9 thoughts on “Mucking About with Mother Earth…(a.k.a. Sheila)

• June 5, 2010 at 9:57 am

Good to hear the planting went well! Now I feel more motivated to get my own flower garden planted.
    Hope your toe heals up soon.

• June 5, 2010 at 10:27 am

Hi, Sandy,

Not good news about your toe – ouch! Hope it heals quickly.
    Have you begun to notice any changes in your new plants yet? A new little flower beginning to blossom? New green growth shooting forth? It generally takes about a week – now if it would stop raining long enough for the sun to come out and do it’s part in the master plan of making those planters pretty we’d be all set.
    I’m glad you have made a connection with your garden – they are your new babies now – you got your hands dirty for them – the ultimate sacrifice, I hope they show their appreciation soon.

• June 5, 2010 at 12:51 pm

Hi, Sallyo…

Yes, the planting went very well and every morning, I run to my bedroom window to see how my little barrels of begonias are doing in the back yard. Then, downstairs to peek at my petunias.

This morning, my sister Glorianne came over. She has the greenest thumb of anyone I know and she gave me her stamp of approval.

As for my toe, I still cannot wear a shoe, but I hope the Keflex starts to kick in soon. The doctor said it will take at least 24 to 48 hours. It’s just been a little over 24 hours, and the heavy throbbing seems to have subsided.

Last night, I got into bed and I felt my heart beat through my right toe. Weird.

My mother suggested an epsom salt bath, which I plan to do. Right now, the redness and swelling is startling, but I like red. It’s one of my favourite colours.

You have to look at the bright side. Right?

Hugs to you for your kindness and thoughtfulness.

Speak soon and I’m so happy you’re with us here at this community of ours. You have so much to add.

xoxo
    s

• June 5, 2010 at 1:02 pm

Hi, dearest Sheila…

Things are blooming. I’m dead-heading the petunias in the front and they seem happy. Everyone seems happy. I haven’t watered because we seem to get so much rain. I did stick my finger into one of the boxes out front and it was still damp. It may rain tonight and there’s a 60% forecast for showers tomorrow.

On Monday, if it doesn’t rain, everyone is getting a drink. Trust me.

The shed has been painted white so the backyard looks lovely and all my packing and decluttering is finished.

Today, I’m resting.

As for connecting with my babies. I love them. I cannot go into the house without a careful inspection.

It’s rather curious to feel maternal for my new flowers, but I do. All the energy I may have put into children is now going into my dogs and my flowers.

As for my hands, well, I’m going to give them a little attention today as they’re bone dry and rough. I have some cream and a manicure set. I suspect my toe became infected after a pedicure.

Must be very careful.

Your garden is glorious. You say it’s neglected???

If that’s neglect, give me a touch of neglect anytime.

Must run, now. I was up at 6:15 a.m. and I’m going to luxuriate with a nap.

Hugs and affection… profound thanks and awe, “Mother Earth” … you’re remarkable. Revel in your day.
    xox
    s

• June 6, 2010 at 9:23 am

Did you have a wound or scratch while planting? Soil contains some bacteria, usually not dangerous at all but if you are stressed out and has a tanked immune system, then it can be a bit risky. At least you’ll remember the visit to the plant nursery ;).

When I was in university I moved 7 times in 8 years. At one time, I considered throwing out everything out the window and whatever landed and was in any kind of fair condition could come along to the next place. Now I’ve lived in this place for the past 8 years.
    I’ve lived in tiny places, in dorms, in studios, in tiny tiny places. Our current place, a one bedroom apartment (condo) at the size of 60 square metres fits our needs. Moving is such a pain in the rear no matter what. Have you hired a moving firm? THAT was the best investment I ever made. Just make sure that they have proper insurance.

• June 6, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Hi, Jessika…

Right now, we don’t know where we’re moving to… all we want to do is sell our house. That is a major undertaking. All the stuff. In time, when we move, we’ll hire someone to help us. I am grateful for your thoughtful comment.

As for my foot, this is not the first time it’s become infected, but by far the worst. It’s starting to get better, though.

I am not one for change. This is a major adventure. I’m just taking one day at a time and trying to stay positive. While cleaning, cleaning, cleaning.

Many thanks and I really love all your comments to this sight. BTW, my garden, now that the sun is finally shining, is beginning to look cute. I’ll take some pictures and put them on my blog!

Hugs,
      sln

• June 6, 2010 at 1:48 pm

Hi Sandy!

Good to be back in touch 🙂
    Since we last spoke over e-mail, I discovered the same thing…I LOVE digging my hands in the Earth. It wasn’t something I ever would have thought I would like either – I think because my parents always made it seem like such a labourous chore when I was a kid.
    A family of birds – you can still hear the babies cheeping away – moved into a little hole above our patio, and I think they inspired me to do it – I created a garden on the porch that grew from a few potted plants, to a big creative project – I call it the Magick Garden now; I have pictures on my blog in the new section called “Magick Garden”. I fell in love with the soil – it made me feel not only more connected with the Earth, but more human – if that makes any sense, it’s hard to explain the exact feeling.
    I bought about 20 more pots (at least!), and also acquired some that were dumped in back lanes behind the really big houses around here that have amazing gardens, hehe, and 20 different kinds of seed; mostly flowers but a few edibles as well. I’m kind of sad that the digging phase is over! Of course, it’s much fun to watch everything grow – but we’ve only had one sunny day in three weeks here in Vancouver, no word of a lie! The rain saved me a lot of time watering, but sun now please!!
    Anyhow, magic does happen in the garden…it’s amazing, the positive energy that radiates from it – instead of a concrete box, we have a little ecosystem out there. The cats no longer jump on the balcony rail because there’s so much to smell and look at, and something about sitting with the plants inspires a stillness in me.

Do you know Vancouver well? There’s a store way too close to where I live called “Figaro’s Garden” – I am not allowed in there with my credit card anymore (I placed this restriction on myself)!

I should get going – I had to defer two final papers from last semester because of my physical illness/emergency surgery, and the last one is due tomorrow – I CANNOT WAIT to be done…but I must finish it first LOL.

…and I ditto Jessika on hiring movers – it actually isn’t very much more expensive than renting U-Haul trucks these days, and I’ve had two very positive experiences with two different companies – nothing got damaged at all, and I could hardly believe the speed at which the workers moved the furniture – what would have taken me and some strong male volunteers a couple of days only took a couple of hours! They charge by the hour, but they move *FAST*. You should also check to see if “Frogbox” has opened in Toronto yet – they give you big green plastic boxes that snap shut for you to pack everything in, and then pick them up from your new place when you’re done! Much better than cardboard and packing tape…I cannot use the stuff in a “smooth” manner to save my life.

Talk soon and take care!
    scars xoxo

• June 6, 2010 at 1:52 pm

ps – thanks for letting me know the new site address – I’ve updated my blogroll 😉

• June 6, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Good.
      I’m watching the development of your new web site, too. Neat art.

Good luck,