16 thoughts on “How To Handle a Teen’s Dramatic or Manipulative Suicide Threat

• April 10, 2017 at 11:07 am

That;s great, but you never addressed WHAT to do if they ARE using it as manipulation 🙁 as in my case right now with my daughter.

• April 25, 2017 at 5:17 am

Just do what i did,Call the cops Infront of them and Casually b e like “Well,You did say you wanted to commit suicide,Which i should call for help” EVERY.SINGLE.TIME Until they literally become scared to say it.

• April 25, 2017 at 5:18 am

My daughter is 31 and still does this little ploy when i refuse to care for her child Non-Stop.

• June 17, 2017 at 8:15 am

“EVERY.SINGLE.TIME Until they literally become scared to say it”
        And what happens if they actually become suicidal and need genuinely need help? Then they’ll become to scared to say it to anyone so their problems get worse and worse it until it’s too late so if you take that approach and find your child dead from an overdose, don’t be surprised.

• June 21, 2017 at 12:08 pm

Exactly. And how do you force them to get the help they need, if they are bigger and stronger than you? And when you call 911, they run before help arrives?

• August 18, 2018 at 8:37 pm

I’m trying too. My daughter uses it as a power play almost every time she doesn’t get her way. And I’m not even a strict parent.

We did treat it as serious at first. She went to counseling, the school was involved, everything.

She refused to participate. And it doesn’t seem to of straightened her attitude at all.

• December 12, 2018 at 5:26 pm

I’m currently dealing with this. It’s so frustrating!

• September 11, 2017 at 5:28 am

I really need a good adolescent therapist in Rockville MD!! Preferably a female. My daughter is 17 and I had to call the police twice tonight! All because I busted her with alcohol and a fake ID. I took her keys and grounded her and she flipped out. I am worried she will hurt herself! She has massive rage and breaks stuff when angry. She is currently seeing a therapist for anger management but it isn’t working!!
    Any recommendations PLEASE!!!

• April 21, 2018 at 11:45 pm

Sounds like she has borderline personality disorder. She will manipulate every doctor so do some research on it and if it fits, tell the doctors you believe she has it ahead of time.

• May 3, 2018 at 12:17 pm

Mine does it for attention and gets attention every single time and goes to a mental health facility every single time. She likes it there, she uses suicide threats to go back when she wants, and she doesn’t do any school work while there so is failing 9th grade, AGAIN. She also goes to group there, hears other people talk about their mental disorders, and pretends that she has them also. Now she is getting medicated, blaming everything she does on med side effects, and getting new meds constantly. How far do I allow this to go and how do I stop this manipulation and lies? It is going as far as everyone around her allows it to go and nobody cares because they’re only concerned about her “suicide threats.”

• May 16, 2018 at 9:22 am

It sounds like Borderline. They threaten suicide a lot. Their lives are better harsh. It’s best for them to find an strength and then just stick with it. It’s not an easy life but be forewarned they try to abuse others. :/ They are not the kindest people and they lean to heavily on others / codependent. Make sure she does her part in helping and teach her to give back, not be selfish. They tend to be so self absorbed they don’t see anyone but themselves. :/ There is a whole wide world here so teach her to focus on others and have her volunteer.

• December 6, 2018 at 3:23 pm

This is EXACTLY what my concern is. Our daughter is highly manipulative and she will write fake suicide notes (saying she’s taken pills when she has no access to any). She is in therapy and we have taken her for a suicide assessment at Vanderbilt in Nashville after she told the therapist she was suicidal. They evaluated her and sent her home. In her fake suicide notes, she said she was cutting when she actually wasn’t. She is doing this because she has been kept from seeing her friends who were doing drugs with her, having sex with her (she is 14) and after a CPS investigation, she was put in our custody and a restraining order put against these people. She and they keep finding ways to violate it. Her latest fake suicide note says that maybe this time we will take her to the hospital and call these friends of hers and understand she needs them. It’s out and out manipulation. The therapists even agree. When one course of manipulation doesn’t succeed, she ups the ante. If we send her to a center she will just learn new techniques from other patients and continue to wallow in her drama, deny responsibility for her actions, and revel in being “damaged” which she wears like a badge of honor.

We don’t know what to do. We don’t want to ignore her threats even if they aren’t credible, but we also don’t want to feed her BPD and give her more and more tools to nurture her illness and expand her repertoire of manipulative tactics. What do we do??

• January 13, 2019 at 2:43 am

You just described my teenage cousin whom I’m adopting to a T. I’m currently going through this. She makes up stuff as she goes. She’s had 2 failed attempts , 2 hospital stays and claims she’s tried 6 times . I don’t believe that as she lies so much and just keeps adding things to her list. She’s had a rough life but it wasn’t until these past 6 months hanging around depressed kids that she started this. I’m at a loss. Going to get her in for some help come Monday.

• December 20, 2018 at 8:55 pm

My nephew shot himself because he said his gf just broke up. Then he got into huge fight with his mother she went to jail. The same night he said to friend he killing himself I called cops they looked all night and most of next day for him. He finally texted a friend said he needed help his friend was 4 miles from where he was. He saw his friend coming and he hung himself. But we all know it was not attempted to die. His friend cut him down. When we saw him next day he was laughing and carrying on. Faked like he can’t talk then all of sudden next day he was talking normal. He should held countable for doing this twice. By the way he shot himself on right side of stomach where he knew wouldn’t kill him. Why do someone like him do this to his loved ones

• January 15, 2019 at 1:02 pm

I appreciate your article. My niece is a cutter and texts and verbally tells her dad if he takes her for evaluation that she will follow through with killing herself. My brother tells me about all of her meltdowns which are followed by crazy behaviors of sterling her parents credit cards and sometimes spending up to $1000- online. I am bipolar 1 , and she reminds me of myself at that age. Because of her ups and downs being pretty severe i believe she is also bipolar.

Again I really appreciate your article. It gave me the strength to contact her doctor yesterday, she had a 4pm appt, and I told her doctor everything. I had to take the chance of losing my relationship with my brother to hopefully save my neice. It is totally worth it! Thank you so much!!!!