26 thoughts on “To the Parents of Adult Children with Mental Illness: This Bill is for You

• July 25, 2011 at 12:28 am

Hi, My son is noncomlpliant about his meds,not taking baths and is deteriorating continually. He can’t stay in my 55 plus Park so he is talking about moving 45 min. away from me and his Dr. at mental health clinic. I told him to wait until we have the money, which I am expecting, then I will get a place for both of us. He cannot make it on his own. Will guardianship provide a way for him to be sure to take his meds? On his own he is worse and eats less than he is with me, which is very little too. Thank you, Carol

• February 17, 2019 at 8:47 pm

Carol, No guardianship usually does not give you the right to force medication. At least not in the state of Minnesota. BUT…it does give you the right to put them into treatment if they are not doing well because of non compliant. This is a tough road as we have been battling it head on for 4 years. We have spent money and energy and have lost friends due to their unfortunate ignorance to this disease. Find proof he is a danger to himself or others…be diligent about this, This could be him sleeping outside unprotected, in an abusive relationship, post on social media with bizarre claims for his safety. If he has any personal diaries get your hands on them and use them in court. This is not about his privacy, its about his life. Im so sorry nobody responded to you sooner. We Parents need to help each other. Signed, A Mother who’s daughter was disconnected from her family for about 11 years due to Paranoid Chronic Schizophrenia.

• September 21, 2011 at 3:10 pm

My 20-year old son is bipolar and possibly schizophrenic and is currently on expensive meds. I could never afford the Abilify which would cost me $1400 a month on top of the Seroquel ($500 a month) if he was not on my insurance plan from my employer. Once he turns 24, he will be off the plan. He cannot find work, has dropped out of school, and I believe he is a danger to himself as he does not eat properly or regularly, keeps strange sleep schedules, and has an overall disregard for himself and others. Is there a bill that will help adults like these remain on their parents’ insurance plan for longer than 24?

• September 21, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Kathy: Not that I know of. There should be and it would make financial and common sense to have such a law – not to mention is would be the most humane thing society could do for the mentally ill. If I hear of anything you can be sure I will write about it! All the best…Christine

• March 27, 2015 at 6:45 am

There is a way…get legal guardianship, establish dependency. Most insurance companies accept that as a dependent beyond 24.

• December 4, 2011 at 2:49 am

My God, I thought I was the only mother suffering. My 21 year old was picked up, ‘ BAKER ACTED” tonight in West Palm Beach. I’m online looking for someone to help us now. I am all he has left because the rest of the family has turned away, including his father, but he was never there anyway, and that’s his problem. I think he will kill me one day, but I hate to see him on the streets. I don’t want to be the next family on the news.

God Bless you mothers.
    ….and thank you Christine for caring so much.

April

• January 21, 2012 at 10:38 pm

I am going to share this with my brother, this is great!

• February 3, 2012 at 11:54 am

my 40+ yr old daughter has dumped her mentally ill daughter along w/her newborn on me and refuses to help..with even basic needs..my health is bad and help is needed..what are my daughters responsiblities to help with her 19yr old mentally ill child?

• February 7, 2012 at 8:08 am

Merely wanna comment on few general things, The website layout is perfect, the subject matter is real wonderful : D.

• March 15, 2012 at 10:36 pm

I think this Bill is an excellent way of letting the government know that there is a problem around the world with the mentally ill and disable. We as mothers with mentally ill adults need to join forces and bring this Bill to past. We need all the help and this Bill is a great start for us to get help for our sons and daughters. Sign the Petition get it going!!! I too am a mother of a 29 year who is schizoaffective (schizophrenia/bipolar) disorders. Lets help them!!!

• July 29, 2012 at 3:26 am

Can an adult with mental illness become their own guardian? They know right from wrong. This person I am talking about knows how to make their own decision more then what I am suprise. This person does have a treatment plan. Has a guardian aswell. I know this person, I am getting so frustrated because he get treated like a child and not an adult. He knows right from wrong. He grasp what he needs to understand . He understands more then what they are giving him credit for. Is there any help resource that so that this person can be on his own and live a some what of a normal life? He does know he wants to be married have a family, work and basic life skills. He is a high functional client I have at the vocational center I work at. He grasps the concepts more then what they are giving him credit for…

• July 29, 2012 at 3:08 pm

No, a person cannot be there own guardian. By definition, a guardian must be another person. Perhaps a new guardian might be in line.

