11 thoughts on “Fear of Flowers ~ Part One

• June 2, 2010 at 9:31 am

i knew we were alike in more ways than one. my parents are huge gardeners, as are some of my friends. me, not so much. i can appreciate a nice-looking garden, but i certainly have no interest or desire to create one myself. and i don’t think i ever will!

• June 2, 2010 at 9:44 am

Hi, Julie,

I won’t give away what happened. No clues. You’ll read about it soon. I’ll even show you pictures.

Like you, I like pretty gardens, but only if someone else takes care of them. Or paints them or photographs them and I can see pictures of them. I don’t think I’ve ever owned a gardening book. If so, they’ve long been donated to the local library or given away.

But you’ll see.

Will I name my new plants? I doubt it. If I talk to them, will they talk back? What language would they speak? Would I understand it? 🙂

Sending hugs,
    xox
    s

• June 2, 2010 at 10:24 am

I’m with you on gardening, and I claim allergies as my reason for avoiding them. But I’m going to try hard to plant one this year. Looking forward to your report!

• June 2, 2010 at 10:26 am

Hi, Sallyo…

Long time, no hear. Are you okay? I don’t have allergies, but I have other issues. Anyway. You’ll see what happens, soon!

Good to hear from you.
      Hope all is well with you and your hubby.
      xox
      s

• June 2, 2010 at 11:11 am

Hello Sandy,

Sorry to disagree – I love planting my own gardens – flowers, veggies, herbs, weeds, whatever grows. For a few years while living in Sudbury, I grew tulips in the shape of a heart, irises in the shape of the capital letter “I” (in honour of Mikey’s daughter’s name and favourite colour), veggies in circles with flowers and herbs in the middle (something like a maze to reach the herbs and flowers).

I love the idea of giving something the space and nutrients needed for life.

As a child, I worked in our family garden for hours pulling out weeds and watching each plant grow, buds turn to leaves that offered shade for the beans, tomatoes, or other little treats. It was one place that was “safe” and happy.

As you play in the dirt, rather than think of that old sandbox, feel the cool texture of the soil, living and giving life.

• June 2, 2010 at 11:24 am

Hello, Sonia ~

We can always agree to disagree, my dear friend. Your experience has been so different from mine, growing up in the city. Being a pavement pounding person.

You, up north in the country.

I am thrilled that you have the magic of Mother Nature in your fingers.

Perhaps things will change for me.

Many hugs and must run. Too much to do.

Good to hear from you and hope your classes are going well.

xoxo
      s

• June 2, 2010 at 1:22 pm

Oh have fun!!
    I adore gardening but we live on the 3rd floor. We have a balcony though so I grow flowers in pots. Tons of flowers, mainly any kind of lily.

I had never ever been interested in flowers or growing anything until I was hit by my first major depression. When I recovered enough I decided to do something that was beautiful and that I had never done. I started growing flowers and now have quite a collection of orchids. I really needed the beauty when I began, and something totally new. Friends etc., were dumbfounded at this new interest initially, especially the fact that I got so immersed in orchids.

• June 2, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Jessika,

We’re all different. I’m thrilled you’ve developed a love of orchids. I killed one last year when it was sent to me for my birthday.
      However… in 1965, when I had my first major psychotic episode and a diagnosis of schizophrenia and became catatonic during a seven-month hospitalization, when I came home, my mother decided that caring for a dog would be healing. We adopted a little Yorkshire Terrier.

Today, I cannot live without a dog. I have two. Dandie Dinmont Terriers. There is intriguing research to support that dogs and cats are very bonding for all humans, and promote wonderful hormones in the human brain when petting them.

Isn’t it amazing how we can all benefit and heal from caring for living beings ~ animal and vegetable. Not sure about mineral. 😉

Thanks again,
      sln

• June 2, 2010 at 3:47 pm

Hi, Sandy,

It’s raining here this afternoon, I imagine it is raining at your place too. Guess what? You don’t have to worry about watering! Nothing does plants more good than the nourishing droplets that fall from the sky.
    If you believe that you kill plants just by looking at them, then you probably will. It is amazing how strongly our inner beliefs can affect even the simpliest things in our lives. There is an invisible energy that we just can’t always explain, but the plants and animals of nature pick up on this energy. Do your dogs notice when to stay away from you when you are in a bad mood? Do they come close to comfort you when you are sad? What are they picking up on? Plants may not be as sophisticated as animals, but maybe they are and we have not yet discovered how sophisticated they really are.
    I know it sounds silly – but try transfering your good “I love you doggie” energy towards your plants and see how they do – kind of an experiment.
    Happy gardening – remember patience is not only a virtue – it’s a necessity when it comes to gardening.

• June 2, 2010 at 8:33 pm

Sheila…

Now, every time I think of you, I automatically think… “Oh, Mother Earth is writing…”

Yes, it was calming. I slept so well, without medication.

You’ll see in my next post. Today, I was busy working on other things that needed doing. I hope my flowers survive the downpour we had here and don’t drown.

The garden looks glorious.

All of it. I’m so thrilled. I’m going to take pictures and post them as soon as the rain stops.

You were so lovely to “garden with last night” and so kind to teach me to plan. I do not mind the fact that my hands have never looked as “natural” as they do now.

Ho hum… they’re just hands and they still work. Right?

And I’ll take your advice about good energy every time I look at my petunias, even the little orphaned cappuccino one, for which I am developing quite an affection, I’ll send it the same love I send to Riley and Lucy..

It is a such a sweet little petunia.

Hugs for now, and profound thanks for your advice.

It was such a trip, even feeding you a good meal. When it comes to food, I’m Lady Bountiful… and will always feed anyone who comes into my home.

I think I will learn the virtue of patience for gardening. You’d think, with all the practice I’ve had being a patient, I’d already have it.

Having a hypomanic nature counters what’s needed for patience, but I’ll try. My motto is Nike’s motto. “Do It Now.” That means “Grow, Now!” in gardening terms.

I repeat, I’ll work harder at it…

xoxox
    s

• June 3, 2010 at 10:08 am

Sandy:
    You can always get an orchid, phalaenopsis orchids or bridal orchids are easy and simple to care for. You put them in a window with plenty of light but preferably without direct sunlight, water them every 10 – 14 days (it’s a matter of temperature, humidity etc) and then you don’t have to do much more. When they are done flowering you leave them. Continue watering, give plant food, and eventually they will bloom again. They are a very common beginners orchid.