15 thoughts on “Anatomy Of A Downsizing ~ The Countdown…

• July 18, 2010 at 9:30 am

Hello Sandy,

I love the single bright colour for each dish … that is such a breath of fresh air.

Mount Stuff – a great analogy to remember your home.

The chaos is almost over, and yet, new chaos is waiting to begin.

I suggest the movie “Up” … Mikey and I watched it yesterday with a student here. It had been recommended to her, and she wanted to know what the French was in it. I hope you can find time to watch it.

Take care, until next Skype

• July 18, 2010 at 12:41 pm

Yes, Soni~

“Mount Stuff” is taking over the house. You should see the “Fragile Hill” in my family room. Red stickers shouting “Fragile” on every box. Lovely. Surrounded by suitcases filled with pillows.

If we can find “Up”… it sounds like a good bet, though curiously, after our Skype yesterday, your voice has been ringing in my ears. You are filled with such promise and such insights and such integrity. I simply live for our conversations, even if we cannot see each other. I hear so well on Skype.

Today, the Internet man is coming. And as Rona said, “may the phone/Internet guys show up on time.” So I am hoping we can continue our one hour and 48 hour Toronto-to-China sessions.

Thank you for commenting and christening my “Mount Stuff” ~ I have no idea what I will do with it, when it arrives. Should be interesting.

Will be keeping you posted. Literally.

Hugs and stay tuned, dear friend.
      xox
      s

• July 18, 2010 at 9:43 am

Nearly three years after a massive downsizing, I’m still letting go of stuff that never should have been packed. Amazing how little I actually need. Goog luck with your
    move. May the phone/Internet guys show up on time.

• July 18, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Hi, Rona ~

It always delights me to hear from you. Your friendship and support is and always will be a beacon of my writing career and my recovery. I remember your “massive downsizing” and the glorious house you moved from. And you’re prescient. I know this is going to be the case with me, though I’ve let go of stuff that never saw the light of day from my last move. Especially clothes.

I had better stay at my current size, or I’ll be in big trouble.

Thank you for your good wishes and I have a feeling things will be smooth. As smooth as any move can be. And it’s a new beginning. I love beginnings.

Sending hugs and happy “letting go…”
      xox
      s

• July 18, 2010 at 8:20 pm

i am starting my own moving process soon, so i can empathize. i also think i might find it a bit easier, as you have lived in one happy place for ten years – in that same span of time, i have moved 15 times! i actually just sat and counted it all up. wow. that’s a lot. so, i’m used to throwing things away and being ruthless with my ‘stuff’. and this time will be no exception!

but enough about me – just wanted to say hello, and remind you – your mount stuff will gradually un-mount itself, just as it formed in the first place. one box at a time – which is all any of us can do in life anyway, isn’t it?

• July 18, 2010 at 9:40 pm

Julie,

You are resilience personified. I am utterly amazed at your series of moves in such a short period of time. What a skill. But ultimately, you are so right.

One-box-at-a time… that’s my new mantra, thank you very much. I hope your imminent move goes smoothly, dear friend. It’s always a joy to hear from you and I’ll be keeping you posted.

The two members of our family who seem to be more discombobulated than either Marty or me are Riley and Lucy. She has taken to hiding behind a chair in the family room. He is sticking closer to me than usual ~ when he can find a space on the floor.

Good luck. I’m enjoying the winnowing away of all this stuff. It’s just I can not seem to find anything anymore. That’s the difficult part. But, it’s getting better, I know it.

Hugs to you, dearheart.
      xox
      s.

• July 18, 2010 at 11:21 pm

Hi, Sandy,

Isn’t it amazing how well a house will hide our stuff? I always tell people that we don’t have enough stuff to hold a garage sale. My husband clears out things constantly and if I don’t keep an eye on things I’m afraid something precious might go to the dump. But, the up side to this is that we have far less clutter. We are not bare bones about it, but lighter. When we were technically homeless we carried everything we owned in the back of our small S-10 pickup truck. We can’t do that now and I much prefer to have a home than to be drifting from place to place every few months. The most difficult time for me was moving out of an apartment and onto the couch at my friend’s house for about 3 weeks. That was tough, really tough. So, chin up, as the saying goes “It’s all good.” You are experiencing a cleansing of the soul in a way. By removing the clutter you may experience a lightening of spirit, when all is said and done of course.

