37 thoughts on “52 Ways to Say You’re Angry

• January 12, 2020 at 11:47 am

Good one! I added it to the list. Thanks Ann!

• January 12, 2020 at 11:46 am

This is a great explanationabout anger that I can give my clients–and of course helpful to me as an individual also! Thank you!

• January 12, 2020 at 11:55 am

Hurt, marginalized, disrespected.

• January 12, 2020 at 12:01 pm

Thank you Susan! I added them to the list.

• January 15, 2020 at 11:07 am

I agree. Disrespected. I feel I would not have much respect from this person. I drop out of his/her life in some way

• January 15, 2020 at 12:59 pm

Speaking up about your feelings gives an alternative to cutting people off. This way, people can make mistakes and take responsibility for them, sometimes even making the relationship stronger than it was before.

• January 12, 2020 at 2:09 pm

Excellent post. I grew up in a home where it wasn’t acceptable to express emotions. I have oscillated between holding in anger and then blowing up when it got too much. I noticed this especially with my abusive now ex husband and with my father. Having access to these words will help.

• January 12, 2020 at 2:17 pm

I’m so glad Beth. I hope you find yourself expressing your feelings more often.

• January 12, 2020 at 3:41 pm

Very good. I’m a therapist who encourages people to use the word “indignant” and note that it indicates anger in the face of one’s dignity or rights being violated. “Morally outraged” is another way to consider this experience. This normalizes anger as self-protective and “righteous” in its cause, which gives some conflict avoiders strength to speak up.

• January 12, 2020 at 5:44 pm

Great idea and a subtle distinction that makes a difference. Thank you!

• January 12, 2020 at 4:39 pm

My favourite is incandescent with rage or just incandescent!

• January 12, 2020 at 5:43 pm

I’ve never heard incandescent used that way Helen. I love it! Thanks for suggesting it!

• January 12, 2020 at 8:33 pm

Livid

• January 12, 2020 at 10:03 pm

Good one Christina thanks! I’ll add it to the list.

• January 13, 2020 at 4:03 am

Irked
    Narked
    Vexed

• January 13, 2020 at 9:18 am

Good ones. I’ll add them to the list!

• January 13, 2020 at 6:36 am

Seething…
    Nothing quite like a good ole seethe ..through a clenched snile this is a cross between a snarl and a smile …lol

• January 13, 2020 at 8:40 pm

Demeaned & dismissed

• January 14, 2020 at 9:52 pm

Betrayed, belittled

• January 15, 2020 at 12:33 pm

I just read you 52 ways to say you are angry, and I found it unsettling to say the least.
    I’m unsure where you got these words, but clearly you didn’t read through the list carefully.
    •Dangerous does not mean angry.
    •Blood thirsty does not mean angry, and is extreme, in a way that defies explanation.
    •Surly does not mean angry.
    Those are three, but there are more. Surely you are not advocating a “blood thirsty” response to some one at whom you have feelings of anger.

• January 15, 2020 at 1:08 pm

Dear Lil, all of the words on the list are different facets or variations of an angry feeling. My point is that it’s very important to be able to put accurate words on what you are feeling. Even if you never say, “I feel dangerous,” to another person, saying it to yourself is important and can help you realize what feelings you need to manage and own. Feelings are not actions, and in fact, knowing and naming your feelings increases your control over them. Thank you for this excellent question!

• January 15, 2020 at 12:41 pm

To deal with severe anger and disappointment I write a short story about the person toward whom I feel anger. I change the name slightly ( ex Mary becomes Molly).The story is very sarcastic, unkind but a true reflection about how I feel. I do not send the story or allow anyone to read it. in abut one week I re-read this story and I usually laugh. I remind myself how thin skinned I am and remember that I have a real skill with expressing exaggerated drama!. My hobby is writing and I almost enjoy these little satire”anger pieces’. People who know I do this often request to read the stories. No way it is my own personal outlet and too unkind sounding to share. Upon my death they will be burned by a close friend–unread according to the friend’s promise. If he reads them I will be very angry and disappointed–wherever my spirit may be. Good witch Minnie.

• January 15, 2020 at 1:12 pm

Dear Minnie, I love your coping mechanism of writing stories! I hope it doesn’t keep you from saying what needs to be said to people who do truly hurt you. Thanks for sharing!

• January 16, 2020 at 1:38 am

Thank you Dr Jonice you enlightened us. dont you think that most of the time we really feel angery when our relatives technically exploit us but due to our reaction we may also lose some of the benefits that we really need it.
    so as a skill I think, we have to calculate the gain and lose within time interval.

• January 16, 2020 at 9:41 am

Yes, good point. Time is helpful when we use it to think things through and decide on a reaction. But if we let it go too long, we may lose the energy that would have also helped us.

• January 16, 2020 at 12:37 pm

It helps to have read, that to stick to speaking with someone about a line that was crossed by expressing owned feelings in a vulnerable way, is a test of who they are. To me this means that if someone has hurt me many times, I risk nothing if I find that they are truly not a friend. It will help form good decisions about further action. I need to learn how to keep believing it isn’t me if I encounter outbursts of laughter or further fun with my vulnerability, though.

• January 16, 2020 at 3:04 pm

Dear MadEnn, anyone who laughs or takes advantage of your vulnerability does not deserve to be your friend. Beware of giving someone too many opportunities to hurt you.

• January 18, 2020 at 12:09 am

Caustic, perturbed, riled, venomous, apoplexy