12 thoughts on “The 3 Areas of Your Adult Life Most Affected by Childhood Emotional Neglect

• October 13, 2019 at 11:34 am

I am a teen and I was lucky enough to have your resources to help me realize I’m emotionally neglected. Is it still possible to heal when you’re living in an unhealthy environment?

• October 13, 2019 at 1:51 pm

It is harder, for sure. It helps very much to be aware of when CEN is happening and to pay attention to your own feelings. See if you can get an appointment with one of the CEN specialists on the Find a CEN Therapist page of this website.

• October 13, 2019 at 1:18 pm

This is all very interesting and it fits me, except I do all-too-well recall the parental disparagement of my feelings, and I do feel & acknowledge my feelings now, as an adult, but seem never quite to use or express them to my benefit, so they hurt. For all the times I’ve wished to turn off and/or ignore my feelings, it’s been impossible!

• October 13, 2019 at 1:52 pm

Dear Kate, you are referring to some emotion skills that you can learn: how to understand the message your feelings are delivering, and then use and manage them.

• October 13, 2019 at 4:49 pm

This article just answered 60 years of worthlessness.

• October 14, 2019 at 8:46 am

And now you will know what to do about it. I’m so happy to help you find answers, Gina. Take care!

• October 20, 2019 at 3:32 pm

The pain of attempting to walk through the pain to heal is necessary. I found out I now have cancer and the hope to heal has somewhat lessened and it hurts. To be alone with no family left is brutal. I wish everybody here good health both mentally and physically…

• October 20, 2019 at 4:23 pm

I’m very sorry about your diagnosis, Ishtar. I hope you will work to heal both physically and emotionally. As you said, it is necessary!

• October 24, 2019 at 12:23 am

I was glad to find this site some weeks ago…things have changed and I am NOT saying this out of wanting pity, but I’m getting sicker with this cancer treatment, and wish i wouldve gotten help years ago…why? Because I might have had a chance to fight to feel anything but what I’ve felt and known all of my life. I don’t matter to anybody. I don’t or I wouldn’t be sitting here alone. I have made the decision to stop the cancer treatment I will die much sooner and that is a relief now not a fear. I won’t write here anymore. Its not good to be so negative and I’m very sorry for that…

• October 24, 2019 at 10:15 am

Dear Ishtar, I hear depression in your voice here. People faced with a cancer diagnosis often get depressed, so you are actually feeling something normal that other people can understand. Please talk with your daughter frankly about what you are going through, and ask for a referral to talk with a trained therapist. Do not give up because there is help and there are answers. And depression can be successfully treated!

• October 28, 2019 at 3:42 pm

I need you to know how much what you said means to me and how much I needed to connect with someone going through what I too am facing.
      I’m healing/feeling as I reach out to you in love, empathy and respect.
      You are making an authentic choice which is regaining your soul. Be true to yourself.
      Please take care of yourself and share if you can cause I NEED YOU to know, I know. Peace

• November 6, 2019 at 5:09 am

Thank you for describing my secret life, when will the collective conscious wake up? I see children being bullied by their own parents every day and no one reacts or cares.