• July 21, 2010 at 7:25 am

Sheila,

This is an exquisite comment. You must keep writing. You have a gift.

Though, I’m saddened to read of your bouts of homelessness, I can empathize with its freedoms.

You are right about the “cleansing”… and so much of my “stuff” is finding a new home in my sister’s cottage. Much of it is stuff I inherited from our family cottage when it was sold several years ago. I’m happy to see this stuff go. To know I’ll have less and that I can unpack it slowly at my leisure. Organize my kitchen the way I want to and put things away with care. Last time, it was such a different story. It was so rushed. I was so frantic. This time, I’m going to take my time.

“One-Box-At-A-Time”…

Sending love and regret about losing my garden. But, I’ll have other opportunities to garden at my new house. And this time I want a perennial garden. What do you think? I want tulips and daffodils in the spring. Do you think that’s possible?

Sending love and compassion,
      xox
      s

I

• July 19, 2010 at 11:22 am

yes, it’s a lot of moves. quite a few of those were back and forth from university. it’s a lot of work but the good thing about moving so often is you go through all your ‘stuff’ a lot. i’m also lucky in that i have a lot of space at my parents house in which to store all my ‘stuff’ that won’t fit wherever i’m living!

so one box at a time. that’s how it gets done!

• July 20, 2010 at 10:35 am

Hey Sandy,
    You have my empathy. …My sister and I just packed my aunt’s Condo for her move to a Senior’s Home…so much stuff in such a small place.
    My 17-year-old loves reading…We’d love to come to a book sale. He’s looking for Animal Farm, psych books and …he reads everything.
    Hope the rest of the week is not too stressful.
    m

• July 21, 2010 at 7:13 am

Hi, Ruth ~

Thank you for your kind thoughts and wishes. I will call. Promise. I have thought of you, too, over the last few months, and I apologize for not writing. You are so sweet. We will re-connnect. Soon. And I will be seeing you in February when I speak to your group in Durham. Yes, I was confirmed, finally. It will be such fun.

Sending hugs and affection,
      sln

• July 21, 2010 at 7:19 am

Hi, Marci~

Your empathy feels wonderful. Thank you, dear friend.

I wish I had known earlier of your son’s passion for reading. We have given so many books to Goodwill and I believe Animal Farm was one of them. Or maybe it’s still in our collection and buried in “Mount Stuff.” Last night my sister and her partner came over and we had a packing spree. Now, my kitchen cupboards are bare. Just the fridge and some pots left to go. I still have the bathroom, my bedroom and the rest of my office to pack up. But we’re getting there. It’s getting better, though. I’m going to post about it.

Hugs and we, too, must re-connect.
      Remember my Mississauga dentist appointments.
      xox
      s

• July 20, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Hi Sandy,
    Hang in there; you’re almost through this!Thinking of you and looking forward to reconnecting when you can.
    xo Ruth

• July 21, 2010 at 10:48 pm

Home today from a few days at a friend’s cottage to find a friend of my partner had partially reorganized the kitchen while she was out and not “quite” succeeded at restoring it when she explained how annoyed I’d be. The nerve to rearrange someone’s kitchen without asking! So it felt like I’d moved. Have only partially put it right…but that brings me to my suggestion from my frequent move days.

Keep in mind as you complete the kitchen packing, to have one box with what you need the first morning in the new place. it was the coffee “fixings”, cereal stuff, etc. Mugs, bowls, the minimum necessities.

Hence its name: the breakfast box. All else could wait ’til I found the right box but I needed breakfast.

Keep track of that box. no adding it to the Mount.
    No giving it to the movers. It goes with you. Best of luck.

• July 22, 2010 at 6:22 am

Jemo,

I love this idea and we’re going to do it. I thanked you in my post that just went up. You are wonderful.

Hugs,