Comments on
Depression, obsession and rumination

I once heard a guy say that he tries to wear his life like a comfortable old t-shirt. I like that and I’ve been trying to do it lately but I think I must have shrunk that t-shirt in the dryer because it’s tight as hell right now.

9 thoughts on “Depression, obsession and rumination

• February 27, 2015 at 11:10 pm

I hope you feel better soon. Keeping you in my prayers.

• February 28, 2015 at 12:10 am

Dysthymia is a long term depression that can steal years from a person’s life. It is often accompanied by moderate to severe depressive episodes. There is hardly anything lite about it.

• February 28, 2015 at 10:41 am

Thank you for sharing your personal challenge Christine. I pray that your shirt will feel more comfortable soon. You seem to have a high degree of awareness. Your note helps me to better understand what my wife is going through at times. She’s suffered from depression and other related conditions for years. Sometimes she gets “stuck” on a thought or idea and can’t let it go.

Take care and God bless you.

• February 28, 2015 at 7:03 pm

My thoughts go out to you x

• March 1, 2015 at 1:28 pm

You had me right up to “…dysthymia – the lite-beer version of depression.”

As someone who only recently has been diagnosed with dysthymia (but who has lived with it his entire life), I assure you, there is nothing “lite” about it. I have lost YEARS of my life — not to mention friends, family and a career — due to its insidious influence. Every poor decision I’ve ever made in the past 40 years — while ultimately my own responsibility — has been made under its sinister effects, and every good one has been made in spite of them. Being depressed — even mildly — for years at a stretch completely screws-up a person’s sense of what’s normal, to the point where the lulls in the depression feel as though something’s not right.

I can empathize with you — and with anyone who has ruminated on a thought to the point of madness — and I wish you all the best in your journey. But please don’t minimize the struggles of those of us taking a similar journey under slightly less challenging circumstances.

• March 8, 2015 at 10:23 am

John: I completely understand and am truly sorry you took offense. Dysthymia is a horrible, horrible illness. I believe my mother suffered with it for much of her life. Both forms of bipolar and insidious. Both skew a “person’s sense of what it normal.” For me, after my diagnosis, the clouds parted and my life made sense but I wonder sometimes how much better my life could have been if I hadn’t been so damn stubborn and had sought help sooner. These days, I’m looking ahead and trying to make-up for lost time. I wish you the best and am glad our paths briefly crossed.

• March 8, 2015 at 11:41 am

Thank you, Christine. Perhaps my original response was a bit rash, but I have met with a fair amount of resistance from people — especially some of those closest to me — who fail to understand the nature of my particular “flavor” of depression or its cumulative effects. Any hint of dismissiveness tends to set me off, I’m afraid. I fully appreciate there are people rolling much bigger rocks up much steeper hills every day.

In any case, I did appreciate (and share) your original post, and I wish you the best.

• March 21, 2015 at 6:40 am

Hey, I totally get it. I believe my mother suffered from dysthymia. When I look back at her life, I don’t think of a vibrant, happy woman. She seemed so sad and weary. Her life was hard. She loved us so much but I can’t for the life of me, recall a single happy-go-lucky moment. It’s like rather than being smothered by a heavy blanket you are under a sheet of despair – you can move and walk and talk and even appear happy, but that sheet does not keep you warm or cool enough. It’s just there. With dysthymia you don’t have the choice of reaching down and grabbing that warm down comforter when you are cold or flinging off the sheet when you area hot. You never get the rest you need. I get it. Please, get well.

• March 20, 2015 at 11:34 pm

There is nothing worse, then going through hell of depression. I felt for a long time like I am hanging between life and death. It was very debilitating, and prevented me of having a proper life, for years. Breathing and having a pulse is not life for real. It took me a while, but I managed to teach myself how to push trough the day, and keep on fighting.
    In the end, it all comes down to helping yourself get up and fight, because without that no one can truly help you, no matter how much they would want to. I recommend something that has helped me a lot. It is James Gordon’s system at http://walone.ga/coping-with-depression/
    He is a former depression sufferer, and teaches a totally natural 7 step process which relieves depression from your life.