8 thoughts on “Dialectical Behavior Therapy: Dialectical Dilemmas & BPD

• April 11, 2010 at 10:56 pm

I am interested in this blog, both as an interning counselor and as a parent of a teen girl who may be BPD. We’re into our 10th month of suicide attempts, blah living, crises, roller coasters, hospitalizations and scary day-in/day-out family life. I look forward to reading this blog as I am am slightly familiar with Marsha’s work and there are limited therapists trained in this field in my area I live in.

• April 12, 2010 at 12:50 pm

DBT resources can be difficult to find depending on where you live. I hope the blog continues to be helpful for you. If you are looking for DBT Treatment in your area, you might try http://www.behavioraltech.com. Under DBT Resources they have a Clinical Resource Directory, which has many of the DBT providers from around the country.

• August 26, 2010 at 6:38 pm

I have been participating in DBT for 2 years & am also starting a 6-month DBT program specializing in eating disorders. I have bipolar 1 disorder & share many of the symptoms of those w/borderline personality disorder. DBT has been incredibly helpful for me. I’ve been able to get off an anti-psychotic medication I’ve been on for 15 years (& needed to be on; it was very helpful & necessary at the time) but I have now developed metabolic syndrome as a side effect & w/the improvement from DBT my meds provider has been amazed & agreed to let me try to get off the anti-psychotic (which I have now been off successfully) & also have lowered dosages of other meds & gotten off some sedating meds as had chronic insomnia previously; DBT mindfulness has helped. I hope to continue DBT indefinitely! It is more like a class than therapy. We have a manual & learn new skills & have homework to do. It has been very focused & helpful for me & I’ve been through many different therapies & therapists w/not much relief until DBT.

These might be helpful:

bphope.com
    http://www.alawebpages.com/webquestbpd (a webquest on borderline personality disorder by Amy Allison)

“Helping Someone You Love Recover From Borderline Personality Disorder”
    “Taking Control of Your Thoughts Workbook”

At your bookstore you can get:
    “Skills Training Manual for Treating Borderline Personality Disorder” by Marsha M. Linehan
    “The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook for Bipolar Disorder–Using DBT to Regain Control of Your Emotions and Your Life” by Sheri Van Dijk, MSW
    “The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook–Practical DBT Exercises for Learning Mindfulness, Interpersonal Effectiveness, Emotion Regulation & Distress Tolerance” by Matthew McKay, PH.D, Jeffrey C. Wood, PSY.D, Jeffrey Brantley, MD
    “Stop Walking on Eggshells” (Taking your life back when someone you care about has borderline personality disorder) by Paul T. Mason, MS, Randi Kreger. This also has a workbook that accompanies it. http://www.BPDCentral.com

There is a DBT book that focuses on eating disorders & it is available at the local bookstore, but it is pretty expensive.

Recovery, Inc. is a self-help group that is recommended if DBT is not available in your area. I went to a Recovery, Inc. group many years ago & it does teach similar skills.

• April 7, 2011 at 11:51 am

Apologies for posting this in the comments, and I would like to subscribe to an RSS feed of the DBT section you have here… I dont see a way to subscribe just to the DBT items though. Am I missing something? Or could I even subscribe via eMail?

Thank you! Found you in looking for ‘apparent competence’ and this whole article is a lot of help in understanding what is going on in my life.

• April 7, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Glad the article was helpful. I’ll check into whether it’s possible to subscribe to a single blog.

• April 8, 2011 at 2:10 pm

The subscribe button is now back up on the left hand side under the categories. Thanks for pointing out that it was missing.

• July 17, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Hello I am 45yrs old and have BPD. I have always known there was something different about me but have only been diagnosed with BPD 2 yrs ago. I have been hoping to find a place where I could express myself and I’m hoping this is the place. I have so much to share. I have been seeing a great phyc. Dr, but feel very alone. I am also a recovering alcoholic(July 15th = 10yrs)but I am missing the connection with people that can really understand what I’m going through. I would like to find a support group if possible.

• January 13, 2016 at 12:55 pm

Hello I’m writing to convey that the apparent competence vs active passivity section feels partially inaccurate. Although the terms used represent the literal content of the book from which they are taken, there is no representation of these behavioral tendencies as dialectical failures or even what that means.
    That active passivity and apparent competence are both means of avoiding the primary dialectic is important because an actively passive persons busyness never engages their problem fully though they are active. Alternatively apparent competence are the truly effective behaviors they manifest in crisis situations but miss the true baseline incompetence the person suffers from. Facing these behaviors is only possible and effective with core mindfulness skills, distress tolerance, and interpersonal effectiveness skills.
    It is importance in describing dialectical failures is that they thrive in emotionally invalidating environments ranging from neglectful to abusive environments. DBT treatment can be an effective means for those suffering these tendencies to be empowered to confront, challenge, change or leave these environments.