• July 29, 2012 at 3:31 am

My client is bipolar and aggressivness issues and not like he has. I always told him like it is , he understands. I treat him like an adult person. He knows , well aware of his own actions. it is frustrating me to no end, he is ready to face the reality of being on his own, he is wanting more to life then living in group home, he takes his meds with no complaints. he knows and grasp that… any help for him so he can make his own decision and live on his own, have that wife he wants and a family????

• April 23, 2013 at 8:41 pm

We live in Indiana. We have a son who is bipolar and mentally retarded with an IQ of 66 and need to get guardianship of him so that we can help him. What do we need to do. We don’t have much money so any help would be appreciated as to what we need to do.

• March 27, 2015 at 6:49 am

Find a nonprofit charity organization that helps with this. i.e. Catholic Charities.

• February 5, 2015 at 6:28 am

As great as this bill is, it doesn’t address those who don’t have the money up front to help their adult kids. There are many frustrated parents who want to help their kids and the kids are not being helped simply because they have adult rights and doctors don’t encourage the kids to stay longer than the 24-72 hour time period……more should be done to address that!

• May 31, 2015 at 4:00 pm

Did the bill pass?

• September 6, 2015 at 9:55 pm

Concerned friend, I agree with your post entirely. My 22 year old son has just been diagnosed with bipolar disorder 2 months ago and I’m fighting to get guardianship of him also. I had to forceably admit him twice into a hospital to get him on medication, as he’s In a maniac stage and he financially irresponsible. He has racked up thousands of dollars in debt and he refuses to come home from college. He failed all his classes last semester and he enrolled for school in the fall against his psychiatrist recommendation. The attorney ad litem for my son, states since she can’t contact him and he won’t come to court, the judge won’t grant me guardianship. Is this true!?????

• March 1, 2016 at 6:04 pm

I have an adult son with three children 18 17 10. He knows right from wrong but more at a teenage level. My husband has stood by is through thick and thin we have done 90% of the caretaking of his children. He has become worse latley with the afdition of a girlfriend he met at rehab facility he visits every day now while my husband was taking everyone to work because we are having a snow storm that is going to be 10 inches he took off with the 10 year old and we don’t know where we are so we have no idea where he went or how but are worried what do we do

• May 8, 2017 at 2:27 pm

My problem is my daughter was stuck down when she was in 25 as a parent I not allowed to know what her mental diagnosis is. I had to call the the authorities twice and had her in the emergency room. she has lived on the streets.she lives with me now and is getting worse. I don’t have the to money support myself I am a disabled veteran I suffer from PTSD . I cant get my daughter to even go to get her social security card and id so i can get here on social security to get her the help. its a fight if I bring it up. tax breaks are great,but are useless if an adult child will not get help. my daughter goes out side and picks grass and and other plants she sleeps all day and is up all night fighting and talking to whoever is in her mind.she does thing that a very dangerous for her heath.she does not even know im here mother at times refers to me as her aunt.if i cant get her help I have no choice but to put her out of my home or im going homeless.

• October 12, 2017 at 8:17 pm

My daughter’s family is homeless and lives with us. I am in poor health and on a fixed income. Because of my son-inlaws poor work history and arrests no one will rent to them. My daughter is mentally ill and has a one year old baby. She doesn’t think she needs help but talks to and takes instructions from unseen people, flies into rages and attacks everyone, and sings really loud all day. We have called the police numerous times but they say they cannot do anything unless she is a danger to herself and others. She was arrested once for attacking a policeman, then let out of jail. There is no 72 hour mental check, the police say they can’t do that. Family services cannot help her unless she asks for help and signs in. We can they help for her, she won’t get help as she thinks she is fine. Any ideas as far as I can tell we have a dead end. No help, no chance of help, a mentally ill daughter with a continuous illness. We can’t live with her, we can’t put her on the street, we can’t get help, we can’t afford her, and we’re getting older and can’t take care of children. Talk about crazy. Now the crazy run(ruin) the lives of the sane.

