8 thoughts on “Research: Creativity and Calm are Leading Benefits of Crochet

• October 1, 2018 at 4:13 pm

I love to crochet for all the benefits mentioned! I will share this with a Yarn Buddies group in which I have been a participant. Most of them knit, but I believe the same benefits apply.

Thank you!

• October 1, 2018 at 4:15 pm

Thanks! Many of the benefits of knitting are the same as those for crochet. Stitchlinks has a website that reports on a lot of knitting-specific research. I think many of crochet’s benefits are true across lots of other crafts as well, not just fiber arts, which is an area that I’m currently researching.

• October 1, 2018 at 6:20 pm

What about knitting? More men knit than crochet, you could get a wider variety of responses, and knitting is slightly more innovative. ( Hope I didn’t offend anyone), so you you learn more in that situation too.

• October 1, 2018 at 6:44 pm

These particular studies were unique to crochet. However, there is definitely a lot of great research about the health benefits of knitting. Some studies have found that the two have similar benefits, and I’d argue that most of these benefits probably apply to other crafts as well.

• January 14, 2019 at 10:40 am

What a wonderfully inspiring article! I just caught on to crocheting in August 2018. It has unlocked creativity that I never knew was in me. It is slightly addictive, though! I’m so glad to see that there really are immense benefits to this craft. Thank you for sharing. Now — off to more crocheting!

• January 15, 2019 at 5:29 pm

Thank you! I’m so happy for you that you’ve discovered this craft and that it’s helping you in creative ways. If you ever want to share your story through an email interview, I’d love to know more!

• January 15, 2019 at 7:08 pm

I’d love to!

• March 26, 2019 at 9:56 am

I miss being able to crochet due to thumb issues. At least I can still knit.
    Both of these skills have helped me over the years when I’ve been stressed or struggling