12 thoughts on “Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) Skills Groups: An Overview

• April 23, 2010 at 8:40 pm

Dear Christy:

Great job on the blog! Keep up the fantastic work.

I’d love to hear a little more detail about each of these skills from your perspective.

Linehan’s work is tremendous.

Job well done!

John

• July 4, 2010 at 9:11 am

Very, very interesting!!! I have recently read and article, which describes similar techniques, but it seems more ‘involved’ somehow. Maybe due to the style. Here’s the reference [Journal of Psychotherapy Integration © 2010 American Psychological Association 2010, Vol. 20,
    No. 2, 152–202]. It’s by Dr. Rofe and it’s called RCTN “The Rational-CHoice Theory of Neurosis.” more ‘invovled’ is suppose is how reading about the theory is in itself empowering and strengthens the coping mechanisms. He presents it as solving “theoretical deadlock” in psychology and here’s what i found challenging: he cites clinical research, which is against behaviour, cognivitist ands so on, BUT — for me, i can’t distinguish between what RCTN proposes from what you propose here!! please, would you be of assistance? one last thing, he calls it Rational Insight Therapy. Does that correspond to what you are doing in DBT? Thanks again!!

• July 6, 2010 at 5:39 am

Hi Bob,
      I have to admit that I don’t know much about RCTN. I’ll have to look into it, to answer your question. I do know that DBT views insight as important, but insufficient for behavioral change. DBT views insight as one step in the problem solving process. There’s a wide body of research that supports cognitive behavioral psychology, behavioral psychology and DBT. I’m not sure what research is “against” these treatments, although they are certainly not universal treatments, effective for everyone.

Thanks for your comment. I’ll have to see what I find.

• July 29, 2010 at 6:21 pm

hoping I am on line-anybody out there?have never done this.

• July 29, 2010 at 6:42 pm

what does waiting for moderation mean?

• July 30, 2010 at 6:00 am

It means that the comment goes to the person who writes the blog and that person reads it and approves it to be posted. It is a way of keeping spam out of the comments.

• January 31, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Hi, I’m just curious, is it advisable for a BPD patient currently enrolled in DBT to find a job? It seems to me that keeping onself busy and productive would be more effective than sitting around all day.

• January 31, 2011 at 5:43 pm

It really depends on the individual. Getting a job can make you feel capable and effective and support long term positive feelings. On the other hand, if a job is stressful for you and brings more conflict or emotional fluctuations into your life, it may make most sense to focus on your treatment until you can more skillfully manage the demands of work.

• August 6, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Hi, I would like to get involved in writing my DBT experiences down, chatting, etc; is there an active blog or chat room where I can do that? I really think that this DBT therapy is so practical and do able that it is/will make a big difference in my life. I am presently working, after more than a year, and do feel like it is good for me to be working at a significantly lower stress position while I am in DBT therapy.

• August 6, 2012 at 5:46 pm

I don’t know of any DBT specific chat rooms, although they may exist. You may have already done a google search, but if you locate one, I’d love to hear about it.

• August 20, 2018 at 7:56 pm