6 thoughts on “When People Prefer You Sick

• June 25, 2015 at 2:10 pm

Nicole, fabulous post. Powerful, well-written and on point. Great advice for ANYONE, not just those of us living with a serious mental illness. Thank you.

• June 27, 2015 at 5:18 am

Thank you so much, Kitt.

I can’t express to you how much I value your thoughts and opinions. I look up to you so much. Thank you for taking the time to read and comment, I appreciate it so very much.

All the best,

Nicole

• June 26, 2015 at 3:15 pm

wow, this is so important! I’m experiencing a couple of things you talked about during my bpd-dbt training/learning/healing, and don’t have the support in some important relationships that I hoped. I think fear from others (who may have disorders themselves) most certainly triggers their need to to not want you healthy-we might not need them anymore…so thanks for encouraging people to stick with whatever you are battling for! Mine, a life worth living, and I wouldn’t trade it for the hell i’ve been through!!
    I’m also struggling to find the balance in me-before it was so awful or amazing, the only two states I knew; and so it’s interesting to see what I/we will become(our real us!). I miss the creativity/spontinatey/excitement of the highs though, i guess someday,, in time, i’ll have them in a new healthy way. Thanks for the space to “talk” to you!!=)

• June 27, 2015 at 5:16 am

Hollie!

Hello there. I’ve seen you on TLC, but we’ve never really had a chance to “speak” yet. I’m so sorry that you’re finding the lack of support, but if it is a relationship that is crucial to you, I honestly believe that if the other person can choose to be educated, there is hope. In my case, that person chose not to take the education, he flat out wanted me sick. This isn’t always the case. Encourage your loved ones to educated themselves, be the conduit to opening up those doors of hope. If they still say no, then reevaluate. They may surprise you. not everyone will go through what I did, but if you do, please know that it’s not your fault and that there is help out there.

In time you will find the creative, spontaneous, fun and balanced you – all of that doesn’t have to go away, just in reasonable amounts that are healthy for you, this I promise you. Give it a chance. I’m always here to chat. Or catch me on thelithiumchronicles.org

All the best, Hollie 🙂

Nicole

• June 27, 2015 at 1:44 am

I don’t have anyone who wants me to stay sick, but then again, most of the people in my life don’t even believe I am, so does that count? I’ve found my way to this from your other blog. Consider me your newest fan.

• June 27, 2015 at 5:08 am

Hello Sandra.

Oh I have been through that one as well. Are there any supportive forces in your life? We have forums here on Psych Central and I have a lot more that I could introduce you to. I know how it feels to not have a lot of support. Thank you for reading and commenting. I appreciate it so much and I’m happy that you’ve found me on both blogs. I love to be able to connect with my readers.

Let me know if you’d like me to recommend an online support group.

All the best,