7 thoughts on “Happy Fathers Day, Emotionally Neglectful Dad

• June 20, 2015 at 9:12 pm

I never knew my father (divorce and he disappeared), met him when I was 33. Emotionally absent, abusive mother,poverty, molestation.

I took the “ashes” of my life and won a scholarship (because of what I have overcome…..thriving)…at 60 and am a Sophomore at 68!

I have a poetry book, Sanctuary of the Soul and have one poem entitled, The Fatherless Child.

• June 20, 2015 at 9:33 pm

Kate, you are an inspiration for all. Thanks for sharing!

• June 21, 2015 at 7:52 am

I would like to share my story of forgiveness, on this Father’s Day. Thanks, rajesh

• June 21, 2015 at 8:53 pm

I wish my Dad failed me in one important way, establishing an emotional connection. Instead, I grew up without enough to eat, in a home infested with bugs and dirt, with emotional, physical and sexual abuse. I used to wake up with a gun to the back of my head and my father would say to me “If you tell, I’ll kill you” referring to the sexual abuse. In high school, he locked me in the cellar for three days and tortured and raped me. Last time I saw my father at age 20 he physically attacked me, and the cops came. At the advice of a psychiatrist who I saw that day, I’ve been estranged from him since. What do you got for that, psychcentral?

• June 24, 2015 at 1:02 am

Cross out Father and insert Mother. This is me and my mother. I have never seen a better explanation of my relationship with my mother. Where was this insight on mother’s day I ask? Thanks for the revelation! I am going to bookmark this and re read it to help me in my relationship with my mother.

• June 16, 2017 at 8:33 am

Like some others have said, emotional abuse is often comorbid with other kinds of abuse. Lots of other kinds. Stop preaching the forgiveness message. Even the Bible doesn’t insist on forgiveness without repentance.

• June 16, 2017 at 9:41 am

Thank you for your comment. This article is not about abuse, it’s about benign neglect, which often exists in the complete absence of abuse. And there is nothing about forgiveness in the article. Best wishes to you.