11 thoughts on “26 Characteristics of Truly Happy People

• February 1, 2019 at 11:17 am

The majority of the traits apply to me.
    However, here’s the twist. I’m Black. And when I am with other Black people (and Whites aren’t around), we might vent at the unfairness of how Blacks are still treated.
    I notice very ew of these forums take into account that there is more than one culture on this planet and that someone can be happy and still complain about being denigrated due to our skin color, sexual orientation, etc.
    When I’m outside the United States, I find I have even more of the traits on the list. What does that say about the “awareness” of this list? Does anyone White ever have to leave the country in order to feel more of these traits. I’m betting not. For all that, I’m the smilingest guy I know, and, actually, notice that my co-workers (mostly White) seem somewhat on the melancholy side. But then, this is New England, home of stoics. And stoics smile a lot less than when I lived in San Francisco (in the OLD days of San Francisco, pre-Internet (1970-19989). People seemed happier than because life was WAY less stressful. And the rents were cheap ($100 for a one bedroom apartment in 1975).
    So, there are other factors, including age, culture of origin, culture of assimilation (i.e., Muslims coming to the United States and finding themselves assaulted at every turn. I feel for them.).
    It’s not as cut and dried as this list suggests.

• February 6, 2019 at 10:08 am

This list is deceptive to say the least. I have yet to meet a human to exhibits all 26 consistently. Without the context that these are helpful traits that lead to feeling more positive, a list of this nature can be very discouraging to people reading and taking at face value. There is a tenancy to create absolutes in language which are impossible to obtain in real life. Truly happy is an extreme, highly subjective and not measurable state of human existence. In my opinion this article can do far more damage than good.

• February 6, 2019 at 10:52 am

Thank you for your feedback, Lee. You’re correct that nobody exhibits all of these characteristics all of the time, and that people can be happy without doing so.

• February 6, 2019 at 12:58 pm

I have PTSD, Bipolar, ADD, Fibromyalgia, and RA. While I have some of these traits and always seek to improve as a person, it feels like I’m looking at a list of the things I will never be.
    The items here seem to describe a person from fiction books or television.
    If I have ever met a person like this then I probably could Not be their friend because I would not identify with them or I would feel that they were putting on a show, lacking in sincerity or experience.
    When I clicked on the link I was hoping for tips to take away, but I feel sad that I will never be the person this describes.

• February 8, 2019 at 1:18 am

Hi Sarah,

I believe that this article is misleading – no one person on the planet has all of these characteristics. I think that Rachel was possibly trying to communicate that people who are ‘healthy’ (not necessarily happy – because no one is happy all of the time that’s ludicrous) will show some or a good handful of those particular characteristics. I don’t believe that the article was written very well to explain that. The list is accurate – and mentally/emotionally healthy people do exhibit those characteristics – just not all of them in one person as that is impossible, extreme and an unrealistic expectation to have on one human. No one will ever need you to live up to those expectations because it’s impossible – so don’t even try. All you can ever do is the best you personally can every single day. As for the list – it’s a good list and they are good practices. Maybe work on one part of the list every week like truly smiling more to the point where your entire body feels it- inside and out and smile about anything in your life that makes you happy. I still practice that. Perhaps one week really try to gather the energy to feel real enthusiasm about a friend’s accomplishment’s and really try to support them if you can – being in chronic pain all of the time – these things can be so hard on the energy meter! I’ve found that by practicing these things on my own and by watching and learning from others who have good healthy habits/traits – I have changed my bad habits into good ones and in turn changed my bad energy in to more positive energy over time. I hope this helps. πŸ˜€ <3

• February 8, 2019 at 6:34 pm

Thank You Jaime πŸ™‚ I appreciate the balanced viewpoint you gave. It helped me to look at this as a group of suggestions, instead of a list I need to completely check off. Much Appreciated!

• February 8, 2019 at 1:02 am

I agree with Sarah and Lee on this – I think that the way this article is written is misleading, potentially damaging and even the title is completely geared for clickbait. I understand what you are trying to do here, Rachel but nobody on this planet is “truly happy”. There may be people who have times where they feel happiness or content with their life or feel more joy on certain occasions than others but life isn’t about the pursuit of and achieving ultimate happiness and staying there. That ideal in itself is a falsehood. I think that for those who don’t understand that – especially people who suffer from serious depression will see this as a checklist of extremes and wonder where are all of ‘these’ people and how on earth could one possibly relate to someone like this? I think this list of characteristics should have been delivered with an explanation that one might find perhaps 6-8 things occurring in people with a healthy sense of life and who they are – but nobody would possibly have ALL 26 characteristics as that would be impossible and a seriously unrealistic expectation on any human. This article, while i’m sure was written with good intentions still needs work and I believe is going to upset and damage more emotionally depressed and sensitive people who aren’t going to bother writing back to you than those who do.

• February 8, 2019 at 10:31 am

I fit this list, and while I have not had a perfect life I had a great beginning. I think infancy/toddlerhood is very key to these attitudinal set points and internal certainties.

I have experienced three large traumas in my life, so I can identify with people who have a much harder time feeling happy, as there have been times where I was temporarily felled, and yet I have recovered and I remain basically buoyant and optimistic.

Sarah, if your experiences have “told” you about a much darker “reality” it might be hard to believe anyone could be optimistic and not fake. But if THEIR early life experiences were more positive, they could sincerely have a different picture of “reality” that is more positive.

• February 8, 2019 at 1:37 pm

I do not think all of these traits are all found in any one person. It is that they are trait so aspire towards. They are all good for reflection to see where we may improve.

• February 10, 2019 at 12:02 am

It looks to me that, after reading these comments, the majority here aren’t happy.

• February 16, 2019 at 8:42 am

If I got more sleep I’d be perfect, lol.
    Instead of letting the list overwhelm you, the trick is to work on one or two at a time, choosing only the ones you feel comfortable with. Give yourself plenty of time and know your limitations. Never believe you can perfect the entire list, as none of us are saints! Good luck and God bless.