9 thoughts on “Bipolar Disorder and The Mixed Features

• August 21, 2015 at 4:40 pm

This is such great information, and useful resources. It’s hard to find first person accounts of what a mixed state actually feels like when it’s happening. Thanks for being brave enough to share your life!

• August 21, 2015 at 5:11 pm

Thank you, Nicole for sharing your wealth of information and personal battles. Mixed states are by far the worst in my experience, it’s wonderful to learn about the tools and resources you have in place. Feel better soonest.

• August 22, 2015 at 10:04 am

Thank you, Jackie.

I am feeling so much better already.

Nicole

• August 23, 2015 at 9:48 am

reblogged on thelithiumchronicles.org

• August 23, 2015 at 4:30 pm

Thanks for your description of a mixed state. They are awful, and I’m quite prone to them, I feel for you.

You are lucky to have the help you do, the idea of emergency meds and a psychiatrist that you can contact as needed and get an appointment with is totally alien to me. Around here you can only see your psychiatrist at scheduled appointments, if you call asking for help between, they won’t send a message to the Dr., if you insist, they’ll send you to the emergency room where they won’t do anything other than telling you to use your skills unless you are suicidal, then they *might* send you inpatient, but they are much more likely to have your friend or significant other work with them on a “Safety Plan”. I really feel abandoned by the mental health profession around here. Sorry, I felt like letting that out.

• August 23, 2015 at 7:33 pm

Hi Jim

I’m sorry that you have had these experiences. Our mental health care system needs a huge overhaul. Never stop speaking out. I’m sorry that you feel abandoned, it’s not uncommon for me to receive the same messages of discouragement. There are many amazing forums here on Psych Central for some extra support when you just feel like talking to someone who understands. Thank you for sharing.

All the best,

Nicole

• November 13, 2015 at 6:19 am

such a nice feeling to that there are others out there fighting the same battles as me. I have just come through a mixed episode which I found quite terrifying…so anxious of going into the too high, too late phase. Fortunately for me I have the most wonderful doctor I can call upon 24/7…not that I do very often but when I do he’s there straight away with a plan of attack. As much as I hate taking anti psychotics ( they zone me out terribly and I can’t function properly) there is a time and place for them. I just hate that whenever I get to a place where I feel happy..I start to worry. And, more often than not, I start going high. I wish there was a happy medium…like you, Nicole, I do all the right things, eat healthy, regular exercise,yoga, walks along the beach, quality time with my son…but in the end it always gets me one way or another, like a constant shadow lurking in the background. But I make the best of what I e got and sometimes it makes me happy that I can wake up, get out of bed, and look forward to what the day brings. Not so good days are spent clinging to the knowledge of the adage ” been here before and got through, am going to get through this as well”. It’s day by day sometimes..but u just make the most of the good days when they come around. Thanks Nicole will be reading your blogs regularly from now on.