17 thoughts on “20 Small But Substantial Ways You Can Use Covid-19 Isolation to Emotionally Grow

• March 29, 2020 at 11:30 am

Brilliant article, thank you. I agree with this idea. I have already tackled decluttering and improving my computer-related skills (I teach English, and have to do online teaching now) Also, I’m making the most of the extra time with my family, am back into regular exercise, and am cooking more (especially with all the wild garlic available now) Also, a lot of issues have come up since the whole family are on lockdown. As close and connected as we are, there were things we needed to work on. This extra time has allowed us to do that. Despite the cause being awful (a pandemic) this extra time has been a blessing. I am going to tackle some of the other ideas on your list! Thank you!

• March 29, 2020 at 11:49 am

Dear Nicky, I am amazed! Your use of this negative event is inspirational. Thank you so much for sharing!

• March 29, 2020 at 12:53 pm

These are great tips for sure . . . for people with time. I really love your articles!

However there is seemingly no one yet commenting on those of us single parents with an inept ex-spouse who’s safety precautions are unknown to us yet our children are visiting them? Or tips on “single mom working from home? Thanks graciously in advance.

• March 29, 2020 at 5:32 pm

Hi Sharon, thanks for offering those great ideas. I’m sure there are many, many folks in those situations who could use some help!

• March 29, 2020 at 3:40 pm

I’m sick of all these people telling me to do meditation or learn a course right now or some other kind of self focused bs.I am stuck in a house with a very lively seven year old boy right now, day after day,,just him and me. Yes I feel lost and alone but above all I feel like there is no room at all for my needs because,as usual, as a single mother,there really isn’t any room for me to write a novel or do an online course. I am barely coping, just like everyone else, but what this really brings up is that I’m not only utterly alone and my son is completely dependent on me,there is also absolutely no room for my feelings and needs at all. And THAT is the primary core feeling of my childhood…somehow this list seems to be for single people only.

• March 29, 2020 at 5:37 pm

Dear Monique, I’m so sorry you are in your current situation. It sounds very overwhelming. I hope perhaps you can connect with someone over skype to talk? Many therapists will do skype, especially now. I encourage you to check the Find A CEN Therapist List on emotionalneglect.com and try to connect with some support. It’s so important to take care of yourself so that you will have more to give your son, who needs you so much right now. Sending you positive wishes for your health and safety in this difficult time.

• March 30, 2020 at 12:15 am

I am finding I am coping well with the current situation Jonice. I read your book last year and have given a lot of thought to my past, now re-framed thanks to you and your work. I wrote to you recently saying I have experienced bullying from some of my family following the death of our mother. I have now turned that around for myself in the form of a letter to the family members concerned. I think I have passed on some of the understanding and knowledge and forgiveness that I have gained over the years through counselling, reading books like yours and just plain hard work on myself. I don’t know what the future holds regarding my relationship with my family but I feel real peace for the first time in my life. Cathie.

• March 30, 2020 at 9:44 am

Dear Cathie, I’m so proud of you for figuring all of this out. It’s not easy to set limits with family members. Keep on doing what you’re doing, it’s great.

• March 30, 2020 at 2:06 am

Do people who work not have mental health problems? Loads of people in work commit suicide. What about mental health support for those slogging their guts out in isolation?

• March 30, 2020 at 9:48 am

Dear Jane, I’m not sure I understand your question. This article is meant for all who are trapped at home. Working or not, we are all experiencing that feeling of being trapped and stymied. Working or not working we can all use some help.

• March 30, 2020 at 11:23 pm

Jonice,

I am so happy to have learned of your work. While I never got my degree in counseling psychology, I have a Master’s in Psychology. I believe that your work will open up a new area for Psychologists to help their clients.

I look forward to reading this blog to help people move through this fearful and confusing period of time. My mom is 96 and her comment was, “I lived through the depression, WWI, and WWII and I will make it through this. She is my inspiration

NancyQ

• March 31, 2020 at 8:17 am

Your mom inspires me too, Nancy. Thanks for sharing!

• March 31, 2020 at 4:53 am

A really great article, I now really wish I could do those things, unfortunately I am sat staring at my computer screen working from home all day, wishing I could find the time to declutter or learn another language.

Nothing has really changed except I can’t really go out and work is now in another room instead of a commute away. Trying to stay positive and focused can be a challenge in itself.

• March 31, 2020 at 8:16 am

Dear Becky, can you do something for yourself during your commute time? Are you paying attention to your own needs? Perhaps you’re performing an essential job to saving lives right now, which would make sense to sacrifice yourself for. But if not, perhaps you can put up some boundaries for yourself in your work.

• April 1, 2020 at 2:41 am

Every day looks the same and it is really starting to get to me!! I live alone and though I speak to people on the phone or computer from time to time, I can’t even remember the last time anyone hugged me or I hugged a loved one. I just feel either anxious, alone and empty lately.
    I try to keep busy around my fairly small apartment but the there is only so much I can do right now. That is partly because of my health. I have fibromyalgia, hypertension, sleep apnea which is untreated (but previously diagnosed) and messing with my sleep. Plus I have a bulging disc in my neck and a few months ago I began having knee pain in both knees that causes difficulty climbing stairs. My doctor ordered xrays and found bone spurs on one knee. Oddly enough, the other one is now worse! I was referred to physical therapy but due to coronavirus, that is on hold except for the home exercises I can do. Mobility is starting to be impacted in terms of walking too far and climbing or rising from a sitting position. It is discouraging…
    I just want to get back to our regularly scheduled lives lol! I am going to read your article again and see what I can incorporate into my life as it is now! Lori

• April 1, 2020 at 12:27 pm

Dear VR, you are indeed up against quite a few challenges during your confinement. I think working on some choice goals will help you cope. Sending you a virtual hug 🙂

• April 2, 2020 at 10:57 am

You are right on Jonice. Wanted to let you know about the new book I just published about ch neglect and abuse. I would love to get your feedback. Maybe we could even exchange books?
    Mine is on Amazon-Call me Worthy.