10:33 pm

I don’t understand why you think that anything will change about a situation just because time has passed. If I get a splinter in my finger waiting will not change anything about having the object under my skin. I am probablly missing something here, but no one seems to be able to explain the concept. And before you say it…I can NOT afford a counselor.

• February 18, 2012 at 11:26 pm

The situation may not change but your emotional reaction to it will. One example of this is habituation. When you first get a new computer or other such present you are excited. But after a short time the excitement wears off. Maybe you were upset about failing a test in high school. After a few hours or days you were no longer still as upset. Habituation means we tend to adapt to whatever occurs.

• April 16, 2012 at 11:51 pm

Jon Kabat-Zinn is the best…I love all of his Mindfulness work. If you really want to practice meditation and mindfulness and have any questions…read his book “Full Catastrophe Living”.

• August 24, 2013 at 10:59 pm

I’m learning so much about myself I think I need to slow down. This is really helpful information. thank you!