6 thoughts on “The Client/Therapist Relationship

• November 4, 2015 at 9:57 am

I agree Nicole. Being honest and actively listening is super helpful once you have trust. Mutual trust makes things so much easier. It builds respect and responses to concerns are more accurately addressed if the concerns are unbiased.

I like my therapist to be unbiased as possible and not to validate or contradict without proper analysis built on trust. I don’t need a cheerleader or another parent. I need objective clear feedback. I try to own up to my participation in the creation of an undesirable situation.

• November 4, 2015 at 10:10 am

Hello Pete,

Thank you so much for reading and commenting.

Best to you.

Nicole

• November 4, 2015 at 10:01 am

Typo in 1st paragraph – should be “unbiased” not biased.

Pete Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    9:57 am on November 4th, 2015

• November 6, 2015 at 8:23 pm

Love this article, and it’s so true! I have been in therapy now for 8 1/2 years … I started my healing journey back in 2007, and I have to say it’s been one of the most hardest but liberating journey’s I have ever been on.

The connection between therapist and client is very important, and there is also boundaries that play a huge role as well.

My therapist is amazing .. he has been a huge guidance of wisdom for a long time now.. and what people need to realize is, the therapist is not there to do the work for you, the work is within yourself, the therapist is there to help guide you.

The relationship is not perfect .. there are times of small ruptures in therapy, but that teaches us the humanness of both client and therapist.

Connection in therapy is CRUCIAL and plays a huge roll in the healing journey, and I am glad I found a great therapist to walk this journey with me.

• November 7, 2015 at 4:53 pm

Nicole,
    Great article. As both a therapist and client in therapy, I agree with everything you said. The therapist-client relationship can be amazingly healing with trust and honesty that many have never experienced in such a profound way. I hope more people will give therapy a try after reading your article.

• November 10, 2015 at 10:12 am

Thank you so much, Sharon.

I honestly believe I couldn’t make it by without therapy. It’s been a huge life transforming thing for me and I think everyone should try it.

Best to you,