6 thoughts on “3 Personality Traits that Increase Stress Levels at Work

• May 29, 2012 at 7:01 am

I recently got a new job at a company I’ve been a full-time volunteer with in the past when I couldn’t find a job, but instead of being hired for the role I’d been filling and was trained for I was hired for a position I had very little experience with and that requires me to use skills I really don’t have. I leave feeling so burned out at the end of the day.

• May 29, 2012 at 9:02 am

Uncertainty and feeling as if you are expected to perform tasks for which you are un qualified or untrained can be some of the biggest contributors to stress at work. Can you approach the situation with optimism that it will improve and search for opportunities to solve these training issues?

• May 29, 2012 at 7:48 am

It is true that personality traits have great impact on stress. But i think, the role of neurotransmitters on levels of stress should not be ignored.

• May 29, 2012 at 8:59 am

Agreed. Understanding the body’s physiological response to stress is also key to understanding how to reduce stress levels.

• May 29, 2012 at 11:57 am

I agree on the role of neurostransmitters.

As far as feeling as though you are in control goes, I think people are deluding themselves when they think they are in control of things like layoffs, etc. If anything, people fail to realize just how little control they have.

Also, it’s easy to be an optimist if you really haven’t experienced many challenges in life, or if everything always falls into place for you. If you encounter one challenge after the other, It’s hard NOT to be pessimistic.

• May 30, 2012 at 8:08 am

I agree that feeling that you have complete control over the world around you is unrealistic and can lead to other problems, such as stubbornly trying to change situations that can’t be changed. However, feeling you have some degree of control over your life– for example, believing that getting a new job after a lay off is dependent on your own persistence, networking and skill at interviewing would make you more likely to try to get a new job, than believing that getting a new job is entirely based on luck. Believing that you may not be able to influence the lay-offs, but you can exert some influence over the opportunities that come your way is less stressful that believing that your life is completely out-of-control.