8 thoughts on “The Zen of Knitting…

• March 28, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Sandy:

Check out this AMAZING knitting community … resources and support and lots of encouragement …

I got back into knitting a couple of years ago and was introduced to this website then when there were only 1,000,000 members. Now there are 2,000,000 and it’s steadily climbing.

Gill

• March 29, 2012 at 8:20 am

Hi Gill,

Thank you. Yes, Mary of Mary’s Yarns introduced me to Ravelry, though I haven’t yet truly explored that site. I knit a hat for myself from one of the patterns I found there.

So thoughtful to let me and others know about this truly “amazing” knitting community. I will investigate more closely thanks to your recommendation.

Take care and be well.
      s

• March 31, 2012 at 4:12 am

I do origami, have for over 20 years now. I fold cranes in front of the tv – as sure solution to make me quit biting my nails. Cooking also puts me in a meditation like state. It’s me and the cookies.
    For fun you can look up guerila knitting or, as its more commonly referred to, knitting grafitti.

• March 31, 2012 at 10:57 am

Good to hear from you Jessica.
      I will look up “guerrilla knitting” as you suggest.
      Anything that works, I think, is a gift. I wish writing did it for me, but I’m not there yet. Working on embracing my imperfections and just letting my fingers flow. But it takes so much thought. That’s the problem with writing as mindfulness, I suspect.
      Hope all is well with you.
      xox
      s

• March 29, 2016 at 7:26 am

Loved your writing here, about your knitting. Hope you, and those babies with their blessed blankets are thriving. They are not babies anymore as years have gone by.

• March 29, 2016 at 9:39 am

Hi,

Thank you for this sweet note. You’re absolutely right. One of those babies is now three and a half and he loves my knitted “creations.” Right now, I’m knitting him a stripped sweater, one of several I’ve knitted for him. Also, he has a little sister, for whom I knit another blanket. I still love knitting, especially for others, and find it endlessly relaxing. Also, I’ve joined a knitting circle, taken several classes and derive enormous pleasure from knitting.

I hope, if you are a knitter, that you, too, gain the benefits of knitting. Recently, I’ve read several articles that describe how knitting can be calming and mentally and psychologically healing and beneficial. So, as therapy, knitting is certainly at the top of my list, along with regular “oil checks” with my psychiatrist. I carry my projects with me and it’s a great way to pass the time in doctors’ waiting rooms, and on subways and buses.

All my best and happy knitting,

Sandy

• April 15, 2016 at 3:04 pm

Hi Sandy,
        I just want to say thanks for this blog, I stumbled across it through Pintrest and it made my heart sing! I truly hope that your recovery is continuing and that you’re well.
        When your darling nephew and niece are ready, please teach them to knit. As with your mother and yourself, knitting was a wonderfully bonding activity in our family. My sister was never a knitter until our mother became terminally ill so we taught her whilst mum was bedridden. Over the months, we laughed, cried, shared patterns and techniques. It gave my sister and I such a sense of calm to busy our brains and hands with a piece of complex knitting. Mum died recently and we looked at her stash, her needles and patterns with a joyful remembrance. Remember, there’s a kiss in every stitch!
        Love Becky x

• April 15, 2016 at 5:43 pm

Hi Becky,
        I want to thank you wholeheartedly for this utterly wonderful comment. I especially adore your maxim “there’s a kiss in every stitch!” I prefer it to “there’s love in every stitch,” and I’m going to amend my wording of that sentiment. Yours is sweeter and more specific. A stitch really is a bit like a kiss, isn’t it.
        Most importantly, I found it heartwarming to know that knitting stitched your family even closer during your late mother’s illness. I sincerely hope that you and your sister will “knit” through her stash and create beautiful “knits” that will be worn in loving memory of her.
        That’s how I feel about my mother and her needles and her stash. I have made toys and blankets for my great nephew and niece from their great grandmother’s stash. They may not appreciate these creations now or understand that they are filled to overflowing with “kisses and love,” but their mother, my niece, certainly does.
        Yesterday, I had a spare hour and popped over to my knitting circle. There were a few familiar faces and others who were new to me. No matter. We all bonded with our needles and marvelled at our individual projects. They inspire me and I always feel better, lighter, when I leave.
        Please accept my profound sympathy on your mother’s passing, Becky.
        With affection and gratitude.
        xox