10 thoughts on “Making News by Speaking Out…

• November 10, 2013 at 7:55 am

Hi Sandy,
    I’ve been a ‘lurker’ reading your blog in the past and find it very difficult to comment but I was thrilled to see you back.

• November 10, 2013 at 8:13 am

Thank you, so so much. I am back and I intend to stay back. Your comment has made my day and it overwhelms me. I hope you are well and thriving. I wish you good days. Productive days. It is so hard, sometimes, to do what you know you have to do, but you can bounce back. We can all bounce back. We can all learn to be resilient, though it’s not easy.

Your comment spurs me on to keep on blogging and I am so grateful to you. Profoundly grateful.

Sending hugs and affection and good wishes, the best, always.
      xox
      sln

• November 10, 2013 at 8:19 am

By the way, I hope you will come out of your “lurking” and engage in our conversations. Speaking out is so healthy and as I pointed out, “Silence Hurts.” Just a thought and whenever you’re ready.

Take care and be well.

• November 12, 2013 at 10:00 pm

You’re back! I’ve been wondering about you. So glad to hear from you. Sending you a big hug!

• November 12, 2013 at 10:22 pm

Hi Julie,
      Yes, I’m back. I was hoping I would hear from you. Are you well and happy? Enjoying your work? I have had a terrible seven months. My husband was in terrible pain, chronic, for a year. It just kept getting worse and worse, but he’s much better since his hip replacement, though I am concerned that the surgeons removed his sense of humour during the surgery. (Ha, ha. Just kidding.) Losing my dog Riley just about did me in, Julie. He was so young. I couldn’t write anything. I was going to give up on my mental health advocacy, but now, I’m feeling re-energized.
      I am so so happy to see you. Thrilled with your comment. Other good things are happening at this end, too. So, my resilience has kicked in and I’ve bounced back.
      Take care, dear friend. Be well. We are long overdue for our cup of tea or coffee. Are you still singing your heart out?
      Thank you for writing.
      Hugs,
      sln

• December 8, 2013 at 2:41 am

So glad to have you back on your blog. So sorry for the events of the last few months. Hope your husband is doing much better. I have had both hips done and so thankful for what they now allow me to do.
    I appreciate your skill as a writer, your opinion and views of the world, and the challenges you raise to my thinking.
    Please, keep well and keep writing.

• December 8, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Hi Flemisa,

Thank you for your encouragement. I want to keep writing more, but there are still some challenging to meet here and they’re distracting. Every day life is getting better and better, bit by bit and that’s wonderful. You inspire hope in the future for me and my husband who is still struggling with some related health issues, but he’s improving all the time. I am filled with gratitude for your kindness about my writing and my opinions and views, which are changing and evolving constantly as I learn more. Sometimes I cannot write because I’m processing new ideas and perspectives. It takes me time. Right now, I’m there.

I wish you well, too, Flemisa. Good health and continued generosity of spirit, which you possess and so beautifully share. You’re lovely. Again, thank you profoundly.

Hugs,
      sln

• February 1, 2014 at 10:34 am

Just visiting your blog for the first time now. The more people like yourself sharing their lived experience is one of the most important tools in the acceptance of people with mental illness. In our own way we are trying to do the same thing. It’s nice to find others. Thank you.

• February 1, 2014 at 10:57 am

Hi Gary

Thank you for your kind words and comments. You are absolutely right about people sharing their personal experiences of living with mental illnesses and their recovery. This is the magic bullet. In whatever way you are adding to this vital dialogue, know that you are helping millions of people to accept that having a mental illness is part of life, just as having a physical illness is part of life.

For years, I’ve been speaking out and your comment today is your way of speaking out, too. I welcome your comment and your efforts to help others to acknowledge their mental and emotional problems and to seek the help they need to live in recovery.

Take care and be well.

Heartfelt thanks,
      sln

• October 6, 2015 at 10:14 am

This post resonated with me. I recently had to find a new therapist. While I was doing my research, I heard the term “comply” in nearly every discussion about the rules and regulations of different counseling places. I have worked in a prison facility long before my mental health issues. I’ve worked in the mental health field as well. The term “comply” was used so freely and it made me feel like I was a criminal, not a client or patient. Finally, the guy doing my intake at the place I chose seemed a bit young. As we were talking and filling out paperwork, he said the word comply 3 times. I finally had to interrupt him and tell him how and why I found that term to be inappropriate in that setting. He seemed genuinely surprised and apologetic and stated they had just had a training about mental health terminology, but he had never thought about “comply” and it’s relation to the treatment of criminals. He made a note so whomever my therapist was going to be would know of my preference, he stopped himself from using the term during the rest of our meeting, and he said he was not going to use the term in a therapeutic setting anymore.