7 thoughts on “Living with CHRONIC PAIN: A Personal Perspective

• March 20, 2013 at 1:55 am

I too live with chronic pain. I found out the I have genetic disease in my spine. Your story made me cry cause I relate to it very much. My special needs nephew is the one that inspires me to go on and make life go on living,you see Zayden was born when I became fully disabled and he has had cancer,delays in his development and 2 strokes. I have to make it through the pain for him. Because if he can live with a smile so can I. Even though I have very bad days and I have some really bad ones. He is learning to walk at 3 years old, so as much as I feel bad, I just can feel that bad for myself. My husband and family who are supportive,tell me all the time how giving and lovable I am no matter what.Honestly sometimes I miss the career I had but being around them gets me through.

• March 20, 2013 at 4:35 pm

Thank you for taking the time for reading my post. I tried something new this morning. Zayden wanted to video chat with someone this morning and his mother my niece called me first to chat with him and we visited and it put a smile on both our faces. You are very right things do happen for a reason and I am still learning that everyday and putting my grief behind me.

• March 20, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Thank you for the blog. I am looking forward to your writing. I became very ill almost two years ago and was eventually diagnosed with Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension. I have a shunt in my lower spine and a stent in my right cerebral venous sinus that was severely collapsed. Despite three surgeries and many medical procedures and tests in the last year, I continue to have daily pain and migraines. I never quite fit the traditional IIH profile so it is really sort of a mystery what happened to me. I have two little girls and a husband who would like their wife and mother back. I would like my life back. But we keep moving forward. I also have a sweet dog we adopted last year who keeps me company during the day. I have a great network of neighbors friends and school parents who have helped us out in many ways. It’s funny how some friends drop off your radar when something like this happens, while new ones are ready to jump in and lend a hand. For this we are blessed.

• March 20, 2013 at 3:31 pm

I just turned 35. I’ve been living with chronic pain since 16, when I was in a car accident and broke my C3-C4 vertebra. Then in 2003 my C4-C5 vertebra collapsed in a minor accident leaving my left arm paralyzed. After a fusion and 2 yrs of therapy I now have full function in my left arm and hand. The problem I’ve had is every 2-3 yrs I’ve had to get a another fusion. I’m up 5 total fusions within the last 10 years.
    I did graduate college with a degree and even had an athletic scholarship playing field hockey. I miss being competitive and active and I also miss not having my career or being able to have children and my own family.
    My last surgery was this past June 2012. They placed 4 rods at my C6-C7 because it was fractured and did a lapendectomy. This has been a hard recovery. I want to have dreams. I’d like to work one day, I’d like to get in shape, and I’d like to have goals and things I work towards. It seems like I’ll start on this path and then I do something where I injure myself by pushing too hard or just the pain alone keeps me from being able to stay with things continuously and be reliable. I know there has to be ppl out there with similar stories…but it’s hard to find them. Also many ppl seem to have issues with their meds. I am on meds but I would never abuse them.
    I think the biggest thing living with chronic pain is the isolation. The hiding of my pain and pretending things are ok, and mostly the lack of understanding from family and friends. I appreciate you listening and look forward to your blogs.

• March 20, 2013 at 9:53 pm

Thanks so much for starting this page/blog here.

• April 11, 2013 at 9:05 am

I have poste to other blog comments but I too have had surgery on my neck for degenerating discs. Mine is along story, beginning possibly as long a go as 1955, when I suffered the first of two whiplash injuries( the second occurred when I was 20 in 1968). In 2004 I developed severe pain in my right arm and shoulder and was told the problem arose in my neck and that I would ‘ need a fusion and the disc removed’).However surgery was done on my rotator cuff. It helped’ clean’ things up, but as I refused a full rotator cuff repair a 2.3 cm tear was not repaired.It is not a decision I regret as I have full function). However terrified by my neck scans, which showed damage to my vertebrae I researched an alternative to fusion ( which I learnt places stress on the discs above and below the fused ones) and came across a clinic in Germany that did disc replacement surgery. I now have an artificial disc between C5/C6 and full function. However sadly perhaps I had developed, separately chronic idiopathic neuropathic pain( which no Doctor would take seriously for four years) It is now controlled by medication. In many ways I feel lucky, as I am not disabled, but I know many people who are and who suffer far more than me. So in retirement I work voluntarily to help those who are disadvantaged or disabled and my diary is fuller than ever. I have led a full life, have a husband, two daughters and three grandsons! Oh and I have a dog.

• April 11, 2013 at 1:41 pm

I would like to say that it is very nice to have a place to vent. Chronic pain is a difficult thing for other people to understand or recognize in others. I am 42 years old, I have a daughter 22, a step son 19 and my son 18. I have had chronic pain issues for many years and am still trying to cope. It is like a constant hum of a transformer some days, just achy and there, other times its like you fell of a truck at 50 mph and rolled and rolled so even your hair feels pain. My pain consists of Degenerative Disc disease in lumbar spine, bursitis in both hips, Golf Elbow on arm, tennis elbow on the other, and on top of all that wonderful stuff, Fibromyalgia, Anxiety, and Major Depressive Disorder, Post traumatic stress disorder, and osteoarthritis. So when people ask me how I am, I respond “still here”. The medications I take have so many side effects, that they qualify for a diagnosis. These afflictions are incurable and not very motivating. The stress and sadness of this cycle of pain is often overwhelming not only for the sufferer, but the entire family and circle of friends. There is no way to plan anything till the hour before you go. I am no longer employable, and no longer able to drive. This is a serious problem for maintaining hope, motivation, and faith. Independance is gone, dignity is lost, and the next thing you know your sheltered in your house. We have to stop this cycle and try to encourage each other to get through it in small steps. Write about it, talk about it, don’t be embarrassed, this is how it is. I have a tremendous support system , my husband, my children, my parents, and my friends check up on me, call me, listen to me when i need to and the most important thing of all is the love they have for me is unconditional and not derived from pity. Hang on to your loved ones and have no fear cause love and affection are always near, reach out and ask for the help that you need, that is the answer to help you succeed.