• October 30, 2017 at 1:34 pm

I have a 24 year old son who has been on meds for 4 years and decided not to take his meds . I was in denial of his disease until he went into crisis . He signed a form that states that I am not allowed to know about his care. Right now he is in a behavioral facility being treated but basically I do not know what is going on and what are their discharge plan or even if he is taking medication or not. I already research about guardianship and I do not have the money to pay for one. Please advise me on what are the steps I have to take to try and help him .As a parent I felt helpless . I do not want him to be discharge without medication.

• November 24, 2017 at 7:17 pm

My son is 32 yrs old and developed psychosis he wont stay on his medications. It breaks my heart when he gets so sick and paranoid that he cries with such a heavy heart. His wife left him and many times he cannot visit with his children because he is off his medications and I cannot allow his small children to see him this way. This is 5 years now.. and many trips to the emergency department along with the constant arguing to get him back on his medications. When he gets sick I cant sleep for day due to worry. Because his behavior (non violent but disruptive) I worry someone is going to hurt him. I have been up for days… I am a supportive parent and when he needs and is ready to accept medical intervention I go with him to the hospital – he never gets admitted, because he is not at risk of harming himself or others. Just sick and confused and scared… I have no idea what to do.. many tell me to walk away and force him to accept on his own he needs his medications. I just cant do it and I am not sure what is the right thing to do anymore. He needs support but where we live with a public health care system and expensive anti psychosis medications .. I feel I have no where to turn.. any suggestion what I should do when he goes off his medications and gets sick.. I am stressed and worried about him.

• February 19, 2018 at 8:23 am

My 23 year old son was diagnosed with schizophrenia last year…finally. I’ve suspected this to be the case for many years, but none of the doctors, psychologists, therapists, well being coaches,etc. agreed to my thoughts as a mother living with and experiencing his anguish since he was a young boy! Who knows their child better than the mother? Anyway, I took him to the Amen Clinic for a brain spec scan, and his entire brain lit up. Apparently we only use a small portion of our brain, so this indicated to the dr. that my son my have toxic black mold exposure, and suggested I invest $700 in a urine test (not covered by insurance) to find out if this was the cause of his psychotic behavior. The results came back positive, and he was prescibed Modifilan, brown seaweed extract which pulls toxins like black mold out of the body. Toxic black mold wreaks havoc on the brain, and will not leave the body on its own. He didn’t mind taking the Modifilan and said it made him feel better. I also took him to a holistic healer to have any additional toxins identified with a Zyto body reading, and we are in the process of removing environmental toxins from hid body. He has improved greatly, and is not on any medication other than medical marijuana which works like a charm! I do believe though, that hr now has a bit of brain damage from the length of timr that the mold occupied his brain. I figure one day at a time, a healthy diet,and lots of discussions with him, which i haven’t been able to do for years. I hope my message and experience will help someone here….

• February 19, 2018 at 8:35 am

Some folks, like my son, are highly sensitive to toxins, and therefore develop brain illnesses. I find it odd or irresponsible for physicians in this day and age not to consider environmental toxins as a probable cause for psychosis, and rather than pushing pills they need to take a holistic approach, and a Zyto body scan should be the first thing being accomplished when a person shows signs if any psychotic behavior. I have spent thousands of dollars and I still owe thousands of dollars for my sons illness going improperly treated throughout the years, and my biggest issue is all the wasted years of his life being lost in his own mind. It’s unfair. He could easily be in jail today, or dead without ever knowing what was behind his mental illness. All of these school shooters may be suffering from toxic black mold exposure as well? It’s in the schools they attend, or in their homes. And really, a person only needs to be in the vacinity of this toxin, breathe it in once, and it stays there forever until made to exit the body…holistically!!!

• May 7, 2019 at 1:15 am

Thank you for posting about the mold. Many times this is a toot cause for mental issues. I hope your son is better now.

Lyme disease is a trigger for misdiagnosed mental issues too. Be aware people!!!! That’s what it ended up being for our adult son. Doctors suck at getting to the root cause!