8 thoughts on “Snarky Answers to Annoying Questions About Mental Illness

• June 18, 2015 at 11:39 pm

People actually ask you questions? Wow! I wish I could get people to ask me questions instead of telling me what it is like to be mentally ill.

• June 18, 2015 at 11:44 pm

Oh, people tell me “stuff” as well! ๐Ÿ™‚ ~Gabe

Thanks for reading and commenting!

• June 26, 2015 at 11:02 am

I have a good friend, who now considers herself an expert on my symptoms, triggers and moods.
    Some times she is annoying. I know that she is just trying to the helpful. But I feel like she tries to
    bend my symptoms around to fit what she “thought” was happening.
    It is hard not to get snarky with her sometimes. I don’t always need an expert, sometimes, just a friend.

• July 3, 2015 at 9:59 am

Annabell – Thank you for reading and commenting. I know what you mean about people trying to be our doctors when we picked them to be our friends. ((hugs))

~Gabe

• June 29, 2015 at 4:32 am

Hahaha…I love this article. And I think giving the snarky answer would be appropriate sometimes. I might try it the next time I get a stupid remark or question.

• July 3, 2015 at 9:59 am

Sheila –

I agree that sometimes there is nothing to do but rolls your eyes and move on. Remember, when considering the snarky answer to the rude question, there may be people watching. So even though you didn’t reach the person who was being rude — you might reach the person who overhears. Thank you for reading and commenting! You are #awesomepotatoes ๐Ÿ™‚ ~Gabe

• July 13, 2015 at 9:11 pm

Do you ever worry that when we diagnose people with a mental illness and treat it as a medical condition, we are intrinsically creating a stigma around mental illness because we are saying something is wrong with someone?

• August 15, 2015 at 4:15 pm

Hi Gabe. I was surprised to learn that many people think those with mental illness tend to be violent. There must be many fictional characters who are both ill and violent. Do you know the statistical rarity? as in what percentage of mentally ill are violent? I am one of those people who does watch a lot of documentaries. TVO ran one on Brockville Psych Hospital that was excellent if you get a chance to see it. It talks about violence so a bit of a sad one.