Comments on
A Surprising and Common Impediment to Happiness

Here are ten everyday habits that have been proven, in study after study, to make people happier. As you read the list, think about how often you practice each one:

• Giving: doing things for others
  • Relating: connecting with people
  • Exercising: taking care of your body
  • Appreciating: noticing the world around
  • Trying out: continuing to learn new things
  • Direction: having goals to look forward to
  • Resilience: finding ways to bounce back
  • Emotion: taking a positive approach
  • Self-acceptance: being comfortable with who you are
  • Meaning: feeling part of something bigger

A charity called Action for Happiness,

6 thoughts on “A Surprising and Common Impediment to Happiness

• November 9, 2015 at 1:35 am

I’ve tried this. It does not work. Failure has only driven me to despair. Modern people are very mean. It does not matter if you’re nice or like yourself. You will be treated horribly if you are gay. Horribly. You will be treated badly even in the gay community. I am tired of being treated as less than human. Therapy does not work.

• November 9, 2015 at 3:00 pm

Dear Unguy, I’m so sorry you’re having these terrible experiences. I assure you that therapy can work, if you find the right therapist and put your all into it! Please try it again. I wish you all the best.

• November 9, 2015 at 9:05 pm

I am working on this, but having people around who accept me as I am is also important. My parents never seemed to see me as a distinct person. My mother died a year ago and she only saw me as shadows of people she had grudges against. I am now free to discover who I am, but feel like it is almost too late to really have a fulfilling life. But I will keep trusting it is possible.
    My faith is really important in believing I am worth something.

• November 11, 2015 at 12:15 pm

Dear Jonice,

I appreciated your words. It took me awhile to grow into self acceptance, but I’m there. Having a sense of humour about my foibles–past especially, and still, the present ones–was huge for me. If I was a character in a movie or book, I may have laughed at my situations many times; living them was never so funny.
    My experience was that of being–or acting as if–I was an extension of others egos. And mostly men.
    Counselling, forgiveness, and mini-lettings- go helped me achieve the goals of “self” and the subsequent ” self acceptance”.
    I’m with you in saying that it is achievable for all. Self acceptance that is.
    What a wild concept that we should forgive others for their mistakes and imperfections, yet not our own.
    Maybe if we accept that we are first a stranger to our selves, then maybe we too, on the path to self-knowledge and acceptance, could treat ourselves more kindly??

Cheers,
    Heidi

• November 11, 2015 at 4:45 pm

Dr. Webb-You are a remarkable psychotherapist-judging from how you so accurately hone in on people`s problems.If I weren`t so òld`-having rationalized my entire existence-I certainly would seek your advice-Thanks for listening-JM

• November 16, 2015 at 12:28 pm

Thank you so much for your articles and posting all you can to help the CEN children like myself. I can not afford the program your offering this year, so I’m pleased I was pleased to see this article. I have been doing 12 step work for over 16 years doing several programs, but separately. I read the blogger’s post earlier about manipulating or justifying myself/ their self through most of their life…and I could relate. Although as I typed this just now I realized that if I do not know myself…like you said, I can not know the whole story. I want the last half of my life to matter and it’s far better than the first half. My main problem is accepting myself and loving me. I am a four generation CEN from what I know about my parents, their parents and their grandparents. The buck stops her of course….what is sad was losing that ability to parent, but I’m chosing to believe that I don’t have all the right and perfect ideas. I have to continue to believe in a God that loves me. Donm’t know if this made sense, but I needed to write. Thank you ALL.