17 thoughts on “Lessons From The Happiest Man on Earth

• June 26, 2013 at 10:33 am

Good article, Ricard’s story is very inspiring. But please, it’s not “gamma rays” (radiation), it’s “gamma waves” (neural oscillation).

• June 26, 2013 at 10:35 am

I think the author meant “gamma waves” not gamma rays. Pretty serious difference. Gamma rays emanating from your skull would have a detrimental effect on you and the people around you.

• June 26, 2013 at 11:03 am

George and Bobby, thank you for catching that mistake — I’ve made the appropriate edit. Definitely not gamma rays!

• June 26, 2013 at 11:29 am

Thanks Rachel. Didn’t mean to nitpick on that one detail. I’m more interested in the important lessons from Ricard’s experience, such as the idea that it doesn’t help to suppress our anger (which just shoves it underground where it turns into a time bomb) but rather to see and understand our anger more clearly. As well as the idea that “happiness” is not the same as “pleasant experiences” (which we know are temporary, and thus don’t really make us all that happy). Ricard says these lessons take a long time (and considerable work) for most of us to integrate into our lives.

• June 26, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Some people are lucky and are born happy but others like myself are made miserable by the actions of others through social isolation, just don’t like my face etc. If you are lucky to be born into a circle of friends, then you have got of to a good start.

• June 26, 2013 at 6:45 pm

Paul I think you missed the point. If you are socially isolated, its because you choose to be socially isolated. You’re in control of how you respond to situations and as long as you continue to blame others for your unhappiness and your reactions in life then you will never be truly happy. Happiness comes from having the ability to own the situation, say yes this situation is not ideal, I will allow myself to have these feelings but I’m not going to let it dictate who I am and what I do. I’ll make the best out of this situation and create my own luck instead of relying on external influences to make me happy.

• June 28, 2013 at 10:01 am

You are wrong because I have aspergers sydrome.

• June 27, 2013 at 1:57 am

Paul that sounds like depression talking. I know from personal experience what it can be like. It can seem quite hopeless at times. But there are many ways to help with that.

• July 1, 2013 at 2:49 am

Hello Paul,

You can read & understand this article, and have posted a comment and replied to one. How would it be in you could have put a positive spin to it? Maybe add a smiley and you never know where that may take you in the space of happiness.

Instead of writing it can’t be done, write, if it could be possible, where will it lead?

All the best,
      G

• June 27, 2013 at 1:22 am

The topic is good like meditation will help.
    But sometimes life is too complicated and miserable.
    And all are not lucky enough to have good support.
    we are just humans not super beings that would not
    get affected by the surroundings.
    Its true inner happiness counts but we cannot deny outer happiness is also important.
    If I say I am not affected by how bad situation me in, then I am liar.
    All I feel is for some extent it will help to balance our emotions but not that it will make us super beings we will not get affected by any sorrows. Or else what difference it would be from us and robots…

• June 27, 2013 at 11:17 am

The article explains how to reach happiness after becoming skilled in the art of mindfulness. I’m not sure that this is an easy task, although obviously it is very important. Also, the scientist seems to be both brilliant and successful, which brings its own level of happiness in life.

Most of us who are seeking answers on psych central are suffering from depression. I can empathize with Paul because I have not yet learned to enjoy socializing with other people who I am not close to and say little aside from chatter about celebrities or gossip about coworkers. I know it is important to go out and find a social group that fits me well, but I don’t have the energy yet for that task.

• June 7, 2016 at 1:47 pm

Thanks for your comment, Zelda. Yes, talking with others about seemingly trivial topics can often feel draining or pointless, although sometimes bonding does take place during such conversations. Perhaps you could join a group of people with similar interests, such as books, movies, or hiking, so you can connect over topics you find meaningful. Meetup.com or volunteermatch.com are good places to start.

• June 28, 2013 at 2:48 am

brilliant ideas. difficult to implement

• July 1, 2013 at 5:40 am

visited the site again to read this

• August 14, 2013 at 10:38 am

It’s really amazing how meditation helps a lot. It takes whole lot of discipline and sincere reflections of life lessons too. Glad Ricard have shared his secrets though πŸ™‚

• November 18, 2013 at 2:46 am

Good and logical writing, I appreciate that. What I had learned about inner and outer type of happiness is and how could we carry on these emotions on our body with available environs are not constant. I believe that having sorrows are also good for your body and having happiness is also a good process of our life. This a mix kind of cycle. Prayers to one GOD concept is not a jock. Believe me, If anyone of us do prayers with this having in mind that there is only one GOD of this universe and he also has created humans for HIS worship, you could find a real happiness. In other words, you have graped a rope which will lead you straight to the inner and outer happiness. I am enjoying. Its like I have seen the GOD and he listens me and is with me all the time. Great