13 thoughts on “Get me a sledge hammer: Depression as anger turned inward

• May 22, 2014 at 12:53 pm

When I was angry I would scrub my bathroom until it was spotless and shining. Everyone knew that I had been very angry. My Bathrooms aren’t as clean anymore. Now I scream with my car windows up or work in my yard. Just getting the angry energy out helps so much. Right now I have a yard full of brush that was cut down behind my fence. I really cannot keep putting off picking it all up until I am once again angry, I just have to get in there and get it into lawn bags.

• May 22, 2014 at 5:28 pm

auto repair shop turned crossfit gym
    are you in NJ by chance ? And I too believe anger can cause depression I hold in my anger when people hurt me I shut up and keep in inside then I cant talk at all I close up and become a shell of a person it sucks now I say what I feel , most of the time and let the person hurting me know they are and I forgive , usually and move on and yelling or hiking works too

• May 23, 2014 at 8:54 am

Well done & well said. I wish you well with work situation

• June 2, 2014 at 12:52 pm

Christine, I admire your wit as you describe this solution and your intelligence in finding this solution is admirable as well. You gave me a laugh as I read your account, and boy can I emphatize. I’ll bet the junkyard’s cheaper than Crossfit! Well done.

• April 15, 2015 at 6:17 am

I agree with this this philosophy. I have known this technique intellectually, but at the age of 65, I am just now applying it. Yes, two days ago. I dealt with writing for PTSD, but I am now screaming into a pillow. I am going too buy a wiffle bat today. Thank you. I am glad you have a new turn in your life.

• April 18, 2016 at 4:43 pm

*It has caused way more suffering than the original problem [so called mental illness] they set out to rectify.

• August 26, 2016 at 1:41 pm

It’s funny, my Pastors wife shared depression was anger turned inward last evening. I can see how that could be, but I am also confused. I feel utterly empty and feel no anger. Sadness, yes. Hopeless, yes. But I don’t even know if I have enough in me to express anger. I know what I am probably angry about. A few years ago I was in a car accident. It was a result of a completely careless young lady. My knee was shattered in that accident. It has completely changed my life. I now limp all the time. I have difficulty just walking through WalMart. I have gained a ton of weight. My kids don’t have the mom they used to have. I used to enjoy going places. Now I just want to sit home in the dark and quiet. Every single time I go anywhere I have to absolutely force myself to get dressed and leave the house. Honestly if it was not for my kids, I think I would be a total hermit. I wish I knew how to let go. Everytime I think I have let go it isn’t long before I realize I am still in this broken body that will never be the same. Everytime I see the person who caused this in my life I am angry because she is uninjured and gets to move from this accident, but I am stuck in the aftermath forever. I know it is wrong for me to live in anger and it is more self-destructive, but it is just so hard to move on.

• September 7, 2016 at 10:43 pm

Have you ever considered about adding a little bit more than just your articles?
    I mean, what you say is important and all. But just imagine if you added some great images or videos to give your posts more, “pop”!
    Your content is excellent but with images and video clips,
    this site could undeniably be one of the best in its field.

Terrific blog!

• September 17, 2016 at 11:28 am

Absolutely. I am actually at a conference right now in Denver – Online News Association – to learn how to do that!!!

• November 9, 2016 at 8:34 pm

You may want to take a look at ISTDP. Read, for example, the book Co-Creating Change, by Jon Frederickson. ISTDP goes back to the late 1960’s, and is used by independent therapists as wells as at some hospitals. ISTDP stands for Intensive Short-Term Dynamic Psychotherapy.

• November 11, 2017 at 1:52 pm

I am a bit surprised..many junkyards sell parts used so were you charged for the glass and mirrors? just curious really! Also! Please be careful hitting tires with a sledgehammer, the wrong angle and it could bounce back and hit you. Other than that, yes I agree, many times depression is not so much a chemical imbalance but anger that a perswon has not successfully resolved, and many times we have no clue as to what specifically is wrong, but when you find it and address it without actually physically chokiing another person, when we stop beating our own selves up, it feels so great!