12 thoughts on “Knitting Heals: Interview with a Stroke Survivor

• May 17, 2019 at 9:27 am

Thank you for the opportunity to encourage others to continue knitting and crocheting after life changing events. It is difficult to restart at first, but if I can do it, anyone can!
    Rebecca

• May 20, 2019 at 3:05 pm

Thank you again for sharing your experience with us.

• May 17, 2019 at 12:50 pm

I had a stroke 4 years ago that affected my left side. I still have very limited use of my left hand. But I continue to keep trying. Knitting and needlepoint are too important for me to give up. They are my joy and my therapy. Thank you for sharing! You give me hope!

• May 20, 2019 at 3:05 pm

Thanks for commenting! I would love to know even more about how crafting has helped therapeutically as you recover. I’m so glad that you are keeping at it despite the challenges.

• May 23, 2019 at 9:26 am

Thank you for asking. The feel of the yarn and the lovely colors help me stay positive. The persistence it takes to keep trying helps me develop patience. My roommate in rehab wisely told me not to allow myself to get angry when I couldn’t do things but to take my time and keep trying. I still have trouble transferring pattern instructions from paper to my hands but it is getting better. Slow and steady does win the race!

• May 23, 2019 at 10:36 am

I have written elsewhere about attending to each of the five senses as you craft in order to induce mindfulness and increase health benefits. The visual element of the colors and the texture of the yarn are two key components of that for knitters and crocheters.

• May 19, 2019 at 11:56 am

Immediately when starting to read this account, I started crying. No one interviewed me!! (half of a laugh here) After a stroke more than ten years ago, one of the first things I did was to return to knitting! I went to a Starbucks not too far from where my daughter’s house when I was staying with her, it was to meet up with other stitchers every week. I didn’t have physical limitations but I was in shock when I couldn’t count by twos when I wanted to count the stitches for cast on. Still, I did manage it and re-learned it.

Since then, I started meeting with a group at the local cancer center when I was going through radiation treatment after a second diagnosis of breast cancer. My appointments were schedules so I wouldn’t miss the group! I’m still going after five years! I can’t. I just can’t stand to miss that group without a damn good reason. It is my therapy.

These days, my knitting is better but I still have trouble with counting and doing some lace patterns but I’ll survive.

• May 20, 2019 at 3:04 pm

I would love to interview if you have more to share, particularly about the mental health benefits you’ve experienced! I’m so glad that you shared this comment and so glad for you that you were able to find that therapeutic group to help you in your journey.

• May 21, 2019 at 1:58 pm

It would be another therapeutic thing to do an interview and hope that others could benefit. You might even call me an “knitting evangelist”.

• June 6, 2019 at 3:26 pm

This was great to read as it was Knitting that also helped me regain control in my right hand after I had a mild stroke a few years back. I found it quite difficult to start knitting again, even holding certain items was a task. I just kept at it an eventually I was able to regain most of my dexterity in my right hand, not all but it’s much much improved due to knitting.

• June 6, 2019 at 7:24 pm

This is great to read as it was Knitting that also helped me regain control in my right hand after I had a mild stroke a few years back. I found it quite difficult to start knitting again; even holding certain items was a task. I just kept at it an eventually I was able to regain most of my dexterity in my right hand, not all but it’s much much improved due to knitting.

• November 5, 2019 at 10:18 pm

ReLearned how to Crochet after my Stroke 5 yrs ago from my Occupational Therapist … and haven’t stopped Crocheting Daily Since … Now I even Sell what I Make

The discussion section is closed to new comments for this blog.