Are you ready for a great week?
Courage on a Monday morning can be hard to find as you sip your coffee, check emails, shuttle the kids to school and think about all of the tasks ahead for the week. We can find inspiration anywhere and quotes are a great place to start. Quotes tend to get a bit of a bad rap but, in fact, surrounding ourselves with positive statements actually does help influence our mindset. We can find a sense of hope, encouragement and inner strength when we come across material that speaks to us in a meaningful way.
I hope at least a couple of the following quotes speak to you in a powerful way to start your week strong!
- “The secret to happiness is freedom. The secret to freedom is courage.”~ Thucydides
- “Vulnerability sounds like truth and feels like courage. Truth and courage aren’t always comfortable, but they’re never weaknesses.” ~ Brene Brown
- “Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts.” ~ Winston Churchill
- “You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, ‘I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.'” ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
- “I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ~ Nelson Mandela
- “One isn’t necessarily born with courage, but one is born with potential. Without courage, we cannot practice any other virtue with consistency. We can’t be kind, true, merciful, generous or honest.” ~ Maya Angelou
- “Courage is grace under pressure.” ~ Ernest Hemingway
- “Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy.” ~ Dale Carnegie
- “Courage starts with showing up and letting ourselves be seen.” ~ Brene Brown
- “Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma, which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice and, most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition.” ~ Steve Jobs
- “You cannot swim for new horizons until you have courage to lose sight of the shore.” ~ William Faulkner
- “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage.” ~ Anais Nin
- “I have accepted fear as part of life, specifically the fear of change… I have gone ahead despite the pounding in the heart that says: turn back…” ~ Erica Jong
- “Whatever you do, you need courage. Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising that tempt you to believe your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires some of the same courage that a soldier needs.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “My great hope is to laugh as much as I cry; to get my work done and try to love somebody and have the courage to accept the love in return.” ~ Maya Angelou
- “Believe in yourself. You are braver than you think, more talented than you know, and capable of more than you can imagine.” ~ Roy T. Bennett
- “Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I’ll try again tomorrow.” ~ Mary Anne Radmacher
Select just one of these quotes to focus your mindset on for the day. When we set our mind we are intentionally creating a direction for our decision making and behaviors to follow. You may not realize it, but doing that takes courage, too.
How often do we simply “not feel like it” and allow circumstance or other people to influence our decision making? Taking time to set our minds on something positive and meaningful is an element of caring for ourselves and can influence our productivity, our sense of self and our connections with others in wonderful and surprising ways.