18 thoughts on “Knowing Your Emotions: Internal Triggers

• January 31, 2012 at 12:29 am

Hi Karyn. You wrote “Sometimes emotionally sensitive people have high criteria for themselves as friends and may use this same criteria to determine whether others care about them.” Could you discuss this a bit more? This is the first time I have heard this idea and I have a sense this might contribute to the belief I have that no one likes me. Thanks, Liz.

• January 31, 2012 at 7:34 am

Liz, excellent idea. Thank you! I write several posts ahead but stay tuned and please send any input you might have from your own experiences.

• January 31, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Hi Karen,

This particular blog post resonated deeply with me and especially this point:
    “Remember feeling something doesn’t necessarily mean it’s true.”

As an “emotionally sensitive” person, I find it so easy to confuse thoughts and feelings and then to act on my emotions, rather than my rational mind.

Feelings can fuel our thoughts and then they can become skewed and misdirected. That’s a problem I have. You make these distinctions clear and easily recognizable, plus you give good practical advice to avoid the pitfalls
    ~ I have a genius for falling into pitfalls.

Thank you for all the fine work you’re doing on your blog. For me, you’re a “must-read” and I’ve linked to you several times on my blog.

The material you cover, managing our emotions, is universally valuable to all of us.

Bravo. Kudos. Thanks.

Ciao,
    s

• January 31, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Hi Karyn,

Just reread my comment. I should have said, “I have a genius for falling into pits.” Or, “… for pit falling .”

What was I thinking? Obviously, my feelings and emotions were befuddling me.

Keep up the great work!

And heartfelt thanks for your note.

Ciao,
    s

• February 6, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Hi Karyn,

I agree with you that thoughts about others are triggers for emotions and every now and then I run into them. Angry about somebody at work makes me react too sharp on small things at home.
    I am impressed by your statement “Once you’ve identified the trigger, you may feel some relief immediately”.
    Keep up the good work.

Thanks,
    Jason

• February 14, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Thank you for this article, it’s worth printing and reminding myself of the tips. I think knowing what the triggers are is half the battle. I’m trying to find different ways to be more centered and dove into a book by http://boblivingstone.com/ called Unchain The Pain. In it Bob sets up the book with a base of questions to help reveal what is wrong. It’s been a good self help guide for me. Thanks again for the tips.

• September 29, 2012 at 4:17 am

Thank you for this very insightful article.(p.s.: Would you please review & edit the paragraph titled “Initial Steps to Take” so I can read what’s missing, thanks!)

• May 19, 2013 at 5:32 pm

I am a alcoholic in recovery and like myself every other addict I’ve met over reacts to people, places, and things all of the time.

My thoughts are that people with over reactive emotional problems need to seek professional help to overcome them as with any physiological issue.

• January 20, 2014 at 4:23 am

Hi Karyn,

Thank you so much for your helpful article. I have one question. I have BPD and I don’t understand why being an emotional sensitive person can be a gift. I’m trying to find this out for years. Can you please help me?

Thank you so much.

• January 20, 2014 at 8:19 am

The emotional sensitivity has a positive side for many people. You can be more understanding of others, tuned in to their feelings, sensitive to their emotions. You may appreciate the beauty in the world more, be artistic and have a special connection with animals. You may be more spiritually connected than others. Those are a few ideas!

• January 20, 2014 at 10:29 am

Thank you so much, Karyn, for your helpful answer. I mostly see the negative sides of being an emotional sensitive person. Best thing is to see more the positive sides in order not to stay in the negativity.

• February 20, 2014 at 10:24 pm

Hi I’m Abbi and I need help figuring out my feelings.I recently got denied by someone I really like and I don’t know how I feel.Sometimes I think I’m sad,mad or ok about it but I’m not for sure.I even took a test what my personally was and it was mutiemotionly,true story!Please help me!
    . thanks,
    Abbi

• February 22, 2014 at 1:43 pm

Hi Abbi,
      Good for you that you are working on identifying what you are feeling. There are many ways to do that. One is to ask yourself how you think most other people would feel in the same situation. Another way is to notice where in your body you are experiencing sensations. Often emotions occur in certain parts of your body such as sadness is often a heavy feeling in the chest or behind the eyes. Check out this site help with where emotions are often felt:http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/body-maps-show-feel-love-anger-shame-article-1.1562882. You might also look at what actions you want to take. If you have an urge to run, you might be feeling fear. If you want to hide, you might be feeling shame. If you want to withdraw and do nothing, then you might be feeling strong sadness. Best Wishes to you and I hope this helps.

• February 22, 2014 at 7:47 pm

Thanks a lot I really needed that

• February 22, 2014 at 8:09 pm

I’m not trying to be mean
    on the last one it kept
    cutting off words.Thanks
    again for helping me
    out!

• October 20, 2014 at 10:58 am

Hi I am sorry if my message makes no sense. I am confused and stuggling with wondering if I am emotionally sensitive or in an emotionally abusive neglectful relationship. I feel I agree with some feelings you have posted. I want to know if I am being treated unfairly or maybe its just me being over senstive. I want to be able to fix myself if this is the problem its really been so painful. Could you help me?