7 thoughts on “Bipolar Type II: Work and Pacing Yourself

• September 28, 2011 at 6:23 pm

Thanks for this reflection Steve. This is something I struggle with as well. I’m currently a PhD student which gives me a lot of flexibility but also sets up a less regulated and pretty stressful life. It has taken me time to balance out in my bipolar and learn how to work with it, but coming into my dissertation writing, I’m a bit concerned. Always more learning to manage to do.

Thanks for your blog. I’m quite pleased to find a blog I really connect to.

• September 28, 2011 at 6:29 pm

Glad you feel at home here Katie, good luck with your dissertation and managing the demands.

• September 30, 2011 at 7:26 am

Steve,I like that hiking picture, I was manic twice this week, woke up yesterday severly depressed. So I grabbed my bike, through it in the trunk of my car (tied it with rope, the Cajun way) and rode my bike around the LSU lakes in Louisiana. The atmosphere changed my mood to positive and the thought I might get hit by a car at any moment made me focus on the here and now. That was a little joke on the end. Peace, Love, & Kumbaya!

• September 30, 2011 at 11:37 am

Excellent stuff Desiree! But I can’t take credit for the hiking picture, it was added after I posted my blog (thank you to whoever keeps adding the pics for me).

• December 29, 2011 at 11:28 pm

Thank you Steve for insights.
    Like Katie I too have bipolar and have been working on my doctorate for 4 years now.
    I have been going through a major bipolar episode for the last 5 months. during my episode I couldn’t focus on my dissertation, totally screwed up my finances and am weeks away from forclosure on my house. and the one thing I thought I had going for me was that my dissertation was going to be approved. Guess I had that one wrong.

I am taking ownership of what I did during my episode and trying to make things right…just thought I had this one in the bag.

I think perhaps I should have done my dissertation on something to do with bipolar and the dissertation/doctorate process…that I understand…lol…think it is too late to start over

I just admitted over Christmas that I had been going through and episode and covering it up. I hate this thing called bipolar and am tired of the power it has over my life.
    sorry, I just needed to share my thoughts with someone.

• March 18, 2012 at 3:26 pm

I don’t know if you’ll even see this, I just found this site. It is hard to work—not really, not most of the time, but occasionally I can’t control my emotions and it makes me look bad, and my co-workers not thing too highly of me. I do the best I can. I know my limits and I have come to understand that my limits for stressful situations are less than someone else’s. To honor that makes it safer for me and my patients (I’m a nurse.)

• March 24, 2012 at 6:02 am

Hi Rene, I’m really sorry you’ve had a bad run lately, I’m sure most of us on here understand what that’s like. It’s not just about admitting fault its also about forgiveness, we make mistakes and we move on from them, they’re not good or bad they just are what they are. I truly believe things come along when they need to although we don’t always see why straight off. I hope that you are feeling a little less frustrated by the bipolar. I have plenty of tough times with mine but I try to remember that it’s what makes me compassionate, because I have felt every feeling and can empathize with others when they need it most. I hope you find your blessing in this.

Xo